No announcement yet.

Bronto Switches To Pierce From E One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody care to nick pic this??? Found it while doing a search on its history.

Bronto Skylift and E-One have teamed up to bring the Bronto F118 HDT emergency vehicle to North America. "The Bronto brand has typically been a European product," said Paul Stephenson. E-One product manager. "Bronto Skylift is headquartered in Tampere. Finland, and was purchased by Federal Signal in 1996.

"The Bronto F118 HDT was based on customer input gathered during our initial market penetration with a model that didn't exactly meet requirements. We were able to make a few small modification to our plan to more closely meet our customer requirements for more side reach for access buildings."

The Bronto vehicle is powered by a Detroit Diesel series 60 engine rated 470 hp at this application. The engine drives an Allison HD456PR five-speed transmission with output retarder to assist in vehicle speed management and increase service brake life. Meritor supplies the front and rear axles, with a 21,000 lb. FL943 axle in front and a RT-58-180 axle rated 58,000 lb. in the rear.

The vechicle's hydraulic system uses twin Rexroth model 71 load-sensing hydraulic pumps.

The aerial device is mounted on an E-One Cyclone II chassis with an all aluminum E-One cab and body. "The chassis and body work is done right here in Ocala, Fla.," said Stephenson. "The aerial device comes over from Europe as an integrated, completely operational system and we just bolt it to the top of the truck."

The elevating platform has a side reach of 84 ft. and is capable of heights to 118 ft. The platform is capable of swiveling 45[degrees] left and right for a total swivel of 90[degrees]. The vehicle is equipped with a 2000 gpm Hale Qmax pump and a 300 gal. Ploypropylene water tank.
    From the reading of the first paragraph, Federal Signal owns the Finland company. Am I reading this wrong??

FM1

EDIT: Here is the link of the information: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_58062914/
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 03-22-2011, 03:18 AM.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Nope you are correct. Bronto has been owned by FS since 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
        Jay, VT has a 174' aerial?

I know they have a couple of 3 and 4 story hotels at the ski resort ... or at least that's what they had a few years ago.

I can imagine that driving that thing must be a bear on the access road.
        http://www.jayvt.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={63644070-49B7-4A95-B849-8BDE90A1759D}

Comment

Originally posted by sven73 View Post
          Nope you are correct. Bronto has been owned by FS since 1995.
          Thanks, I think I have it now. Bronto is/was the name of the company, and not a piece of equipment that was built or designed by another company in Finland.

Damn, it sucks being the noob on fire equipment, companies, manufacturers, etc, etc.

FM1
          I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
          "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Coming from a country that exclusivley use Bronto's and working for a department that uses Bronto's exclusivley, I can tell you that Bronto's just don't suit the American fire service from what I have seen. They are slow to set up, which just doesn't suit the American way of working.

Perhaps it would be a complimentry piece to ladder companies etc, but for the traditional market perhaps not. If your response area was mainly industrial the Bronto would be a good idea, great platform.

One piece I have used and I still think would be good for America is the Metz Ladders, so incredibly fast to set up, and are so small and nimble....and yes you guys bang on about ground ladders, but for a small department they would be sensational.

The Bronto really is geared towards the european way of firefighting, which is they way we operate in Australia. We only run with 2 crew, and pretty much have no gear on it, just the boom.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X