What do you think about Pierce Quints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about Pierce Quints

We have received a FEMA grant and are looking at a Quint type truck. Anyone with Pierce quint expierences good/bad/otherwise, any thoughts,comments, feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
    LT1CHFD

We have a 2000 with a 105' stick.

It is easy to operate. Almost Fire fighter proof. The suspension SUCKS !! It bounces ALOT over bumps in the road. We had some minor problems with some electrical issues.

But all in all, love it, and we are looking at replacing our Tower in a year or so and are looking at Pierce. Our current interim boss is looking to go for the rear mount but most if not all the rest want mid mount.

Ladder 3
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

I like the Pierce. Probably the best unit out there. A 105 with 500 h2o and big pump, TAK-4 to fix the suspension problems, maybe all steer for manuverability, Dash chassis with command zone. You really do need to look at them all.

Stay Safe

Comment

Pierce made the best quint we ever bought. Came 100% ready, good fit and finish. No hickups at all in 19 months.

The independent suspension option though was tried by E-One and it was a failure.

Comment

Key word E-ONE.

Comment

There's a handyman special available in Fort Collins, Colorado.

Comment

I bet you could get this one for a song. Bring your dust pan to ensure you get all the parts.

http://www.windsortribune.com/module...ticle&sid=1040

Comment

What is most upsetting about the accident is the complete separation of cab from chassis. Looking forward to some more details on this...
                "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

I wonder whose fault this will be. Of course it won't be Pierce's.

The picture is a little fuzzy. Is that a set of jaws to the left of the fire fighter?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42
                    What is most upsetting about the accident is the complete separation of cab from chassis. Looking forward to some more details on this...
                    Yeah I had to do a double-take when I saw and read that. Maybe it's engineered to do that to dissipate energy...
                    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
                    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
                    Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

We have a 2001 105' stick.

So far, no major problems, good truck overall.

I think we would've been better served by a 75' stick or even (gasp) a Telesqurt that would've addressed our water tower needs and still been plenty long enough for our buildings and setbacks, and for the few exceptional reaches six 100' aerials & towers are available in a 10 to 20 minute circle.

Ok, why do we need one when others are so close? If you're asking, you've never seen the fire an aerial master stream can eat when used aggressively when low on manpower -- much more efficient than handlines or even bomblines, and not waiting 15 minutes for a mutual aid ladder is going to be the difference between a stop and the whole building being involved.

Giving up that extra but usually not needed reach would've gotten us a single axle truck that was easier to manuever.

There's chimney fires now we no longer bring the ladder up for since it would be too much of a pain-in-the-butt to make the upteem point turn to pull into the driveway. Kinda shoots a hole in part of the arguement for the safety of the aerials to work off of, when you can't get it close enough and have to use ground ladders anyway.

I'd also shudder in my district of running it as the first due piece except to commercial locations well known to us. We can, eventually, get it in anywhere, but it's not a quick process. A Squirt would've met the needs.

*sigh* dreams of CAFS-equipped 70' Telesqurt with a 500 gallon tank on a single rear axle...now followed by a 1200 gallon Attack tanker would make a hell of an attack pair.
                      Last edited by Dalmatian90; 09-09-2003, 01:26 PM.
                      IACOJ Canine Officer
                      20/50

Comment

I have more where these came from

Check this out
                        Attached Files

Comment

more

Why did the cab seperate from the chassis? Why did the ladder rotate and extend 180? Why is the all steer that no one else uses seperated from the chassis? Looks like a major malfunction to me.
                          Attached Files

Comment

one more for now

Attached Files

Comment

Cab-Chassis Separation

Damn. I've never seen this happen in fire apparatus, and in one day I've seen two instances from the same manufacturer. I keep a collection of public safety collisions, and of the hundreds I have, I don't have any like these. Is this common in fire apparatus collisions? I'm sure rollovers exert tremendous force on the cab mounts, but I'd expect it to remain intact nonetheless.
                              Last edited by Resq14; 09-09-2003, 02:42 PM.
                              God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
                              Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
                              Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X