Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between an Engine and a Wagon?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Difference between an Engine and a Wagon?

    Hello
    I have always wondered what the difference between an Engine and a Wagon is? I know a lot of Fire Departments up North, have these and down here in Tennesse we just have Engines. Can somebody give me some reasons for the difference between these?

    Thanks

  • #2
    The spelling? That's it. It is just slang. Old school term for an engine is "hose wagon", thereby shorted to "wagon".

    Not to be confused with other terminology issues that do actually have different meanings in different parts of the country. For example:

    Out west, a "tanker" is a large aircraft that dumps water or retardent on wildfires. A "tender" is a big fat truck that hold a lot of water. Where out east, we don't have airplanes at all and our big fat water trucks are called tankers.

    As far as anyone on the eastern seaboard knows, a tender is a piece of chicken, fried or baked, served with your choice of dipping sauces.
    Last edited by nmfire; 04-15-2011, 04:40 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

    Comment


    • #3
      Some of the mid Atlantic guys need to verify this, but I was alwys told it was a throw back to the days of two piece engines companies. A hose wagon used to run with the steamer. Some departments still call the 2nd out engine a wagon.
      ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nmfire View Post
        A "tender" is a big fat truck that hold a lot of water.
        A "Tender" usually contains Chicken and goes well with BBQ sauce.
        So you call this your free country
        Tell me why it costs so much to live
        -3dd

        Comment


        • #5
          Actually in the original meanings of engine and wagon they had distinctly different uses.

          Originally, the wagon carried the hose and apliances and the engine had nothing but the pump and perhaps hard suction or a soft sleeve. The engine went to the water source and the wagon laid out from the fire to the engine.

          More recently Washington DC used to run engines and wagons. They ran very similar to that concept with the company having 2 pieces of apparatus, usually identical engines. The wagon was staffed with a full crew and the engine most often with just a driver. The wagon did the actual firefighting and the engine supplied them.
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
            Actually in the original meanings of engine and wagon they had distinctly different uses.

            Originally, the wagon carried the hose and apliances and the engine had nothing but the pump and perhaps hard suction or a soft sleeve. The engine went to the water source and the wagon laid out from the fire to the engine.

            More recently Washington DC used to run engines and wagons. They ran very similar to that concept with the company having 2 pieces of apparatus, usually identical engines. The wagon was staffed with a full crew and the engine most often with just a driver. The wagon did the actual firefighting and the engine supplied them.
            There's a very interesting video from the 50's by the LAFD that illistrates this operation perfectly. In addition, there are probably another 10-15 videos done at the same time by The LAFD that illiostrate many other firefighting operations from that era.

            I beleive it's called something like "Your Fire Department".

            It's actually a pretty cool series of videos if you enjoy watching firefighting operations from the past.
            Train to fight the fires you fight.

            Comment


            • #7
              http://www.archive.org/details/YourFire1949

              this it?
              Originally Posted by madden01
              "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
                Great link. Kinda wondered how they did it in the day, minus 60 years. Very different from today, but some of it still applies today.

                Thanks.

                FM1
                I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

                Originally posted by EastKyFF
                "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

                Comment


                • #9
                  THESE are tenders.
                  Attached Files
                  "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I always thought that a wagon was small & red with little whhels that you pulled around as a kid with your new tricycle.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                      THESE are tenders.
                      Another kind of Tender. T.C.
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re:

                        OK now I'm super annoyed. This is officially the worst thread ever!!!! It's pouring & after reading it all I want to do is grill some of those tenders!!!! Well the rain is only coming down at a slight angle right now & not sideways so maybe I can sneak out...

                        I am glad that I wasn't the only one confused by this though. This part of Pa doesn't have any "Wagons" at least in an official name. Seeing them all over Md & Va I've been wondering what the difference between an "Engine" and "Wagon" to the point I've checked out the specs to see if it was certain equipment carried/not carried or if it were Wagons had had to have a certain amount of LDH or whatever & I couldn't figure it out. Don't think I'll be standing outside in 40 degree rain to grill though. LOL
                        Edwardsville Emergency Services, Station 10. Home to the 11 Engine, 15 Rescue (Triple Nickel), 113 Truck (Albatross), 14 Ambulance, 15 Ambulance.
                        We came, we saw, WE KICKED IT'S A $$!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by One13Truck View Post
                          OK now I'm super annoyed. This is officially the worst thread ever!!!! It's pouring & after reading it all I want to do is grill some of those tenders!!!! Well the rain is only coming down at a slight angle right now & not sideways so maybe I can sneak out...

                          I am glad that I wasn't the only one confused by this though. This part of Pa doesn't have any "Wagons" at least in an official name. Seeing them all over Md & Va I've been wondering what the difference between an "Engine" and "Wagon" to the point I've checked out the specs to see if it was certain equipment carried/not carried or if it were Wagons had had to have a certain amount of LDH or whatever & I couldn't figure it out. Don't think I'll be standing outside in 40 degree rain to grill though. LOL
                          It is never to cold or wet to grill.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rm1524 View Post
                            It is never to cold or wet to grill.
                            My grill is never closed.
                            Attached Files
                            "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                              My grill is never closed.
                              Had the regulator freeze up one night and I thought I was going to cry, but a few mintues with a hair dryer on the regulator and I did have a GRILLED steak for dinner.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X