Reflective Chevrons to rear of Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bhfd24
    Our department feels the amber lights often used in the rear of apparatus to comply with NFPA are to too bright.
    Too bright? Why would you want dim warning lights?

Light your scene adequately if you are concerned about "blinding" drivers at night,

and

make traffic slow down by channeling them using cones, etc.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

Except for the fact that cones are considered targets. Not as manu points as the barrels (bonus if it's got a flashing light ) but a good target.

You've obviously never been to Houston. About the only thing that might channel traffic is a Sherman Tank. Hmmmmm. That Russian company makes a firefighting tank for forest fires. Anyone know how I can mount a light bar on a tank?
      Brian P. Vickers
      www.vickersconsultingservices.com
      Emergency Services Consulting
      Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
      Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14
        Traffic Sticks, Traffic Advisors, etc... a recent study -- I believe it was on respondersafety.com, I'll try to post the link -- showed that the average driver failed to understand or recognize a traffic directional stick on emergency apparatus.
        If you find the link, I'd love to read it.

We have a "brush" truck that's really multi-purpose. We're always out in it doing one thing or another. It's the first truck I've ever personally used with an arrowstick... and I think you could be right. Folks don't pay attention to it. On this particular truck, it gets lost amongst the edge bar right above it, the red rotators mounted on the rear of the body and the rear-facing amber LED flashers.

I can imagine that people in my department would balk at the big arrow you showed only because it looks like something you'd see on a highway department truck. However, looks like it might be very effective.

Edited to say: This is my 200th post. For a guy who signed up in 1999, it's about time.
        sigpic

Comment

Search out articles by Dr. Stephen Solomon. He's been published in Firehouse and other trade magazines. I recall that he mentioned arrow sticks in particular in his most recent article.
          ullrichk
          a.k.a.
          perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

I was not a big fan of the chevrons until I saw them for myself. Adding the equipment and other items on the rear of the truck takes away from the cherons a little, also the picture does not do them justice. We have already taken it on a call for an accident (not in service yet, just delivered Friday) on our highway and have only heard good comments from those who have seen it. If it keeps myself or anyone else on my Dept from beoming a street stain I'm all for it. Check out more pictures of the finished truck at www.deforestfire.com. Stay safe.

Comment

Guys, only one comment. If you do put these on the back of your rig, The stripes should slope to the open lane. This is per DOT regs. Don't have the reg handy but if you look at the end of the guiderails or traffic control devices the stripes slope to the open lane. Just my two cents. Roc.

Comment

It is clear that A LOT of thought went into that truck. I'm very impressed - congratulations to all of you that had a part in making it become a reality. I'd love to see it in person some time.
                God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
                Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
                Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

Sweet................................

What a sweet looking Rig! Sure looks like you guys have covered all the bases in the design. The compartment layout looks very good and your equipment list is impressive. As for the Chevrons........... I'll hold my opinion.

Good luck with the new Rig

Comment

nice unit and thanks for the pictures !
                    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Never personally seen them on a unit here BUT, if it keeps me from getting hit on I-40, US-421 or US-52, I am all for it. That also falls into the catagory with warning lights and sirens, but if it gets people out of the way and keeps them from hitting us, I don't care how it does it or what it looks like when it operating. But thats just me. I don't think it would look too bad because all of our trucks have diamond plate on the back, so silver/orange would look halfway decent.
                      No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er
                        You've obviously never been to Houston. About the only thing that might channel traffic is a Sherman Tank.
                        HAHAHAHAHA. Nice.

To be honest, before I joined the FD, I had no idea the traffic advisor was trying to tell me which way to go or merge. I just saw it and said to myself "Thats a really strange light." Frankly, it wouldn't make a difference where we are anyway. As long as someone sees "a flashing light" and slows down, I don't really care what they think it is.
                        Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

chevrons...

In response to Citadel's comments:

It would be difficult to apply chevrons that point to the open lane. If you have worked in the emergency services for any length of time on units that respond to calls on busy roads/highways, you will learn that the emergency isn't always on one particular side of the road (if in fact it is to one side of the road and not in the middle of the road).

I believe the chevrons are a good idea. They may be a little ugly, but I have to agree with anything that promotes safety for the crews working out in that environment. I believe many of the other coments will add to that safety, including road cones and safety vests.

Just my two cents worth. Stay safe.
                          Jonathan Martin
                          [email protected]
                          WPI Mechanical Engineering
                          "Be safe, use smoke detectors...be safer, sleep with a firefighter..."

Comment

Here is the final product with all the finishing touches.

Daniel Furseth
                            DeForest (WI)
                            Safe And Fast Extrication, Inc.
                            www.besafeinc.org

"Extrication is like jazz. Improvisation based on fundamentals"

Comment

Here it is on the 6-lane at a head-on fatal. The flash does make it stand out, but one can sure see it day or night.
                              Attached Files
                              Daniel Furseth
                              DeForest (WI)
                              Safe And Fast Extrication, Inc.
                              www.besafeinc.org

"Extrication is like jazz. Improvisation based on fundamentals"

Comment

Originally posted by DFurseth
                                Here it is on the 6-lane at a head-on fatal. The flash does make it stand out, but one can sure see it day or night.

D, Using this to clear up a point. If you flip the chevron from the point being at the bottom to the point being at the top, the result is the slant to the clear lane. Marty, I understand what you mean but short of having a panel you can flip from side to side where the WHOLE back slants to the open lane how ya gonna do it?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X