Custom VS Commercial - PLEASE READ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kfactor,

First off, don't get angry with me or try and call me out. I was passing on information that was learned when we did the exact same search a few years ago ref custom vs. commercial.
    Secondly, you like the Macks and what not, great. I'm happy for you. Buy them all day long. Or the Freightliners, Peterbuilts, Kenworths, etc. It doesn't matter to me, so whatever makes you happy. Now take your DM Model Mack and put a body, pump, hosebed, etc. on it to make it a true pumper. Now put it in the same station as a Pierce, Seagrave, E-One, Sutphen, etc. that you seem to think are so inferior. Now run them the same. 18-20 runs a day, everyday. See which one fits the bill better in the neighborhoods, run after run, day and night, one week after the nexy. See which one lasts longer.
    Bottom line, you think departments that have companies that make that many runs a day are going to buy an inferior apparatus chassis if there is something better and cheaper available? If the commercial chassis apparatus of today was so superior to a specificly built custom chassis apparatus than why do large and/or busy departments that beat the crap out of their Engine Co., Ladder Co. and Rescue Co. rigs not buy commercial? If you are so correct than why doesn't Engine Co. 54 in Manhatten or Engine Co. 290 in Brooklyn run a Mack, Freightliner or Sterling? How about DCFD Engine Co. 10? They have a Seagrave, why when a Mack would be so much better as you say? Or LAFD Task Force 33. I bet those West Coast guys don't know what there doing running Pierce and Seagrave when they could have a Mack right? Houston Engine Co. 51 running an E-One when the Mack would make it look sick right? What about St. Louis Engine Co. 08? Hell they could have mounted that 75' Smeal aerial on the back of a Mack chassis and it worked better right? Gary, Indiana has no idea what they are doing running those Ferraras to as many fires as they do. Isn't that correct when a Mack is so much better and could do the job better? Chicago Engine Co. 83 doesn't know what they are missing running that Spartan/Luverne when they could have the super Mack DM. Detroit and their Pierces, they must be foolish right? Or Boston with a fleet full of E-Ones and now Pierces, those guys are clueless also right? And then there is Los Angeles County with KME on the brain, what are they thinking? How about Dallas and their Spartan/Quality fleet they run? A red and white Mack DM in the metroplex would be better right?
    And lastly, the low end customs are not the same as their high end custom cousins. We know that. The point of this thread was that the Scooby14B is in a department that was thinking of custom chassis. My post was based on the average, middle to high end custom chassis that his department has bought in the past. Not a low end. You assumed that I was talking low end. I was NOT. Other than that, have a good day.

Stay low and move it in.
    Last edited by STATION2; 07-04-2003, 08:37 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Comment

DM technology

Well Larry,While I know you're on a fact disputing mission let me throw in a couple tidbits.In the first place you would be hard pressed to get a true DM today.They stopped building the TRUE DM when they went to the new CH model.That being said,aside from being a butt ugly vehicle,if spec'ed properly they WILL outlast any vehicle you have mentioned in any kind of service.Will they turn as tight?Usually not.Will they get up to speed as quick?USUALLY not.Are they rock crusher tough,damn near idiot proof,and easy to maintain?Yup!I worked for a number of years in heavy vehicle repair with some drivers that could bust an anvil.Where did we put the DM's?Where NO other vehicle could do the job.Will they take Fire service abuse day in and day out for decades?Sure as hell will and pull the bone of your customs to the junkyard.But they are NOT particularly user friendly,the cabs are practically impossible to modify for the making of a stylish Fire truck;plus with the exception of perhaps tankers, they were never designed for this purpose.But tough?Yes sir!These were fine machines that took severe punishment and came back for more.No vehicle we had in the fleet did more work with less major system failures than the DM Mack.Now I could probably debate the Chevy vs Ford with you for weeks.Fortunately for both of us there are many fine vehicles and body builders in the business for us to make informed choices.But never try to downplay the seviceability of a Mack,particularly to those of us who have worked on and loved these fine machines.For most of us the "True" Macks are gone but they were a powerful chapter in the American Fire service.T.C.

Comment

Rescue 101, I understand your point fine. As for the Mack name in the fire service, I agree. You would be hard pressed to find another maker with as solid a reputation as the original "C" and "CF" models and the "R" model also for that matter. The days of Mack pumpers being true "Mack" pumpers ended and so we go on with what is available today. I was referring to the DM that was originally mentioned as being superior to the customs of today. As you even mentioned, the DM wasn't engineered for the fire service and eventhough it could make it, it doesn't mean it was meant for it. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
        Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader