Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Quad Concept

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad Concept

Looking for some input. Our department is in the early stages of a truck committee to replace our primary attack engine. We do not have a ladder truck but are exploring the quad concept to maximize the ground ladders we carry. Ideally we would like to have a full ISO compliment of ground ladders, in the neighborhood of 150-160 feet. This may not be possible but we are exploring the options.

We would like to minimize or eliminate thru the tank storage or tunnels since our last two trucks have them and we don't care for them. Although both of these are flat stored ladders and not beam resting which I am told is better. Ideally we would have two hydraulic ladder racks, one for each side of the truck. Does anyone have a 3 section 35' ladder ladder with a 24' or 28' 2 section and roof ladder that fits together on one rack?

Basically looking for anyone with ideas for ladder storage that won't take away from water or storage space.
    Firefighter/CCEMT-P
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

We have an engine that nearly fits the quad designation I would suppose. It was built after we put an aerial out of service and didn't think it would be replaced. Has a 24 and 14 through the tank, and a 35 and 16 on a hydraulic rack. Add in the other ladders and it has something like 99 feet of ground ladders. Not answering your question, but we ended up with a new aerial (75' quint), which doesn't have as many ground ladders as I would like, so I'm glad it has some extra ground ladders on it. We also have another engine that carries a 35, 24 and 14, so we're fortunate to have a bunch of ground ladders if needed.

There are some companies that build a solid enough ladder rack that can handle the kind of weight you're talking. I'm almost certain Toyne's design can, I would suspect the single arm Rosenbauer design might be able to. Many I know cannot. I sold Toyne at one point in a prior life, and I'm sure I had seen a 24, 14, hard suctions and drop tank on a ladder rack of a rig they delivered

If you can tolerate not having full depth, full height compartments, ladders can be on beam next to the tank and still leave 12 inch deep upper compartments. A little longer body could probably get you 28' on beam in the body. A 35' two fly would be neat on a ladder rack.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Thanks for the input. Ideally I would like to fit them all on racks but we will have to see. This is a next step for us. Our last rescue pumper we got with a 35, 28 and 14 foot ladder. We have an increase in larger apartment building 2 and 3 stories, just looking ahead to the future some with capability and ISO credits.
      Firefighter/CCEMT-P

Comment

911WACKER,

Just something to consider. Depending upon how you operate and what you want, would it work to have one or two ladders stored on the beam on the right side of apparatus beside the tank and behind the ladder rack? Then you could put additional ladders on the ladder rack.

I'm not a fan personally of the two arm ladder rack when compared to the single arm ladder rack. Reason being that you lose about the same amount of compartment space but have to duck in order to access an upper compartment when the ladder rack is down.

Another thought, all depending upon height restrictions and ladder rack capacity. Would it work to have a ladder rack where the ladders rest on the beam when the rack is upright and when lowered are stacked horizontally? Never seen it but I've often thought it would be practical because you could take off the ladder you want without having to remove any others.

Walt
        Train like you want to fight.
        www.kvfd.net

Comment

Originally posted by FFWALT View Post
          911WACKER,

Just something to consider. Depending upon how you operate and what you want, would it work to have one or two ladders stored on the beam on the right side of apparatus beside the tank and behind the ladder rack? Then you could put additional ladders on the ladder rack.

I'm not a fan personally of the two arm ladder rack when compared to the single arm ladder rack. Reason being that you lose about the same amount of compartment space but have to duck in order to access an upper compartment when the ladder rack is down.

Another thought, all depending upon height restrictions and ladder rack capacity. Would it work to have a ladder rack where the ladders rest on the beam when the rack is upright and when lowered are stacked horizontally? Never seen it but I've often thought it would be practical because you could take off the ladder you want without having to remove any others.

Walt
          We are considering all the options. As it stands now, we may have to tunnel store a set, which has the advantage of quicker deployment as apposed to the racks, it would be specified with beam resting storage and shoulder height which our current trucks are not. We were hoping to gain a full height rescue body with full depth all the way around but may have to sacrifice one side of the tank with shallower compartments.

We are looking at the following ground ladder compliment:
          2 - 28' Extensions
          1 - 35' Extension (3 section)
          3 - 16' Roof ladders
          1 - 14' Fresno Ladder
          1 - 14' Combination ladder

Our area has many, very large Victorian era homes which are 2 1/2 - 3 stories. Many have been converted into multiple apartments, etc. Our standard ladder package is 28' and 16' because of this on all our apparatus. Our rescue pumper which is second due carries a 35' - 3 section in addition to the standard package. We do have 3 ladder companies in nearby communities within 5 miles of us but none carry a full ISO ground compliment. We just want to be sure we have what may be needed to cover the buildings we have.
          Firefighter/CCEMT-P

Comment

I would dump at least one of the 16 foot roofs and go with a 20 footer instead. Also I have a strong hatred for 3 section 35 foot ladders, but that is just me. I much prefer a 2 section 35.
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
              I would dump at least one of the 16 foot roofs and go with a 20 footer instead. Also I have a strong hatred for 3 section 35 foot ladders, but that is just me. I much prefer a 2 section 35.
              That has been considered. Our goal is to have the overall length of the truck be no more than 33' from bumper to bumper. In doing so we will be restricted on ladder length. I would be tickled ****less if we could do a 2 section 35' and a 20'.
              Last edited by 911WACKER; 03-29-2018, 10:06 PM.
              Firefighter/CCEMT-P

Comment

Gotcha. Believe me I understand.
                Crazy, but that's how it goes
                Millions of people living as foes
                Maybe it's not too late
                To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola