Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Educate me if you can please...

I know what the Bronto is, so I'm good there. What I don't understand, is why you (as FS), would want to move around who manufactures it. Is it jumping on the bandwagon for builders every so many years, or who can produce it with a higher profit margin???

I presume they are built with the same blueprints and materials, per the original designer.

FM1
    Pierce won't be building the devices, only marketing them and installing fire bodies around a Bronto package.

Perhaps they moved to Pierce in order to actually sell a few units. E-1 is still rebounding from their massive dealer exodus a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by npfd801 View Post
      Honestly, Bronto needs the type of blindly loyal Pierce folks to buy the product. Head to head, the Rosenbauer product soundly trounces the Bronto boom.
      Hardly, the two look identical to the untrained eye. That being said I would give the nod to the T-Rex because of better controls/electronics...

Comment

1+ is Pierce builds a good chassis... except for ours that the rear keeps shifting on

At least they circle the problem.
        FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
          Educate me if you can please...

I know what the Bronto is, so I'm good there. What I don't understand, is why you (as FS), would want to move around who manufactures it. Is it jumping on the bandwagon for builders every so many years, or who can produce it with a higher profit margin???

I presume they are built with the same blueprints and materials, per the original designer.

FM1
          HMMMMM, Call me crazy. Pierce does reverse engineering on just about every manufacturer out there. They dismantle a product, beef it up, tweek, redesign a little and reassemble to their specs. Now take that concept and look at how many departments across the US are searching for a vehicle that has the functionality of a snorkle???????? Chicago want to Bid out for replacement Squad Company's at the end of the year!!!!!!!!! Take a bronto, dismantle and reverse engineer it down to a 55-60 ft design..... MONEY IN THE BANK.

Comment

I'm 99% positive Rosenbauer/Metz has a smaller version of their articulating boom, I'm sure Bronto does too already developed for other markets/regions. Pierce could probably tap Bronto to "fire" rate a smaller platform already in production for substantially less than engineering a new solution.

The return on investment though just to sell three booms to Chicago seems pretty slim. If everyone wanted Snorkels, ALF would be selling the crap out of them. And while I'm pretty fond of what the Metz product can do, I'm the first person to say they haven't taken the American fire service by storm...

I think the idea of Chicago having a small, nimble Snorkel style aerial device while also meeting compliance with the latest industry standard rules and regs, just isn't feasible. Yes, I know in Europe there are such monsters, but they are not meeting the U.S. fire service standards for capacities, etc.
            "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Originally posted by laddertruckgoes View Post
              1+ is Pierce builds a good chassis... except for ours that the rear keeps shifting on

At least they circle the problem.
              Sean thats just a figment of your imagination.
              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                Sean thats just a figment of your imagination.
                Hater......
                Matt G.
                Battalion Chief
                IACOJ-Member
                FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by mtg55 View Post
                  Hater......
                  Hater,Realist,Kool aide drinker the list goes on and on. But the TRUTH is,if they fell off the planet Monday you COULD still buy a firetruck tuesday. That undoubtably would respond to emergencies and make them go away. Around these parts,there are many brands being used and I don't see any that are WAY ahead of anybody elses.But we don't run tons of fires so who knows. Or more to the point,who cares. T.C.
                  Last edited by Rescue101; 03-18-2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                    Hater,Realist,Kool aide drinker the list goes on and on. But the TRUTH is,if they fell off the planet Monday you COULD still buy a firetruck tuesday. That undoubtably would respond to emergencies and make them go away. Around these parts,rhere are many brands being used and I don't see any that are WAY ahead of anybody elses.But we don't run tons of fires so who knows. Or more to the point,who cares. T.C.
                    TC leave the poor boy alone. Where he comes from, they can afford the ovals.....They light their cigars using $50 bills. You need to see their newly renovated museum. Show the man some pictures of the museum and the Ward Lafrance, Matty.
                    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Hehe,guess my mechanic is showing. T.C.

Comment

Chicago Snorkel Need

Originally posted by npfd801 View Post
                        I'm 99% positive Rosenbauer/Metz has a smaller version of their articulating boom, I'm sure Bronto does too already developed for other markets/regions. Pierce could probably tap Bronto to "fire" rate a smaller platform already in production for substantially less than engineering a new solution.

The return on investment though just to sell three booms to Chicago seems pretty slim. If everyone wanted Snorkels, ALF would be selling the crap out of them. And while I'm pretty fond of what the Metz product can do, I'm the first person to say they haven't taken the American fire service by storm...

I think the idea of Chicago having a small, nimble Snorkel style aerial device while also meeting compliance with the latest industry standard rules and regs, just isn't feasible. Yes, I know in Europe there are such monsters, but they are not meeting the U.S. fire service standards for capacities, etc.
                        Question to those who know (really...lol) IS is the articulating feature of the Snorkel that CFD like or just the 50 ft. of vertical reach with a platform? Would a smal telescopic boom with a platform do the job that met their rigorous wear/tear.

Comment

Bronto back to Pierce

Pierce was originally involved in Bronto red side distribution & mounting in the mid 90s, but when Federal Signal purchased Bronto in the late 90s, those responsibilities shifted to E-One.
                          Now that Federal has sold E-One, but still owns Bronto, those responsibilities had to go somewhere. Pierce/Bronto always seemed like a better fit...

Comment

Originally posted by Aerialguy11 View Post
                            Question to those who know (really...lol) IS is the articulating feature of the Snorkel that CFD like or just the 50 ft. of vertical reach with a platform? Would a smal telescopic boom with a platform do the job that met their rigorous wear/tear.
                            As I understood at the time, the short, articulating Snorkel worked well for the elevated trains. I have also seen them being used in alleys as well.

Comment

Bronto & Pierce

Originally posted by skylifter View Post
                              Pierce was originally involved in Bronto red side distribution & mounting in the mid 90s, but when Federal Signal purchased Bronto in the late 90s, those responsibilities shifted to E-One.
                              Now that Federal has sold E-One, but still owns Bronto, those responsibilities had to go somewhere. Pierce/Bronto always seemed like a better fit...
                              Oh please... you aren't accurate at all about Pierce being originally involved with the Bronto. Bronto entered into North America in the mid 80s in Canada and then they tried to work with the management of Pierce for the US market but they (Pierce) did everything they could to discourage and ruin the market for the Bronto hence it didn't go over in the US for a number of years until Fed Sig bought it when they owned E One but then E One didn't do a good job either obviously.

Oh well as they say time will tell! Bets anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerialguy11 View Post
                                Oh please... you aren't accurate at all about Pierce being originally involved with the Bronto. Bronto entered into North America in the mid 80s in Canada and then they tried to work with the management of Pierce for the US market but they (Pierce) did everything they could to discourage and ruin the market for the Bronto hence it didn't go over in the US for a number of years until Fed Sig bought it when they owned E One but then E One didn't do a good job either obviously.

Oh well as they say time will tell! Bets anyone?
                                There used to be a guy that posted on a regular basis that could give us some insight to this. C'mon gig buy give us your take. You sold enough Bronto's to get that big ring. Talk to us.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X