No announcement yet.

GMC/Chevy 4500--good/bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The EMS service I work for part time has two 4500 amb, they have been in service about 9 months I think??? They have not been recieved well; they seem top heavy, sway very bad as traffic passes, not alot of room in the cab(its real bad for the passenger). The EMS provider has already changed to the International chassis for the next 4. FYI they used the old F-450 Superduty prior to 1999, then changed to the current F-350 superduty.

Comment

yes .........LCEMS just bought some from http://www.burgessambulance.com/
      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

It all comes down to who 1. Speced the unit 2. Who built the module. I agree on the leg room issue. IMHO same as a E series - needs a cab extension. If no extra sway bars speced that might be a problem. I also feel if you do not put the right wieght module onto the right chassis causes problems - ruff ride, top heavy etc.

Comment

they take a while to get, we ordered a 5500 chassis in March and just recived word that it will be built on Oct. 8.....so get ready to wait

Comment

also seee this months Jems magazine ............Charlotte SC/NC is running 4500 4 door units as transporting units !
            ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
            RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
            LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
            I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Comment

here is a pic of the Lucas Co EMS a brand new Life Squad that went into service Tues.
              Last edited by Weruj1; 10-30-2010, 08:37 PM.
              RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
              LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Comment

Passenger leg room is an issue with these things. driver comfort though is pretty good.
                As far as a unit feeling "top heavy" thats just too much box for the chassis.

These medium duties are great for what they are made for IMO. I would take one in a heartbeat over a F450 or F550.

I spend a lot of time in a 4500 and to tell you the truth it has done everything i have asked of it. I go into some tight places and it turns a circle in what was a 3pt turn with a C3500. it always has plenty of power and doesnt feel tipsy when i got a load on it.

Another thing.. the vision all the way around these is great.
                Last edited by k1500chevy97; 07-20-2006, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Dragonfyre,
                  it may be possible that we are looking towards a 6500 in addition to our current 4500 is it possible you could PM me.
                  or if you have AIM contact me that way "johndeereguybgdk" (after 6 pacific for AIM)

Thanks.

Comment

excuse the glorified pick up--its just that from what i see, they share so many componets from a lighter duty truck. it seems like this truck is more prone to failure, do to somewhat inferior parts. i realize that this may not be the case, but i dont think that the 4500/5500 shares a lot with the the 3500.

Comment

for a brush truck/off road platform the GMC4500/5500 series has an advantage over the Ford series (i think?) - tire size and greater rolling footprint

for optimium loading, I've been told by someone "in the know" that with either series of truck you have to be carefull of water tank and pump placement - with 6000# on the ford and (edited to 8000#) on the GMC5500 putting the tank up against the cab can overload the front axle, especially with the 2door models. the 4 door puts the loading back further by the added length of the cab.

The ford, and perhaps the GMC to a greater extent are "half steps" between pickups and medium duty trucks. If you want more carrying capacity/axle/brakes than a 1 ton, but don't want to spring for a IH, Freightshaker or Pete medium chassis, they may be the ticket for you.

In looking at an advertisement for a GMC C5500 4x4 wildland truck by Unruh, http://unruhfire.com/firetrucks.htm they state that they can get a and 3000 series Allison in the 5500. Is that a typo ?(edited to add - GMC website shows 1000RDS Rugged duty and 1000EVS emergency service allison trannies - no 3000 series shown by gmc on their website?)
                      Last edited by pfd3501; 07-24-2006, 05:08 PM. Reason: GMC 5500 axle ratings

Comment

I personnally own both for plowing snow

550 built up pickup
                        5500 downsized medium duty

4x4 550 maximum GVW is 17,950
                        4x4 5500 maximum GVW is 19,500

4x4 550 front axle GAWR 6k
                        4x4 5500 front axle GAWR 8k

Downside is gearing is 5.13 highest in 5500 vs 4.30 in 550

Tighter turning radius in 5500

Service from medium duty truck dealer (5500) MUCH better than Ford car dealer service on 550

Straight frame rails: Doesn't get stuck in snow as easy....

I won't go back to Ford after driving the 5500.

No dents in 5500 hood from intercooler line blowing off after 6.0 overboosts

Would I build a 5500 ambulance, probably not because of the height.

International builds a 4200 4x4 in 19,500 GVW and 25,900 GVW... That is probably what I am going to get next.

Comment

Should add that a 5500 2wd can be speced up to 26,000GVW so that crew cab mini pumper is probably ok

Comment

gas?

chevy doesnt do gas engines in these right? does ford put the v10 in 4/550s/

Comment

They actually put the big block 8.1L V-8 in their medium duties (325 hp and 450tq.)

So yes you can get it with a gasser if so desired.

And Ford also puts a gas engine in the 550 and 450 it is the 6.8L V-10
                              Last edited by k1500chevy97; 08-13-2006, 10:05 PM.

Comment

which is better, ive heard the diesel is a bit of a slug.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X