2007 Diesel Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Diesel Fuel

I was at the fuel pump yesterday when I noticed the diesel sticker stating that the fuel was not to be used in any 2007 diesel engine. Just wondering when the new diesel fuel is coming out and what are FD's and others doing about this issue when they buy a new pumper that is 2007 compliant?

ULSD fuel

The date that sticks in my mind for universal availability of the ULSD fuel (<15 ppm sulfur) is Oct. 1. Actually, there's a lot of it out there now. Many pumps aren't marked for it yet because the transportation, storage and dispensing systems haven't been purged and tested yet.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Comment

If you have been watching the news lately you will see there is a ddiesel fuel shortage. This is due to fuel companies depleting their reserves at the pipe line to clean storage tanks and test them for the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel. THe Governor of Nebraska just waived the DOT regulations concerning the number of hours transport drivers could run just to keep up with the demand. basically the drivers are having to go down the pipeline to the next fill point and get their load of fuel. You may already be running the ultra low Sulfur fuel and don't even know it.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I try to stay up on all the news but miss things from time to time. I guess NY is a little behind in some areas.

Comment

If you have an older diesel you will know
          Things will start leaking
          Leaking bad
          Older as I understand than about 2001 depending on engine manufacture
          I would suggest check with manufacture
          You may want to look at fuel addatives on older engines
          As I understand the manufactures have been prepared for this and have been using compatable materials for the last 3-4 years
          But like I said I would check with engine manufacture
          Thanks
          Ray

Comment

Ulsd

Going through the same problem downunder.
            Some fuel suppliers ie BP and I think Mobil are adding a small percentage of Biodiesel to offset the lack of lubrication created by ULSD.
            Specific fuel formulations vary from each fuel supplier so some may be better or worse than others.
            As a last resort the addition of a small quantity of biodiesel will help to reduce the problem.
            Some councils (counties) are switching to using biodiesel. This is not a problem providing vehicle fuel tanks and systems are relatively clean. However older vehicles may suffer clogged filters or leaking fuel hoses due to the cleaning action of biodiesel. Biodiesel has a limited shelf life and may not be suited for use in fire trucks with large fuel tanks that are not frequently used. Most are using B5 or B20 so again the percentage is low and avoids problems larger concentrations give.

The older seals in fuel pumps shrink when exposed to ULSD and swell with exposure to biodiesel. Both can create problems and the fuel companies are using the effect of one to offset the other.
            Last edited by wombat; 10-26-2006, 09:19 PM.
            Disclaimer
            These views are my own and not of either my brigade or any other organisation.

Comment

ULSD potential leak problems

At our county Engineers' Association meeting last week we had a guest speaker from a large lubricant distributor, and that very subject came up. As explained to us, when LSD appeared a few years back leak problems certainly did occur. They were unanticipated and mostly but not exclusively associated with Cummins engines.

As others have mentioned, much of the leakage problem was due to the lack of lubricity that had been provided by the sulfur in the fuel that was suddenly and drastically reduced causing seal failure. Reformulating the seal material seemed to correct the problem in pretty short order.

The thinking now is that the problem, if it recurs, should not be nearly as severe. The seal materials that were adopted aren't as dependent on sulfur for their lubrication. The advent of ULSD has been anticipated for several years and factored into the equation. But just like the last time, there're always those surprises. Stay tuned, boys and girls!

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Comment

It'a already here and like everything the Gov puts out that is "new and improved"anticipate problems.We had 'em the last time and I doubt this time will be any different.Want to save the enviornment? Ground a few planes. T.C.

Comment

We are already using ULS fuel and there are lots of problems, they are testing an additive in the EMS busses. Time will tell...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X