No announcement yet.

Commercial Chassis: Pierce Vs. E-one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First let me say that I am not confused about the need for a heavier chassis. Several of you have stated what I believe to be correct: You need the stronger frame and suspension components of either a well designed and well built custom chassis or a Class 8 truck chassis. The lighter duty vehicles were not designed to live 20+ years fully loaded. As to the wider custom cab fitting were a commercial cab will, I still stand by my opinion. The mirrors on the commercial cab must extend out to the point were the operator can see past the body lines. On a custom cab the mirrors must do the same, therefore the overall width should be the same. The grab handles do not extend past the mirrors, so that should not be an issue. The ground clearance may be an issue if angle of approach must be considered. In that area the commercial will win, otherwise they should be equal. As to the amount of personnel you can fit into either cab, yes more fit into a custom because it wider, but generally not wider than the body it carries. The commercial cab carries less because the shell is narrower. But as I stated before, add mirrors and you're right back to the same width. My experience training drivers used to commercial cabs and farm trucks including C-cab Fords has been that if the cab fits the rest of the truck will follow. But put them in a "wide" custom cab, they get nervous until you put the tape measure on both the vehicles. At that point they realize that it is just perception. Don't believe me, measure the trucks in your station. The overall width should be very close, if not the same.
    As to the original question, my suggestion is to look closely at the fit and finish of your intended vehicles. If it is to have a topmount pump panel check the step height and width. Also does the manufacturer offer a non-glare panel? Stainless steel will give a blinding glare when the sun is just right. Try to make the truck as maintenance free as possible. Both manufacturers offer stainless plumbing. Also I noticed on some trucks at a recent show (different manufacturers) that there was a card listing exact washing requirements. If these requirements were not followed the paint warranty would be void. Be careful with that. Can you guarantee that you followed the "rules". Both Pierce and E-ONE build a decent truck. Service after the sale is also very important. One question I have about E-ONE is on their paint process. On their brochures they go into great length about the primers and topcoats and how important that is to protecting the metal. Agreed! Why then don't they paint the underside of the body? This includes the bottom of the compartments and the areas that you don't see. It seems to me that these areas should have at least this much protection since these areas never get washed.
    Just my observations.
    Last edited by Engine153; 10-28-2003, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Engine153
      One question I have about E-ONE is on their paint process... Why then don't they paint the underside of the body?
      Not sure if the underside of our E-One is painted, I'm pretty sure it is painted black, I know the frame is painted black. Regardless, its all aluminum (the body and cab) and does not need to be protected. Paint on aluminum is purely cosmetic, and in some cases actually creates more problems.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Comment

We have just taken delivery on an EOne Top mount four door on a fl70. Seams to be a good truck. Bare bones no frills Not to much diamond plate. This truck in replacing an International top mount 4 door lemon. Make sure that what ever you get you speck it to fit your needs. We looked ar a Kenworth/pierce that we really really liked but .... politics ect we are back in E one again. Like i said the new truck seems to be built better than the one it replaced. The reps in your area will be glad to arrange a testdrive of any new local deliveries if it means that they get a chance at your bussiness. Good luck

Comment

Greg bring up a good point: get a demo to drive around, preferably in your district, but if not possible in your area then at least get some of your drivers behind the wheel in someone else's. These are the people that have to be comfortable operating the truck, not the chiefs. The test drive will give you an idea on where the truck will fit, how it will handle the terrain, and all of that other good stuff you'd like to know before buying a truck.

Happy hunting.

Brian
          Brian P. Vickers
          www.vickersconsultingservices.com
          Emergency Services Consulting
          Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
          Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help, we are going to get a demo from E-one to come so we can drive, pump, ect. The Pierce rep we talked to hasn't even offered one to us and the newest Pierce commercial chassis by Pierce in our county is a 1999. almost all of the rest have been by E-one. I'll keep you guys posted on what is going on. Thanks gregblewett for the first hand thoughts.

HTVFD

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X