Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom vs Commercial cab...let's talk safety.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom vs Commercial cab...let's talk safety.

In the past week there have been multiple fire apparatus roll overs. Far too many in fact. But anyways let's talk about the safety difference between a custom and commercial cab. Custom cabs are designed to minimize crush in a rollover, commercial cabs do not have that and generally in a roll over crush like a pop can. So the thought occurred to me the other day was doesn't the NFPA require a roll cage type protection for commercial cab fire apparatus? It would still keep the cost of a commercial cab lower than a custom cab but offer at least minimal protection in the event of a roll over accident.

Lets be clear, I am no fan of commercial cab fire apparatus. Amongst other things they waste 3 to 4 feet of space in the cab for the engine sitting out front. They do not have near the turning radius of a custom cab chassis. And lets be frank, cab space and arrangement sucks unless you put a Pope Mobile type crew compartment on it. There are more reasons but that should suffice to make my opinion known.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

I would think they could integrate ROPS into the pumphouse.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X