X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Originally posted by hazenfd
    We bought two 75'ers last Christmas with 2000 gpm, 500 tanks, foam, hallide floods, squirrel tails, Cyclone 2 cabs, 450 hp, allow wheels, dual rotorays, ton of attack lines, 2200 foot 5" beds for $408,000 each
    HazenFD, can you contact me off line at [email protected]? I have a couple of questions for ya. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• ffcromer
    replied
    Problems with single axel

We have a 65' Pierce single axel quint. Many problems with springs/shackles. Truck leaned to right rear. After spring re-arch it leans to left front and pulls. Be careful on weight.

Leave a comment:

• fireresq30637
    replied
    Sutphen?

We looked at a 70', platform, midmount, single axle, 500 gal. tank, 1500 g.p.m. pump, 6 man cab, with 2 stabilizers (not outriggers, so you cannot short-jack this truck, sets up at a max. of 6 degree slope) etc. anyone know any information on these trucks (goo/bad/ugly)!?! Thanks again! You all have really been alot of help and we really do appreciate your help and input!
    Last edited by fireresq30637; 08-21-2003, 07:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hazenfd
    replied
    I think in most cases you are better off buying a demo. You get more for your money. With the exception of maybe a dozen quints almost all are cookie cutter designs. So all the talk about I have a custom quint isn't really true anyway. Most have standard body work, then a few dozen extras bolted on. Unless you are doing a Loveland with a quint single axle and 750 tank, Fallon with 2000 tank and half mile of 5 inch, Charlotte with 2500 tank, you're really just paying extra for a new build demo.

We bought two 75'ers last Christmas with 2000 gpm, 500 tanks, foam, hallide floods, squirrel tails, Cyclone 2 cabs, 450 hp, allow wheels, dual rotorays, ton of attack lines, 2200 foot 5" beds for $408,000 each

Leave a comment:

• STATION2
    replied
    If your set on buying a quint, there are many things to look at.

#1) Determine the function and mission of the proposed rig. Is it a pumper with an elevated master stream or a ladder truck with its own capability to generate a water supply. This is key to determining what type of rig you spec. If it is running as your Truck Co. you have need for more of that type of equipment and for different apparatus placement on the fireground which may change current SOP's. If it is running as an Engine Co. you need to make sure you can carry all the hose, fittings, adapters, etc. for a 1st in pumper crew and also have a tank that is of usable size. If you are gonna carry CAFS this another space occupying system that needs to be thought of up front, not after the fact. This is where the decision on what tools to carry and what tools not to carry is made. The only way to determine this is to decide how its gonna operate on the fire ground. Another consideration is colateral assignments. Is this rig gonna carry your rescue tools for vehicle extrications, swift water equipment, killer bee attack equipment, hazardous materials gear, etc? This can vastly effect your compartment space requirements.

#2) DO NOT automatically decide you need a 75' or 100' length aerial or that you have to have a platform, snorkel or straight stick based upon what you want. Do a needs assessment of your 1st due area. Look at the buildings closely. Not just the height of them, but the set back from the road. When we speced our ladder tower in my volunteer department, we quickly learned that we needed a 95' or greater aerial because of the set backs we had, not the building height.

#3) After you determine length, look at the type of aerial you need. There are 3 criteria we used for this part: A) Fire flow requirements. Do you have alot of 200,000+ square foot warehouses, garden apartment buildings, etc. like we do that need the most water you can develop by way of 2 monitors in a platform, or would 1500GPM from a single monitor on a straight stick do the trick. B) Do you have many multiple occupancies, old folks homes, hotles/motels, etc. where evacuation is a primary consideration? C) What are the most common roof structure types you have and do you do true roof ventialtion work. If your department does open roofs, are you faced with mostly pitched roofs or mostly flat roofs. It is safer, easier and more efficient to vent from the bucket that the tip of a straight stick.

#4) Now you can narrow and more closely define the specific type of aerial you need. By this point you should know if you are leaning towards a straight stick or ladder tower. This is where you need to look at your station, your road height clearnaces, etc. Decide if a rear mount ladder tower fit in your station or if a mid mount version is the only one that will fit. Confirm that the rear mount straight stick does fit down your streets and that you do not need a mid mount. Drive your territory with the demo rigs and make sure these rigs fit down EVERY street in your 1st due, not just the main drags. It would be a total slap in the face of your members by denying them a valuable tool to use as well as the citizens which the rig was bought to serve and protet. Additionally the black eye the department would take would be very embarrasing. I know your guys can hump the ladders in and bring the tools with them, but the cord reels, the aerial and the generator are gonna sit on the rig at the end of the block.

These are just some considerations we kept in mind when specing our Ladder Tower and our Tele-Squrt. There were about 20 other issues we considered also, if your interested in what they were let me know.

Stay low and move it in.
    Last edited by STATION2; 08-18-2003, 08:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fireresq30637
    replied
    CTS2686, what kind of problems are you having or had and why did your department decide to replace it with an Engine instead of another Quint or a Ladder?

Wandering some of the differnces, pros, cons, etc. to a tandem vs. a single axle? How close to GVW with a single axle? We are wanting to run this basically as an engine with a stick so we don't use an Engine. We have two other Engine's and are replacing the third with this truck, but are trying not to loose the "third Engine" and gain a "Ladder" at the same time. Any Feedback?

For those of you that have Quint's, Ladder's, Tower's, etc. single and tandem axles, may we contact you via e-mail, phone etc. for questions/comments? Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• CTS2686
    replied
    http://www.christianafc.org/apparatu...ID=3&AppID=3-7

Here is a 1997 Pierce 75' Rear Mount quint with 500 gallons of water

We have had some small problem with it.

It is do to be replaced by an Engine in 2015

Look at the pics...its not to fun to rack hose on this truck.

Leave a comment:

• Resq14
    replied
    Originally posted by Fire304
    Is the Telma one of the electric "Jake" brakes? We considered one, but have heard they don't mix well with road salt, went with a traditional Jake instead.
    Telma's site is under construction.
    http://www.industrialautomatic.com/html/telma1.htm

The big problem I see with these are the load they place on the electrical system. I believe they are 4 stages, and that each stage requires 50 amps. So if all 4 are engaged, you're suddenly drawing 200 amps. Hmm... now how big is our alternator? And what else do we have running? Q2B, electronic siren, red blinkies, A/C, etc...

I'd rather keep the strain on the 12V system low...well, low enough so that having a REAL siren [read Q2B] isn't a problem.

Rhino lining was on my A-list for E1, and more recently, R1. Heh, didn't fly. $$$. At the local Rhino installer, they have info on using Rhino liner to rehab old engines, and even to seal tanks and tank baffles. I think it's a great idea though that probably pays for itself over the life of the vehicle.
    Last edited by Resq14; 08-14-2003, 01:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fire304
    replied
    Hey BlackJack, I like the Rhino lining, will bring that up at the next new truck committee meeting.

Where are you? Is the Telma one of the electric "Jake" brakes? We considered one, but have heard they don't mix well with road salt, went with a traditional Jake instead.

I'd love to hear from you again, what you think about the truck once you get it (lets see, you said it would be delivered in 4 weeks, that's manufacturer time, in fire fighter time you should have it by December 23rd ). and again in 6 months. We were very happy with the specs of our new tower and rescue pumper, and for the most part with the trucks themsleves, but there are things which might be done differently next time.

Which brings me to a great point, I read this in one of the fire magazines and think it is a great idea: The time to spec out your next truck is right after you get the newest one. As you walk around the truck you'll find yourself saying "Damn, we should have said to do this..." over and over. Spend a couple of days doing this with the whole crew, come up with a new set of specs, then put it with a copy of the real specs in a file box labeled "IN CASE OF NEW FIRE TRUCK, BREAK OPEN AND READ" so that in 5, 10, or even 20 years from now, the new spec committee won't make the same mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• BlackJackCo
    replied
    Our new Engine will be here in about 4 weeks. I really like how we spec'd ours out. A couple of things we did that might help:

If possible get the Engineers together to design the specs. We were given complete freedom to design the truck with only a few requirements: Stay under $500,000, must have an elevated master stream, and a 1750 GPM pump, and under 11'3" total height. Well because us engineers designed it and got exactly what we asked for, I am almost positive it will be what we need and it will be better taken care of. Since the drivers put a lot of time in the spec process and consider this their baby.

Some things we put in was "Rino-Lining" of all compartments and wheel wells to prevent rust from all our winter road salt; the Telma driveline braking system, "Tac-4" front end suspension, Cab designed specifically to run as a Rescue (ALS) engine - not a transport engine. All seats are air-ride, and the seat-mounted airpacks are set back deeper so as to prevent the constant stabbing of a regulator in your back.

Well now I'm just rambling. If you couldn't tell from the "Tac-4" we went with a Pierce Lance with a 60' stick and the "T" 500 gallon water tank, which allowed us to lower the hose beds significantly. The truck is plumbed for Class A or Class B foam to every discharge. We are excited to get it here.

A couple of other trucks we looked and and liked if you are considering the 75' quint and need the single axle. About the only one we have seen that weight is not an issue is Sutphen. They aren't much to look at, but we got great feedback from departments who have the newer models. We have the Pierce 75' Quint on the Quantum chasis. It would sure be nice to have more hose, more water, about the same compartmentation on a chasis with a wheel base about the same as our engines.

Well good luck. If you would like more information on the features we put in our rig, send me a line.

Leave a comment:

• Fire304
    replied
    I think the spec process to buy a single axle quint is much more difficult than a double, as you'll need to make lots of cuts to keep the truck under GVWR. When the truck arrives you will not be able to put very much extra onto it w/o going over weight.

I would highly recomend you look at a twin screw truck before writing them off. We have a 2001 E-One Tower with a 95' stick and an overall length of 43 feet that will out turn our 1985 pumper. If you go with a Pierce All-Steer you get even better turning radius. I've seen a number of single axle quints that if the state police ever weighed it the FD would be in trouble. Calculate the weight of everything you are going to carry before you commit.

Storage space is another tight issue (pun intended). In the above mentioned tower the pump and tank take up a huge amount of space that would be otherwise available for gear.

If all you are looking for is an elevated master stream, there are several devices on the market which are much cheaper than a full stick and much lighter too. If you run the truck as an engine you'll almost never park the truck such that you can use the ladder (too close, blocked by trees or wires, too far) so why even carry it (unless you are also going after an ISO rating improvment).

If all you are looking for is an elevated master stream, there are several devices on the market which are much cheaper than a full stick and much lighter too. If you run the truck as an engine you'll almost never park the truck such that you can use the ladder (too close, blocked by trees or wires, too far) so why even carry it (unless you are also going after an ISO rating improvment).

Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• ranger1141
    replied
    not a problem FyredUp.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Ranger1141...

Sorry if my post sounded like I was coming at you. I reread and it does seem that way. All I meant to say was this, every FD needs to look at their particular needs and what works for some may not work for others.

Again sorry for coming at you.

FyredUp
    Last edited by FyredUp; 08-11-2003, 01:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ranger1141
    replied
    FyredUp

I never said that this truck was a one size fits all. If that was the impression you got from what I was saying, I'm sorry but you're mistaken. The question was asked why we went with a Quint and that was the question I was answering. I was trying to give fireresq30637 some ideas of what worked for us. Obviously what works for us and our needs does not match everyone elses. But if someone can take parts of what works for us, and use them, then great. If it doesn't meet their needs then by all means, they should not copy our truck. The type of ladder that you use in the city would not come close to meeting our needs. So we didn't go with that kind of set up. We got what worked for us.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    ranger1141...

Bring your quint into the environment of the city with cars parked both sides of the street and barely more than a single lane and see how well you fare with it. Let alone trying to turn on those same streets. Sometimes the amount of equipment you carry on a particular rig gets sacrificed to allow the rig to be of a size to allow it to manuever in its response area.

Again if what you have works well for you guys terrific, but like every other piece of fire apparatrus one size does not fit all.

FyredUp

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X