No announcement yet.

Reflective Chevrons to rear of Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many warning lights are worse than to few.

Too many times between us, the police, and the ambulance there's so many blinky lights a driver can't easily figure out what's going on.

Come 'on, fess up everyone -- how many times have we personally been like, "What the F?" when all you can see is flashing lights and can't figure out where the roadway is anymore.

A few, slower flashers to warn people. 110v scene lighting to illuminate the scene & around the truck. Reflective tape is good, maybe not quite as *much* chevrons Although I think the Chevrons are part of the upcoming NFPA Motor Apparatus revisions and/or appendix???

Basically, we get carried away with lots of flashing lights. Turn 'em off -- especially those strobes.

Put out cones. Let the truck be protected by a couple slow flashers and reflective material. Put up scene lights and point them down so drivers can clearly see what's going on around the area, not be blinded by the flashing lights.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Comment

BTW...sweet truck. Lot's of good ideas went into it!
      IACOJ Canine Officer
      20/50

Comment

Originally posted by Dalmatian90
        Too many warning lights are worse than to few.

Too many times between us, the police, and the ambulance there's so many blinky lights a driver can't easily figure out what's going on.

Put out cones. Let the truck be protected by a couple slow flashers and reflective material. Put up scene lights and point them down so drivers can clearly see what's going on around the area, not be blinded by the flashing lights.

It looks like someone else is paying attention to the big picture! So many people think that lotsa blinky-blinkys are the way to go that we end up creating a hazard ourselves.

Sometimes we don't like to admit that you can have too many lights, that low tech cones can be better than the latest LED arrow stick, and that red may not be the safest color for fire engines (I really didn't want to go there!)

I happen to like the chevrons on the rear, but our stiping schemes should also outline the other three visible sides of our rigs. Sometimes you just aren't able to park where you want to.
        ullrichk
        a.k.a.
        perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

Screw the chevrons and traffic advisors. What we really need are two of these babies flashing on the back of the truck...

http://www.saturnsurplus.com/lights/search.htm

150 MILLION CANDLEPOWER. This thing actaully has an "overdrive" setting! We will never get hit again because these things will just vaporize the oncoming traffic while it is still 1/4 mile away!!

Anyway, yea, I could see those chevrons with my eyes closed. As far as this pointing into the correct lane buisness... Yes, it has a specific meaning. However, just like the traffic advisor, no one on the road knows that. They just see it as "Warning! Danger Will Robinson! Danger!" No one knows it means you should merge left or right. It just means "don't hit me". Like I said about the Traffic Advisor before, I don't give a hoot what the driver THINKS it means as long as they think SOMETHING and don't run me over.
          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire
            Like I said about the Traffic Advisor before, I don't give a hoot what the driver THINKS it means as long as they think SOMETHING and don't run me over.
            I agree. People don't need to see what is going on for the sake of "understanding it's a car collision." That's not to say you shouldn't direct scene lighting onto the area around the scene... I agree you should. But as long as people SEE there is SOMETHING up ahead, and SLOW DOWN and MOVE OVER, that's all I care about.

I say the more lights we have, the more visible we are to oncoming traffic further upstream. More doesn't necessarily mean blinding. The chevrons, reflective lettering, striping, body panels, rubrails... they all increase the visibility of our trucks. I think they're all great.

And while I'm not a fan of slime green fire trucks, why is it that ANSI Class III vests (those rated for highway speed traffic in all weather and lighting conditions) are combinations of fluorescent green, orange, and retroreflective material? Not pretty, but that's what meets the standard.
            Last edited by Resq14; 10-22-2003, 03:53 PM.
            God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
            Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
            Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X