X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resq14
    replied
    Originally posted by nmfire
    Like I said about the Traffic Advisor before, I don't give a hoot what the driver THINKS it means as long as they think SOMETHING and don't run me over.
    I agree. People don't need to see what is going on for the sake of "understanding it's a car collision." That's not to say you shouldn't direct scene lighting onto the area around the scene... I agree you should. But as long as people SEE there is SOMETHING up ahead, and SLOW DOWN and MOVE OVER, that's all I care about.

I say the more lights we have, the more visible we are to oncoming traffic further upstream. More doesn't necessarily mean blinding. The chevrons, reflective lettering, striping, body panels, rubrails... they all increase the visibility of our trucks. I think they're all great.

And while I'm not a fan of slime green fire trucks, why is it that ANSI Class III vests (those rated for highway speed traffic in all weather and lighting conditions) are combinations of fluorescent green, orange, and retroreflective material? Not pretty, but that's what meets the standard.
    Last edited by Resq14; 10-22-2003, 03:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Screw the chevrons and traffic advisors. What we really need are two of these babies flashing on the back of the truck...

http://www.saturnsurplus.com/lights/search.htm

150 MILLION CANDLEPOWER. This thing actaully has an "overdrive" setting! We will never get hit again because these things will just vaporize the oncoming traffic while it is still 1/4 mile away!!

Anyway, yea, I could see those chevrons with my eyes closed. As far as this pointing into the correct lane buisness... Yes, it has a specific meaning. However, just like the traffic advisor, no one on the road knows that. They just see it as "Warning! Danger Will Robinson! Danger!" No one knows it means you should merge left or right. It just means "don't hit me". Like I said about the Traffic Advisor before, I don't give a hoot what the driver THINKS it means as long as they think SOMETHING and don't run me over.

Leave a comment:

• ullrichk
    replied
    Originally posted by Dalmatian90
    Too many warning lights are worse than to few.

Too many times between us, the police, and the ambulance there's so many blinky lights a driver can't easily figure out what's going on.

Put out cones. Let the truck be protected by a couple slow flashers and reflective material. Put up scene lights and point them down so drivers can clearly see what's going on around the area, not be blinded by the flashing lights.

It looks like someone else is paying attention to the big picture! So many people think that lotsa blinky-blinkys are the way to go that we end up creating a hazard ourselves.

Sometimes we don't like to admit that you can have too many lights, that low tech cones can be better than the latest LED arrow stick, and that red may not be the safest color for fire engines (I really didn't want to go there!)

I happen to like the chevrons on the rear, but our stiping schemes should also outline the other three visible sides of our rigs. Sometimes you just aren't able to park where you want to.

Leave a comment:

• Dalmatian90
    replied
    BTW...sweet truck. Lot's of good ideas went into it!

Leave a comment:

• Dalmatian90
    replied
    Too many warning lights are worse than to few.

Too many times between us, the police, and the ambulance there's so many blinky lights a driver can't easily figure out what's going on.

Come 'on, fess up everyone -- how many times have we personally been like, "What the F?" when all you can see is flashing lights and can't figure out where the roadway is anymore.

A few, slower flashers to warn people. 110v scene lighting to illuminate the scene & around the truck. Reflective tape is good, maybe not quite as *much* chevrons Although I think the Chevrons are part of the upcoming NFPA Motor Apparatus revisions and/or appendix???

Basically, we get carried away with lots of flashing lights. Turn 'em off -- especially those strobes.

Put out cones. Let the truck be protected by a couple slow flashers and reflective material. Put up scene lights and point them down so drivers can clearly see what's going on around the area, not be blinded by the flashing lights.

Leave a comment:

• Citadel
    replied
    Originally posted by DFurseth
    Here it is on the 6-lane at a head-on fatal. The flash does make it stand out, but one can sure see it day or night.

D, Using this to clear up a point. If you flip the chevron from the point being at the bottom to the point being at the top, the result is the slant to the clear lane. Marty, I understand what you mean but short of having a panel you can flip from side to side where the WHOLE back slants to the open lane how ya gonna do it?

Leave a comment:

• DFurseth
    replied
    Here it is on the 6-lane at a head-on fatal. The flash does make it stand out, but one can sure see it day or night.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DFurseth
    replied
    Here is the final product with all the finishing touches.

Leave a comment:

• martinj
    replied
    chevrons...

In response to Citadel's comments:

It would be difficult to apply chevrons that point to the open lane. If you have worked in the emergency services for any length of time on units that respond to calls on busy roads/highways, you will learn that the emergency isn't always on one particular side of the road (if in fact it is to one side of the road and not in the middle of the road).

I believe the chevrons are a good idea. They may be a little ugly, but I have to agree with anything that promotes safety for the crews working out in that environment. I believe many of the other coments will add to that safety, including road cones and safety vests.

Just my two cents worth. Stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Originally posted by BC79er
    You've obviously never been to Houston. About the only thing that might channel traffic is a Sherman Tank.
    HAHAHAHAHA. Nice.

To be honest, before I joined the FD, I had no idea the traffic advisor was trying to tell me which way to go or merge. I just saw it and said to myself "Thats a really strange light." Frankly, it wouldn't make a difference where we are anyway. As long as someone sees "a flashing light" and slows down, I don't really care what they think it is.

Leave a comment:

• explr985
    replied
    Never personally seen them on a unit here BUT, if it keeps me from getting hit on I-40, US-421 or US-52, I am all for it. That also falls into the catagory with warning lights and sirens, but if it gets people out of the way and keeps them from hitting us, I don't care how it does it or what it looks like when it operating. But thats just me. I don't think it would look too bad because all of our trucks have diamond plate on the back, so silver/orange would look halfway decent.

Leave a comment:

• Weruj1
    replied
    nice unit and thanks for the pictures !

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Sweet................................

What a sweet looking Rig! Sure looks like you guys have covered all the bases in the design. The compartment layout looks very good and your equipment list is impressive. As for the Chevrons........... I'll hold my opinion.

Good luck with the new Rig

Leave a comment:

• Resq14
    replied
    It is clear that A LOT of thought went into that truck. I'm very impressed - congratulations to all of you that had a part in making it become a reality. I'd love to see it in person some time.

Leave a comment:

• Citadel
    replied
    Guys, only one comment. If you do put these on the back of your rig, The stripes should slope to the open lane. This is per DOT regs. Don't have the reg handy but if you look at the end of the guiderails or traffic control devices the stripes slope to the open lane. Just my two cents. Roc.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X