Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

New Pierce 100' Mid Mount Platform

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pierce 100' Mid Mount Platform

Pierce Mfg showed off there new 100' MM platform at FDIC 2018, and this new apparatus is going to sell more than any of there older 95 footers. The five section ladder comes in at only 41'-3" O.A.L. will go 20%below grade, will flow 2,000 GPM, 4 man bucket, and can turn on a dime !

Saw this online and watched their video. So my question is: Does the base section retract and extend? It looks like it's nearly against the cab when bedded, but when extended it seems to be forward in the typical pivot position? Also, it looks like the turntable doesn't allow you to walk around the base? It looks like there is a very small area for the turntable operators position? How would one effect continuous rescue when at 90 degrees to the body?Can you egress the ladder and climb down off the body without re-positioning the aerial? Seems the video brought more questions than answers. OAL is great though and 20 degrees below grade with 20 f side reach minimum is pretty slick.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodbridge View Post
      Pierce Mfg showed off there new 100' MM platform at FDIC 2018, and this new apparatus is going to sell more than any of there older 95 footers. The five section ladder comes in at only 41'-3" O.A.L. will go 20%below grade, will flow 2,000 GPM, 4 man bucket, and can turn on a dime !
      Put the kool aid down and step away
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-05-01 at 10.34.00 PM.png
Views:	320
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	2089982
        Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
        Saw this online and watched their video. So my question is: Does the base section retract and extend? It looks like it's nearly against the cab when bedded, but when extended it seems to be forward in the typical pivot position? Also, it looks like the turntable doesn't allow you to walk around the base? It looks like there is a very small area for the turntable operators position? How would one effect continuous rescue when at 90 degrees to the body?Can you egress the ladder and climb down off the body without re-positioning the aerial? Seems the video brought more questions than answers. OAL is great though and 20 degrees below grade with 20 f side reach minimum is pretty slick.
        The engineering must allow some swing of the turntable base to allow as a counterweight or something. This is similar (but not at drastic) as the Metz turntable base that Pierce always pointed out as a weakness due to access, though the Metz has a platform to allow access to the ladder from the turntable.

I'm not the biggest Pierce fan, but think they're capable of building decent rigs. I think their biggest variable is their dealers - some sell super custom rigs at reasonable prices, others won't customize much of anything and be high bid every time. However - I'm trying to figure out what to dislike on this rig. No PUC on this one, so that's great. Reasonable compartment space and a fairly lightly loaded set of rear axle, reasonable tip load while flowing, etc. My early impressions impress me.

The pivot point of the bed section of the aerial is clearly further along the ladder than on other models. But like you said, access to the aerial could be a challenge at certain positions.
        Last edited by npfd801; 05-01-2018, 11:37 PM.
        "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

You mean the aerial that from what I understand, they didn't let anyone operate, although all the other manufacturers did let people operate theirs?

Comment

Originally posted by old fart FF View Post
            You mean the aerial that from what I understand, they didn't let anyone operate, although all the other manufacturers did let people operate theirs?
            I can't believe I'm defending them, but they only had the one unit there, and it was inside the stadium. Most of the builders there didn't have units outside for people to operate.
            "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

The Ascendant? Well, very restricted as to how and where you use it. Many friends that have seen the demo complain about the outriggers coming off the ground. When you take weight out of the aerial to fit on the single axle, makes you wonder about it's performance capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post

Put the kool aid down and step away
                There's not any koolaide here, Pierce builds good trucks, that's just a fact. There are others that make good trucks too, but a lot of us also like the service we get after the sale.

Comment

Finally got a chance to check out one of the new Ascendant MM demonstrators. I have to say I'm impressed with the features the big "P" put into this. Clearly some input from firefighters who use MM Towers. Some of the things I liked:
                  1. Single set of outriggers. Only having to worry about one outrigger per side makes set up in tight streets a hell of lot easier.
                  2. The one set of outriggers is angled downward from the body so minimizing the influence on the scrub area low and off the side.
                  3. Much improved bucket design compared to past Pierce designs, just catching up with other though. 8" walking edge side-to-front-to side. Dual doors at the corners make for much easier access and egress when not perfectly square to the objective.
                  4. The base section is immobile, but the first fly and all others retract "through" the base to shorten the bedded length. 41' 6" travel length pretty nice for a MM. Nearly eliminates all tailslap.
                  5. They really concentrated on maximizing scrub area by reducing body obstructions. Sloped compartment tops close the turntable improve this but...
                  6. Permanently mounted jack plates.
                  7. Up-sized hydraulics for faster operation. Having gone from a straight stick to a tower, I can tell you our tower is much slower to get in the air. This unit with only the one pair of outriggers and quicker hydraulics seemed pretty fast.
                  8. Waterway on the side instead of the first contact position with roofs and parapets.

The "flaw" I see is that this is a tower and really nearly eliminates the ladder as there appears to be only one position by which to ascend: when the aerial is out over the cab. Other than that the minimal turntable area and sloped compartment tops seem to make climbing the aerial fairly treacherous other than the over the cab position. Not that ascending and descending on the ladder is the preferred method, but it seems to be necessary for us pretty often. Even with a dedicated operator, there are times when removing the bucket from the objective is not the best option.

The demo guys were letting guys operate the truck, drive it, set it. This was the straight truck demo, not pump or tank. Didn't dare ask the starting pricing, not that we're in the market anyway.

So that's my honest short take on this truck. Not been a big fan of Pierce as the whole cult following thing is lost on me, but this truck has some merit in the way of design features.

Comment

When the truck was in New Jersey, the aerial sales manager said that the rig that was on display as a demo went for 1.2 million dollars, which is common by all manufactors.

Comment

Couple thoughts on this discussion.

$1.2 million for a platform in this day and age is about average.

I've operated Sutphen SP95's and a SPH100 since about 1998 and the single set of outriggers is nice because the other set is within the footprint of the apparatus.

On the SPH100 the committee wanted to go with climbing rails "just in case". Seen them used once in 5 years and there were other options.

Had a chance to see an Ascendant rear mount demo. It 're-positioned' while guys were on the ladder. Don't like that. Also not crazy about the single rear outrigger under the turn table. Engineers might sign off of it but I think it is less than ideal. Haven't had a chance to see and operate the Ascendant mid mounts.

Just my thoughts,
                      Walt

Train like you want to fight.
                      www.kvfd.net

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader