Multi-colored lights on cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-colored lights on cab

I've seen several new trucks on-line with multicolored lights on the rear side of the cab. Usually 4 or 5 different colored lights stacked one above the other.Can anyone tell me what they are used for ?

tank water level.

Comment

Pretty big lights for water level.I'm talking about the 4 lights just past the rear door of the cab.
      Attached Files

Comment

those in the picture are water level indicators, though i think ive seen them as as warning lights.

Comment

I know for a fact those are water level lights.

Comment

All of our new units (past 4-5 years) have them. They're great! Especially on things like grass/brush fires. At a glance you can see how much water you have left to work with.

BTW, they do not double as warning lights.

Kevin
            Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
            IAFF Local 2339
            K of C 4th Degree
            "LEATHER FOREVER"
            Member I.A.C.O.J.
            http://www.tfdfire.com/
            "Fir na tine"

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I would of never thought they were water level lights.

Comment

Yup, makes it so much easier to take a quick glance to see the tank level than to have to call the pump operator and ask. It also allows the pump operator to easily monitor the tank level if they step away to make connections or such. The guys here love them.
                I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
                "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
                -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Comment

I have heard some user input that the four seperate lights as shown in the photo above, as opposed the multi-colored LED strip light (think one long strip with multi-colored LEDs) is easier to see from a distance.

Anyone else have experience with the strip type unit?
                  "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it is up to the pump operator to monitor the water level, not a nozzle team or the I.C.. The good point about calling the pump operator on the radio and inquiring about the water level is that everyone on the fireground hears it, including the I.C. and any other companies operating. And if the pump operator is making connections, then why not put a slave tank level gauge on each pump panel and at the rear?? This way, all s/he has to do is look up and it's right in front of them, not on the side of the cab.

Just my .02 worth

Comment

Originally posted by npfd801
                      I have heard some user input that the four seperate lights as shown in the photo above, as opposed the multi-colored LED strip light (think one long strip with multi-colored LEDs) is easier to see from a distance.

The lights are each a different color...(blue, green, yellow and red) They're all easy enough to see from a few hundred feet. LED is obviously brighter than incandescent, but just how far away from the unit will you actually be on any given line?

Kevin
                      Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
                      IAFF Local 2339
                      K of C 4th Degree
                      "LEATHER FOREVER"
                      Member I.A.C.O.J.
                      "Fir na tine"

Comment

Originally posted by bgcjmc
                        Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it is up to the pump operator to monitor the water level, not a nozzle team or the I.C..

Just my .02 worth
                        It is up to the driver to know. However, what is the harm in knowing (I.C., hose crew, other units, etc.) at a glance, without extra chatter on the air, how much wet stuff is left in the tank?

Obviously, the lights are useless to hose crews in a structure fire, but the I.C. and the driver can still glance at them, can't they?

Just another tool...Necessary? No. Helpful? Yes.

Kevin
                        Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
                        IAFF Local 2339
                        K of C 4th Degree
                        "LEATHER FOREVER"
                        Member I.A.C.O.J.
                        "Fir na tine"

Comment

We've been using the Whelen 500-series LED's on our rigs at work for several years now, and they seem to work well. We recently took delivery of a tanker that has the Whelen PSTANK "strip" light - to me, it doesn't appear to have a lot of off axis power. That is, you need to be in-line with the front of the light to get a "true" idea of what it's reading.
                          Career Fire Captain
                          Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

We ordered this system on our new engine, due to be finished ina couple of weeks. It allows the IC to moniter water without tying up the radio to ask the pump operator water level status, which can be a great benefit for a department with a single operational frequency. It will also have a benefit for those departments where a pump operator is a part of the firefighting team and not tied to the pump ... and there are a lot like that including my old department back in the northeast.
                            Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

A neighboring department has the separate lights like in the picture above and my department has the LED strip light with the different colors. Both can be seen at good distances and angles and there have been no complaints about either.
                              I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
                              "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
                              -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X