Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between an Engine and a Wagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rm1524 View Post
    Had the regulator freeze up one night and I thought I was going to cry, but a few mintues with a hair dryer on the regulator and I did have a GRILLED steak for dinner.
    Thats why I shut mine off at the tank before the burner and let it burn off every time. Never had a problem yet.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
      Very neat video.
      "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
        Thats why I shut mine off at the tank before the burner and let it burn off every time. Never had a problem yet.
        It happened while I was cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by Chenzo View Post
          Very neat video.
          Yes, that is one of them.

There are a few others which I just found.

You-tube "old lafd training videos" and you'll find stuff on pump operations, driving and tillering a tiller, company response and some other stuff from the late 40's.

Obviously it's dated but it really very interesting.
          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Reliance View Post
            I always thought that a wagon was small & red with little whhels that you pulled around as a kid with your new tricycle.
            Like this?

C6
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Command6 View Post
              Like this?

C6
              A little bit smaller but similiar

Comment

To answer the original question:

As several posters have pointed out, it stems from the days of two-piece engine companies, in which the hose wagon laid out and proceeded to the fire, and the pumper pumped the line(s) from the hydrant.

Since two-piece companies are now a thing of the past (even in DC), a lot of departments will still refer to their engine as a "wagon", because - in any first-due scenario - it is laying out from the hydrant to the fire, just as the hose wagons used to do. If you were to refer to the "pumper" in a fire scenario, it would be the second (or fourth) arriving engine, which is pumping the hydrant (hence acting as a the "pumper" in days of old). Nobody wants to think of themselves as second-due all the time, so naturally you are going to refer to your single-piece engine company as a "wagon" and not a "pumper".

Some volunteer houses that run two or more engines will refer to the piece that's currently running first-out as the wagon, and the second out as the pumper.

"Engine" may be used interchangeably with "pumper", but more often nowadays "Engine" will refer, broadly, to the company/piece of apparatus, rather than its specific role.

Comment

Originally posted by One13Truck View Post
                  I am glad that I wasn't the only one confused by this though. This part of Pa doesn't have any "Wagons" at least in an official name. Seeing them all over Md & Va I've been wondering what the difference between an "Engine" and "Wagon" to the point I've checked out the specs to see if it was certain equipment carried/not carried or if it were Wagons had had to have a certain amount of LDH or whatever & I couldn't figure it out.
                  When you figure out the technical difference between a "Ladder" and a "Truck", you will have figured out the difference between an "Engine" and a "Wagon".

Comment

Originally posted by BlitzfireSolo View Post
                    When you figure out the technical difference between a "Ladder" and a "Truck", you will have figured out the difference between an "Engine" and a "Wagon".
                    Well said. I still would rather call it a pumper though

Comment

Speaking ONLY for MY early years here there was a difference. The Engine carried SOME hose,booster tank and the nozzless,Deck gun and the 2 Scotts.The WAGON carried hose,1800' of it, 250 tank,almost NO appliances,and two ground ladders. As the others have alluded it was a HOSE wagon,designed to connect a hydrant to the attack engine or connect Two Engines. GENERALLY didn't do anything else so it wasn't considered an Engine. T.C.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X