Freedom Fire Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donethat View Post
    At least it's nice to know there is another brand of Ice Tea besides Pierce.
    I believe sumphin uses magic mushrooms to brew theirs.
    Cobra certainly has been partaking of the magic juice.

Comment

Looks like a nice truck, but too much motor for us. I doubt we would ever put a decent load on the engine to break it in. We decided against the elliptical, we wanted to get the hose bed on top for supply hose.

Comment

Originally posted by neiowa View Post
        For the smaller mfg I'd call the FD in a 25-150mi radius of the factory. Often personalities in local gov't mean FD can't buy anything but the hometown brand (or factory just plain give the FD an unbeatable price).

Get out of the local area and can get a clearer opinion of the builder. Everyone will know of them. Some will buy from them because the cheapest (I mean cheapest not least expensive). Or because best value/least expensive great service. Some bought once and will never send them a quote package so they don't get stuck with them. Likely have seen the product/factory/know the owners/workers and will always or would never buy.

If builder is ABLE to provide a performance bond likely is sufficient info. Do you want to spend (waste) the $ on actually buying the bond? You sniff around very much you'll find out what dealer or mfg are in trouble. If they on cash terms with major suppliers that tells you ALL you need to know. If the have to pay Akron with ccard to order valves it's not looking so good.
        Please tell me your are kidding about the bond. That is some of the poorest advise I have heard in a long time.

Comment

Performance Bonds

If builder is ABLE to provide a performance bond likely is sufficient info. Do you want to spend (waste) the $ on actually buying the bond? You sniff around very much you'll find out what dealer or mfg are in trouble. If they on cash terms with major suppliers that tells you ALL you need to know. If the have to pay Akron with ccard to order valves it's not looking so good.
          First off a well established larger builder will not require a down payment for any part of the build. The builder who is well established will only ask for payment on delivery and acceptance. The builder may offer a discount for payment of the chassis and in doing so a performance bond would make sense.

Bid Bonds
          A bid bond is provided to the fire department from the manufacturer in order to give assurance that if the manufacturer is the successful bidder the manufacturer can provide a performance bond or a payment amount equal to the bid bond. If the manufacturer is the successful bidder and decides not enter into a contract, or failing to provide a performance bond, then the fire department can make a claim on the bid bond for the difference between the manufacturer bid and the lowest next bid or the amount of the bid bond (5% to 20% of the bid amount) whichever is less. In some cases the department can claim the full amount of the bid bond even if it’s more then the bid spread.

Performance Bonds
          A performance bond which promises that the terms of a contract, will be performed by the manufacturer. The unit will be finished to the contract specifications.

Do not be fooled a performance bond does not mean your incomplete brand (W E N L) Fre Apparatus not finished near Union City, Mich. and then not finished near Tilleda, Wi. will be finished by RR inTully, N.Y. The bonding company is going to find someone who will finish the unit as per the contract for the least amount of money. This may be Bubba and Bobby-Jo Fire apparatus based near Rockwood, Pa.

Just because a because a company pays with a credit card doesn't make them bad, check out their D & B rating.
          Last edited by Fyrtrks; 04-14-2011, 07:50 AM.
          Fyrtrks

Comment

Originally posted by Fyrtrks View Post
            Bid Bonds
            A bid bond is provided to the fire department from the manufacturer in order to give assurance that if the manufacturer is the successful bidder the manufacturer can provide a performance bond or a payment amount equal to the bid bond.
            That is not correct. A bid bond is the assurance that a bidder will honor his bid and sign a contract for what they have presented at the bid opening. Many cities require bid bonds even when no performance bond will be required. Simply put, if the AHJ chooses your bid and you, for some reason, do not want to sign the contract, you forfeit your bond amount. This is the reason cash can be accepted for bid bonds.

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
              I believe sumphin uses magic mushrooms to brew theirs.
              Cobra certainly has been partaking of the magic juice.

I think he is either a Sutphen sales rep (Or dealer) or employee. All through his posts online, you can see Sutphen as the perfect rig, and lots of mysterious claims that never seem to add up. Lots of "hit and run" attacks like this one here.

Now, for the Hamlin fire rig - it looks like a nice rig. And if I was Hamlin fire, I would do everything I could to buy from a dealer/servicer less than 20 miles from my department like they did. Way too many economies there. It just makes sense. Perhaps they had to say "something" to justify it to someone, but what people need to remember that it is not a low bid world, but a low bid that MEETS YOUR REQUIREMENT world.

But the salespuke that comes in putting his competition down - no matter how right he is, or how wrong he is, that is the one that I am going to not think very highly about.

Comment

Originally posted by firepundit View Post
                That is not correct. A bid bond is the assurance that a bidder will honor his bid and sign a contract for what they have presented at the bid opening. Many cities require bid bonds even when no performance bond will be required. Simply put, if the AHJ chooses your bid and you, for some reason, do not want to sign the contract, you forfeit your bond amount. This is the reason cash can be accepted for bid bonds.
                That's what I meant.
                Last edited by Fyrtrks; 04-14-2011, 11:19 AM.
                Fyrtrks

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                  I think he is either a Sutphen sales rep (Or dealer) or employee. All through his posts online, you can see Sutphen as the perfect rig, and lots of mysterious claims that never seem to add up. Lots of "hit and run" attacks like this one here.
                  I am neither of these, but I should start selling trucks. My background is outdoor power equipment design. After looking at each manufacturer out there and what they could offer us, we decided to go with Sutphen. We have dealt with Sutphen for a few years now and made a conscious effort to commonize our fleet with their products. The factories are not far away and the products are great. If we need service, we can drive the truck there and have it serviced at the factory, or we can have their mobile technician/shop come to our place. I am passing along my thoughts of the company and their service since everyone seems to forget about Sutphen. Even if you don't like them, they are worth a shot in quoting trucks.

Comment

Whatever your motive is about passing on good is fine - but what about all your hit and run attacks? Do you have ANY substance for your claims about Southern Fire Service and Sales?

This could be very valuable to me, as I posted I am picking up a truck tomorrow!

Comment

Yes - neighboring department went out to bid on a tanker and it came back around $170k, but the truck was also not NFPA compliant. I have not sat down to look at their spec and see exactly what it was that was not to spec, but they decided against this place due to this. They also found people that had their trucks and complained of cheap, chinsy design, and poor quality. They were scared off and moved on to different manufacturers to quote. Just a heads up for all of you.

Comment

Ok... As I have stated, 13 calls to 13 department culled from their customer list, each and every one stated they would gladly buy again. All of them report having NFPA compliant trucks. My specs are very clear about NFPA compliance. The two rigs I saw while I toured their facility looked just as good as any other manufacturer I have climbed all over, as have the two I saw in Missouri, the one in TN, and the one in AL.

I call BS. Just my opinion, but I find it hard to believe with all my research I would not have heard something. I even posted to PA fire, and here asking for opinions.

Again it sounds like an agency trying to justify their reasoning for picking someone else, and they should realize they can make justifications a lot easier than bad mouthing.

Comment

It wasn't BS. They had a genuine reason for moving away from that builder and went with something more expensive. This was the first time I heard of this builder and for me, I do not have any other experience with them.

Comment

our fd justwent thru the whole process with the bids, we are in alabama, we took bids from 7 or 8 builders in our surrounding states, southern fire was the low bidder, but their truck was no where near specs, they spec'd galv. piping for pump, no Quality assurance program, and contract, well, all i can say is read carefully. after much deliberation, and most compliant with our spec, we signed contract last month with Pierce. word of advise, do not settle for anything less than what your dept needs and wants.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Cobra View Post
                              Yes - neighboring department went out to bid on a tanker and it came back around $170k, but the truck was also not NFPA compliant. I have not sat down to look at their spec and see exactly what it was that was not to spec, but they decided against this place due to this. They also found people that had their trucks and complained of cheap, chinsy design, and poor quality. They were scared off and moved on to different manufacturers to quote. Just a heads up for all of you.
                              Knowing something about speccing helps here. Not ONE of the last five rigs we bought has suffered from these afflictions. And they were NOT all from the same builder. Put together a good spec with a GOOD final inspection you will have VERY little trouble with most builders. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Cobra View Post
                                It wasn't BS. They had a genuine reason for moving away from that builder and went with something more expensive. This was the first time I heard of this builder and for me, I do not have any other experience with them.
                                Just so I get this right. You have not seen the bid or the response. You have no knowledge of the company. Someone with another department told you this, so it is gospel, even though that other department had a GREAT reason for their purchase from a local dealer of another product.

Sort of like those mythical door seals you were carrying on about.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X