Marion Pumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marion Pumpers

Looking at Marion as a possible vendor for a pumper sometime in the near future. I'm looking for expierences in dealing with them, good and bad as well as the quality and flexibility they offer in building. Thanks in advance

Marion

Marion was one of six bidders for our engine (see "Toyne Wins"). Even though we happily bought Toyne, I can't say anything bad about Marion. Of the six, after Toyne, Marion came closest to meeting our requirements. Granted, they are best known, around here, anyway, for heavy rescues. But we have seen several examples of their engines, both aluminum and stainless, and have come away impressed.

Their salesperson in our area, Joe Palombi of Continental Fire and Safety in Trenton, N.J. is a long time Trenton city firefighter. He put a tremendous effort into listening to us and understanding what we were trying to accomplish. He was frequently on the phone with questions and contributed some valuable suggestions.

I don't know where you are located, or anything about the dealer where you are, but if they're anything like Joe and Continental, you'll do well. But take a look at Toyne, too. Good luck!

I do not sell anything. I am part of a focus group that International Truck & Engine Co. has put together to give them input and insight into fire service needs. However, my fire department does not own any vehicles on International chassis.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Comment

Although we don't own any Marions, one of our neighboring departments do. It seems as though they have had some problems with them. They have had a mini rescue for a few years and just bought a new engine that is less than a year old. They have had fairly constant problems with the rescue, mostly electrical problems. The warning lights and siren will come on when the truck is just driving down the road. The multiplexed electrical system seems to be the part that keeps giving them problems. The only problem that they have had with the engine that I know of is the fact that it wouldn't start. It turned out to be a bad switch on the Spartan chassis, but the fact that they have had problems like not starting with a truck that isn't a year old yet worries me. I have talked to some of the guys down there and they are all wondering how they will hold up over the lifespan of the truck. I do like the bodies that they make. Pouring over them, the bodies seem to be quite well made and solid. I haven't talked with anybody that has one with some years and miles on it, but I would be intrested to see how they hold up in the years to come.

Comment

A single problem in its first year? I havent worked on a new apparatus yet that only had one problem during the first year we ran it.

Comment

Our department is having some serious problems with Marion right now. The are well over contract time and they don't seem to care. They are going to be 60-90 days over the contracted time. We were suppose to pick up our new heavy rescue at the end of June and now it is end of July and they still have not started any of the plumbing on the truck. So I guess it is going to be end of Aug. before we get the truck. I I will keep you informed on what happens.

P.S. Marion was 30K less than the next builder so that is why we went with them.
          Last edited by jkuhn22; 07-28-2006, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Having problems

Mr Jkuhn22 should really have all the facts before he prints them out. Marion was not that low in the bidding, actualy they were less than $9,000.00 under the next bidder with the equipment. Marion does care about a late delivery and jkuhn22 should look up the meaning of approximately in the dictionary. Approximate delivery dates mean just that, and things occur that can make a delivery date late. I don't think it is right to slam a 100 plus year old company like this because they are late on a delivery. I am sure the truck when delivered will be everything you expected and then some. I am sure your "final price" was agreed upon at time of bid award, so the statement about hiring a lawyer is obviously nothing more than Jkuhn22 blowing smoke.

Comment

IF a company gave me an "approximate date" and did not update me with new dates and missed that "approximate date" by over a month...you can damn well expect they would be "adjusting" their final price. It's really not that hard to put penalties into your bid specs. Miss the date by a week, $X, miss by another week, $XX, etc.

If you are willing to accept a delivery date of "when they feel like it", have fun.
              "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42
                IF a company gave me an "approximate date" and did not update me with new dates and missed that "approximate date" by over a month...you can damn well expect they would be "adjusting" their final price. It's really not that hard to put penalties into your bid specs. Miss the date by a week, $X, miss by another week, $XX, etc.

If you are willing to accept a delivery date of "when they feel like it", have fun.

I agree w/Bones.

To me 60 - 90 days late would be unacceptable....UNLESS there were other things that did change during the construction period such as the department making major changes.

Comment

I in no way meant anything bad towards Marion as a company and have only heard great things, which is my I was surprised that our truck was late. I want to apologize for any confusion I caused and want you to know that I am extremely excited to get our new truck and continue to hold Marion in a good light and hope to work with them in the future.
                  Last edited by jkuhn22; 07-28-2006, 09:04 AM.

Comment

As Chief of the department mentioned by JKhn22 and overstuffed I would like to clear up any misconceptions this has brought up. Marion was in line with the other bids, one of the mfg was >$30k more. After careful research and contact with many departments, we felt Marion had the best reputation. We recieved only two negative responses from 30-35 inquiries. After visiting Marions plant, we walked away impressed with their facility and pleased with their help. We believe them to be a quality manufacture. (and sure hope so since we spent a large sum to buy this rescue truck).

As far as the delivery, we take responsiblility for that. There was no time limit or pentalty clause (our mistake that won't happen again). Marion has kept us informed throughout the process. Originally it was first of June, mid July and now mid Aug. While not thrilled with this, there is no violation of our contract. I will update this thread either positive or negative when we get delivery.

Comment

Just keep in mind that the if a delivery-penalty clause is written into the specs, the manufacturer will usually increase their price to offset the fact that they might have to "pay" for a rig that is delivered past the anticipated date.
                      Career Fire Captain
                      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X