Pierce after FDNY???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pierce after FDNY???

Pierce has just debuted a new chassis that is specifically for high run departments. Here is a quote from their press release.

“The Arrow XT is designed to stand up to big city fire departments that make thousands of runs each year,” said John Randjelovic, president of Pierce Manufacturing. “It’s engineered and built to provide rugged, reliable performance year after year, run after run. It has the maneuverability to get through traffic, the strength and suspension to handle the worst roads and the rugged dependability that all departments need to perform at their highest level. For departments looking for a no-nonsense, urban workhorse, this is it.”

My opinion is that Pierce is going to use this chassis to go after FDNY and try to become their new supplier. Just my opinion. Any thoughts?

For more info go to:Pierce Arrow XT

Arrow XT

The Arrow XT was not built to be a "FDNY-specific" pumper. In fact, the rig that's in the picture is the first production Arrow XT, built for LA City. There are MANY departments that will benefit from the cab's features (less fabric, more metal; non-multiplexed wiring; etc), but I don't know that it will be enough to convince FDNY to look elsewhere, IMHO.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Just curious....If this new chassis is rugged and dependable what are there other chassis? Crappy and unreliable? Sorry, I had to ask!!

I just don't think FDNY will be moving away from Seagrave any time soon. They are very loyal to companies that take care of them and Seagrave has done an excellent job in that area.

When I was up at Seagrave a few weeks ago looking at our new quint being built their were FDNY and LAFD pumpers on the line. As well as the entire production floor being full of trucks being built.

FyredUp
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

hehe

Originally posted by FyredUp
        Just curious....If this new chassis is rugged and dependable what are there other chassis? Crappy and unreliable? Sorry, I had to ask!!
        hahahahaha

God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
        Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
        Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

I caught that line about high run depts also. But 1400 trucks del'd a year tells me different.
          As for FDNY, with the entire fleet one brand, think about the assortment of spare parts they have available. I had a rep tell me, he didn't think they wanted the NY acct. I can understand a part of that. FDNY likes their Seagraves, I like my Pierce Quantum thank you.

Comment

Mack

I was told there was a time when if a rig was responding in NYC it was a Mack. Now, it's Seagrave. I've been assigned to both. I go hands down on the Seagrave.

Of course I cut my teeth on a 1923 Seagrave open cab 750 pumper. Here's a picture of the old '23 with Squad 51 from Emergency:

http://www.eatstress.com/squad51.htm

Fire "Captain Bob"
            Author of the new book Becoming A Firefighter--The Complete Guide to Your Badge!

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
            http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Doesn't FDNY just buy whoever can build them rigs that meet spec for the lowest $? Exhibit one: they are now buying some engines from Ferrara.

Comment

I believe the Ferraras are specialty pumpers. Third stage high pressure pumpers built to FDNY specs.

FyredUp
                Crazy, but that's how it goes
                Millions of people living as foes
                Maybe it's not too late
                To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I hope they did something with the interior of the XT!
                  Because our Arrows interior sucks! Theres no room and crappy visibility for jump sit riders. The Sabers are night and day difference over the Arrows. I have to agree with Fryedup...don't we all want a dependable rugged rig?

CaptD

Comment

Ferrara has also donated alot of apparatus to FDNY, the contract for the HP pumpers may be a show of appreciation.
                    My Fire Apparatus Photos: x635Photos.com

Seth G., Round Rock Texas

Comment

Originally posted by DRA177
                      I hope they did something with the interior of the XT!
                      Because our Arrows interior sucks!
                      CaptD
                      Yes, the interior is much improved, it's much like that of the Enforcer and Dash now. Remember that the Arrow XT is a tilt-cab, so it does not have the massive doghouse between the two rear seats like the previous Arrows did.
                      Career Fire Captain
                      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

The Arrow XT in my opinion is a Pierce version of what Spartan did for St. Louis in the way of an "Extreme Duty" interior. As "fireman proof" as possible by using metal surfaces whereever possible and easy to service switch panels, etc. The fact that the Arrow XT cab is engineered as a tilt cab tells me that Pierce is not concerned with the F.D.N.Y. contract. Pierce has enough to say grace over with their current loyal customers. Hell they are on the top of the heap, with a few others, as far as units produced each year anyway.
                        As for Ferrara, the F.D.N.Y. contract to them is for 3 High Pressure pumpers, not an entire wholesale fleet swap over. As someone else said, I think it was an appreciation contract for everything FFA did post 9-11, but thats just my opinion. I agree with BoxAlarm187 in that Pierce did not build this specifically for F.D.N.Y. I saw both the Seagrave and Pierce pumpers for L.A.F.D. at I.A.F.C. this weekend. To be honest, the Arrow XT is nice, but there is something about a Seagrave labeled for L.A.F.D. that seems to ring true historically. Another thought, the color scheme seems to be different that the last batch of L.A.F.D. rigs, maybe a little more orange in it but they look good none the less. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
                        Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Comment

Im am not a NYC firefighter but I have attended school at thier front line school for officers in Queens and got to ask them why seagraves...he told me it was because they have so many companies in service and men are detailed to other houses everyday, so that when you are transfered to another company ,the engine should be set up pretty close to the company you came from. I was also told its easier to stock part for one type of vehicle has opposed to several. It is a training and cost issue for them.
                          IACOJ Membership 2002
                          {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader