Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Engine options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine options

Are we now down to 'Do you want Cummins or Cummins ?'

I believe Pierce offers a Ford option in one of their entry level custom lines, but other than that it seems like everyone offers the same combination of Cummins with Allison 3000/4000 transmissions.

Is there any manufacturer of custom fire apparatus left that offers Detroit engines ?

Pierce Manufacturing offers the Detroit DD13 in their Enforcer, Velocity, ArrowXT and Quantum chassis.
    GRC063

Comment

What's wrong with Cummins? We have an ISL370 in our latest engine and it is very reliable and has great power.
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by grc063 View Post
        Pierce Manufacturing offers the Detroit DD13 in their Enforcer, Velocity, ArrowXT and Quantum chassis.
        Good to know. Funny, we are Pierce shop and that's the one mfgr I forgot to check.

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
        What's wrong with Cummins? We have an ISL370 in our latest engine and it is very reliable and has great power.
        We are a mixed shop, older Detroits and all the more recent equipment with Cummins. May just be a sampling error and a result of old vs. new, but while the D60s just keep ticking, there is always something expensive broke on the Cummins. ECUs that forget their programming, holed piston, grenaded turbo, misc. accessories that just fall off. I know, they are supposed to be great and commercial customers run them to a million miles, it just has been a run of expensive problems in our low-mileage environment.

Comment

Take a look at the various engine manufacturers websites and google the EPA Diesel Emissions updates that have occurred. I think more than one have just said it was too much to deal with the emissions updates that were needed for the over the road applications. Everything is more complicated than the diesels of days gone by. For the most part I think Cummins has been the one willing to make the effort to say in the over the road market.

Even look at the commercial trucks like Navistar, Peterbuilt, etc. What options to they have? They sell a lot more than fire apparatus chassis manufacturer will in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefDog View Post
            Take a look at the various engine manufacturers websites and google the EPA Diesel Emissions updates that have occurred. I think more than one have just said it was too much to deal with the emissions updates that were needed for the over the road applications. Everything is more complicated than the diesels of days gone by. For the most part I think Cummins has been the one willing to make the effort to say in the over the road market.
            The stuff that has been falling off the current engines isn't even emissions related. Coolant elbows that disintegrate, electronic doodads and hardcore mechanical stuff. If this was just the EPA equipment acting up, I would be the first one to blame them, but its more widespread than that.

Even look at the commercial trucks like Navistar, Peterbuilt, etc. What options to they have? They sell a lot more than fire apparatus chassis manufacturer will in a year.
            Well,

- Peterbuilt uses Paccar
            - International uses their own home-brew engines plus Cummins and Navistar.
            - Kenworth uses Paccar.
            - Volvo uses their own engine.
            - Mack uses their own engine and Cummins.
            - Western Star uses Detroit and Cummins.
            - Freightliner uses Detroit and Cummins.
            - Nobody uses Cat ;-)

It seems that for over the road and vocational applications, there are about 5 different options: Cummins/Paccar, Navistar, Volvo, Mack and Detroit. All of them have managed to somehow keep the EPA overloards happy enough to let them sell engines. For fire apparatus, with the exception of Pierce, it seems to be mostly Cummins. I really wonder why that is.
            Last edited by Too_Old; 11-01-2018, 11:01 PM.

Comment

In the year or so between two pumper purchases by our fire district, "emissions" requirements increased the cost of the truck by some $3,500. As we were constrained on the budget, that took out $3,500 worth of fire truck.
              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Old View Post
                - Nobody uses Cat ;-)
                Caterpillar is building OTR trucks now too. What engines do they put in those trucks? Or was the OTR trucks just a few years worth of experiment and they aren't making them any more?

Comment

Originally posted by dfelix22000us View Post
                  Caterpillar is building OTR trucks now too. What engines do they put in those trucks? Or was the OTR trucks just a few years worth of experiment and they aren't making them any more?
                  They tried to get into the dump truck business leveraging their worldwide sales and service organization for machinery and off-road trucks. They pulled back from that business after a couple of years. I believe someone else built the entire rig for them and it was mostly a marketing deal, like the work-boots.

Just looked it up. Yes Navistar built the entire thing, down to the engine. I don't think CAT offers their own engines for any on-road applications.

​​
                  Last edited by Too_Old; 11-05-2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Old View Post

They tried to get into the dump truck business leveraging their worldwide sales and service organization for machinery and off-road trucks. They pulled back from that business after a couple of years. I believe someone else built the entire rig for them and it was mostly a marketing deal, like the work-boots.

Just looked it up. Yes Navistar built the entire thing, down to the engine. I don't think CAT offers their own engines for any on-road applications.

​​
                    Cat ran into a LOT of problems when all the EPA emissions stuff came into effect, so they pulled out of the OTR truck engine sector, and now just do engines for equipment and gensets, maybe some marine applications too.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90