Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

E-One Red Deer Closing - It's Official

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-One Red Deer Closing - It's Official

This is an exerpt from an article from an article on the NYSE in regards to Federal Signal

....Revenues for the group rose 7% mainly due to price actions taken in 2005 to recover escalating materials costs. The operating loss improved modestly due to higher realized prices in the US, largely offset by a less profitable sales mix out of the Finnish operation, operational inefficiencies in the Canadian plant and higher legal and consulting expenses. On April 25, 2006, the Board approved management's recommendation to close the production facility in Red Deer, Canada before the end of the year, and to supply the Canadian market out of the US. The net financial impact of the closure is expected to be immaterial, and the group's fixed cost position will improve modestly....

Here's a link to the article

Too bad it's all a corporate america lie!
    I worked there 19 years, I watched it all happen. Lies, all of it is lies!

Comment

The dollar is almost ar Par now too, so the savings that were once apparent by a Canadian manufacturing plant are long gone.

They can continue to supply from the US, and not worry about the trade parity.

Also, competition in the market is getting ferocious. Once there were three choices in Western Canada for apparatus: Superior (E-One), Hub, and Fort Garry. Now, ALF has bought HUB which really boosted their profile, and Rosenbauer is stepping into the mix with a dominant presence too. IMHO, there are just too many choices for a small market to support them all.
      Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

correction......ALF does not own HUB. HUB is owned by three parteners.

As far as Superior closing, it's too bad. They once made an excellent product but couldn't afford to keep good guys around. Fort Mcmurray is just too tempting for a tradesmen.

Comment

Closing of Superior in Red Deer

Originally posted by mcaldwell
          The dollar is almost ar Par now too, so the savings that were once apparent by a Canadian manufacturing plant are long gone.

They can continue to supply from the US, and not worry about the trade parity.

Also, competition in the market is getting ferocious. Once there were three choices in Western Canada for apparatus: Superior (E-One), Hub, and Fort Garry. Now, ALF has bought HUB which really boosted their profile, and Rosenbauer is stepping into the mix with a dominant presence too. IMHO, there are just too many choices for a small market to support them all.
          I sorry for the dedicated long term employees of Superior that will soon be having to look for work but the good thing is that the Alberta job market is booming so they shouldn't have any problems finding new and high paying jobs and I wish them all the best of luck in sourcing a new job.

As to MCaldwell' comments: FYI-There were once four (4) in Western Canada-Anderson's (now gone), Hub, Superior and Fort Garry. ALF didn't buy Hub but they are/were? the ALF body building partner in Canada but I've heard that that has changed too.

Rosenbauer is now in the mix after former dealer for Superior-Rocky Mountain Phoneix took on Rosenbauer

But you've seemed to overlook or not know that Smeal has had and continues to increase a very major presence in Canada for the past 10 years with many of the larger FD's as Vancouver and the Greater Vancouver area FD's as well as Calgary and Edmonton and close to 90% of the FD's in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area)

The US$ vs CAD$ exchange rate was a hinderence in some cases especially in the days of Thibault/Nova Quintech but not for the past few years as almost all the components come from the US anyway. The only Canadian Content is the labour and some of the US builders have lower labour costs compared to some of the Canadian companies.

Comment

E-ONE Canada

I work for an E-One dealer, just returned from FDIC.
            The fact is they were competing for workers with the oil industry. You cant plan production with rapid changes in available employees to build the trucks.
            Later.

Comment

For the record

Originally posted by gilamonster
              I work for an E-One dealer, just returned from FDIC.
              The fact is they were competing for workers with the oil industry. You cant plan production with rapid changes in available employees to build the trucks.
              Later.
              Let me tell you something about facts.
              There are only facts if they are true.
              Having said that, here's how it went down.

(Now I will not, get into intimate details as this space does not allow it.)

It is a fact that about 1 1/2 years ago, "we" (oops, "they", as I no longer work there) did lose a couple of very good people to the oilfield. Only a couple, it was no big deal as we still had plenty of loyal talented people.

Then John Foord who was the GM at the time quit to work at Startec in Calgary, presumably for a boat load more money.
              Marc Gustafson reacted by, (the ********* he is) sending up a headhunter named Pete Mateja to be interm GM, and to be Ocala's eyes and ears. In July of last year, (known at E-One Canada, as Black Friday) an announcement was made that all sales and related functions would be done through Florida. The beginning of the end. It is at this time, that rumours inside and outside the company started to circulate that we would either close, or be sold.
              A company who shall remain nameless, did make a bid to buy the place, but of course, federal signal wanted WAY too much money and the potential buyer went away laughing.
              For almost a year we struggled along, every week getting less and less direction or help from down south. People started to worry about the future, and with no way to subside thier fears, they slowly started to leave making it more, and more difficult to keep scheduled dates.
              So, you may buy the load of crap corporate america is selling, it's a free world.
              I know the truth. Marc G and his band of idiots have murdered Superior/E-One Canada. This is all by carefull corporate design.
              Last edited by LC1500; 05-02-2006, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Mostly true

I can verify a lot of the events of the previous post. However the begining of the end besides profits (the true reason of Saulsbury closure) was a result also of a strong Canadian dollar. When the exchange was around 1.60 the profits of vehicles shipped to the US soared. When the rate got to around $ 1.30 the flow to the US was like a tap being turned off. Unfortunatly Red Deer overhead did not keep pace with the weaker dollar. I think an effort was made to increase profits from trucks built for Canada and the mission failed as the overhead was still there and pricing was way over market pricing.

The writer is right on the mark about Pete Matje's short mission.

Good luck to all former Superior employee's, as you used to build "Canada's Fire Truck"

Comment

Originally posted by Firesmylife
                  I can verify a lot of the events of the previous post. However the begining of the end besides profits (the true reason of Saulsbury closure) was a result also of a strong Canadian dollar. When the exchange was around 1.60 the profits of vehicles shipped to the US soared. When the rate got to around $ 1.30 the flow to the US was like a tap being turned off. Unfortunatly Red Deer overhead did not keep pace with the weaker dollar. I think an effort was made to increase profits from trucks built for Canada and the mission failed as the overhead was still there and pricing was way over market pricing.

The writer is right on the mark about Pete Matje's short mission.

Good luck to all former Superior employee's, as you used to build "Canada's Fire Truck"
                  You are correct, the (corporate) management at the time, used to celebrate the fact for years Superior made great heaps of money on the exchange rate.
                  You are also correct that as the dollar began to improve in value, there was absolutely no plan to react to said change. You see, since Superior was bought by e-one in 1991, all AOP's were done by corporate and we were expected to perform to a ridiculous standard. One year alone they told us to build almost 450 units and our AOP would be based on that number!
                  We couldn't build them if they didn't sell them.

However, up until Black Friday we still made money, retained excellent employees, and morale for the most part was good.
                  Last edited by LC1500; 05-02-2006, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Alf

For the record:

ALF of BC contracted HUB fire Engines to build bodies and install pumps for them up until very recently. With the recent change in ownership of American LaFrance, a corporate directive was issued to cease the arrangement.

American LaFrance does not own HUB. American LaFrance LLC has the following manufacturing facilities:

Ladson, SC - (soon to change to a brand new plant close by) - This plant makes formed 3/16" Aluminum and S/S pumpers

Sanford, FA - This plant makes Extruded Rescues, Hazmats, Commands, Ambulances, Air & Lights Units, and now Pumpers too!

Hamburg, NY - this plant makes S/S pumpers primarily

Ephrata, PA - This is the home of the Aerial Plant - Formerly LTI, and Tele-SQURT.

Also, there are a couple of refurb centers, where ALF modifies existing units, as needed.

SOON ..... The Western Canadian Market will get to see a bunch of these trucks, as many contracts are already underway. And, they will be impressed.

Comment

I guess that makes sense. I was not fully informed on the arrangement between HUB and ALF, but we just bought two trucks from them in the last two years (an engine and a telesqurt), and from the outside, HUB appears to have all but dissappeared. All of our dealing were with ALF employees, and we were told you couldn't buy a HUB truck anymore. Everything is badged ALF with a small inconspicuous HUB tag on the body.

Too bad, because the old HUB trucks came off the line better than the recent "Partnership" trucks. Hopefully they get it cleaned up before our next truck purchase in 08.
                      Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by VanIsleEVT
                        correction......ALF does not own HUB. HUB is owned by three parteners.

As far as Superior closing, it's too bad. They once made an excellent product but couldn't afford to keep good guys around. Fort Mcmurray is just too tempting for a tradesmen.

Much more to it than that as I also worked there. A million other central Alberta manufacturers can make it work. Hiring labor wasn't the issue, doing some of the inexpensive right things, and wanting to keep your people there is where the gold is.

Comment

Originally posted by LC1500
                          Let me tell you something about facts.
                          There are only facts if they are true.
                          Having said that, here's how it went down.

(Now I will not, get into intimate details as this space does not allow it.)

It is a fact that about 1 1/2 years ago, "we" (oops, "they", as I no longer work there) did lose a couple of very good people to the oilfield. Only a couple, it was no big deal as we still had plenty of loyal talented people.

Then John Foord who was the GM at the time quit to work at Startec in Calgary, presumably for a boat load more money.
                          Marc Gustafson reacted by, (the ********* he is) sending up a headhunter named Pete Mateja to be interm GM, and to be Ocala's eyes and ears. In July of last year, (known at E-One Canada, as Black Friday) an announcement was made that all sales and related functions would be done through Florida. The beginning of the end. It is at this time, that rumours inside and outside the company started to circulate that we would either close, or be sold.
                          A company who shall remain nameless, did make a bid to buy the place, but of course, federal signal wanted WAY too much money and the potential buyer went away laughing.
                          For almost a year we struggled along, every week getting less and less direction or help from down south. People started to worry about the future, and with no way to subside thier fears, they slowly started to leave making it more, and more difficult to keep scheduled dates.
                          So, you may buy the load of crap corporate america is selling, it's a free world.
                          I know the truth. Marc G and his band of idiots have murdered Superior/E-One Canada. This is all by carefull corporate design.
                          That's not even quite right, but close. John had an offer but didn't quit. He got let go, the finance manager took over, but in the meantime Mr. Matea was sent up as a plan was already in the works earlier

Comment

Originally posted by mcaldwell
                            I guess that makes sense. I was not fully informed on the arrangement between HUB and ALF, but we just bought two trucks from them in the last two years (an engine and a telesqurt), and from the outside, HUB appears to have all but dissappeared. All of our dealing were with ALF employees, and we were told you couldn't buy a HUB truck anymore. Everything is badged ALF with a small inconspicuous HUB tag on the body.

Too bad, because the old HUB trucks came off the line better than the recent "Partnership" trucks. Hopefully they get it cleaned up before our next truck purchase in 08.
                            Actually, Hub has about 40 orders on their board at present time. Not sure why people think they are going down. They did cut the tie with ALF, but I don't think their desire to stay in the business and build trucks has changed, just that they are happier not being afilliated with ALF.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoseopolis
                              That's not even quite right, but close. John had an offer but didn't quit. He got let go, the finance manager took over, but in the meantime Mr. Matea was sent up as a plan was already in the works earlier
                              Well, well, well...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse