Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beast of a Rescue Squad

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beast of a Rescue Squad

    Disclaimer: I grew up around this firehouse and have plenty of friends there so maybe I'm partial.....

    ....but this looks like one hell of a rig. A lot of thought was put into it and it looks like it will be a truely one of a kind rig.

    http://www.dpcemergency.com/news/bccrs_11211.pdf
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  • #2
    Get rid of the hinged doors, and have them install ROM roll-up doors. Noticed the air bags, but didn't see if you had Paratech's or other, for struts. Otherwise, looks pretty nice.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Originally posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
      Get rid of the hinged doors, and have them install ROM roll-up doors.
      FM1
      I agree. I am not sure how accessible items on the rear slide-out toolboards will be with the hinged door open? You don't see many hinged door/roll-up door combinations, but you could always do it.

      BCC's old squad is a Saulsbury and is very nice. I applaud people for laying out where the equipment goes during the design of the unit but sometimes wonder on why like items are not stored together?

      There appears to be air equipment in three of more compartments. High pressure air bags in one compartment, medium pressure in another, air tools in another. I think I would just put all the air equipment together in the "air" compartment.

      Have another compartment for gasoline powered equipment which would be vented. To each their own.

      At least they are getting an AMKUS Ultimate system which, unless you have one or operated one, can't be beat. A 6-tool system at that.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
        Get rid of the hinged doors, and have them install ROM roll-up doors. Noticed the air bags, but didn't see if you had Paratech's or other, for struts. Otherwise, looks pretty nice.

        FM1
        Yes they have Paratechs. I'm guessing that they will be in the rear compartments on each side, thats where they are now (on the vertical slide out) I'm not a member there, but remember hearing the last time I was down there that they looked into roll up doors and they weren't well recieved. Not sure why.


        I wish at our department we had hinged doors as opposed to roll ups.... I'm not a fan.
        ------------------------------------
        These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
        ------------------------------------

        Comment


        • #5
          It will be a nice truck no doubt, but I didn't see anything that made me go Ohh Ahh too much.

          And I agree on the doors. Roll ups will make getting to everything much easier.
          Career Firefighter
          Volunteer Captain

          -Professional in Either Role-

          Originally posted by Rescue101
          I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
            It will be a nice truck no doubt, but I didn't see anything that made me go Ohh Ahh too much.
            Agreed, it's nothing spectacular, it's a heavy rescue designed for a busy house.

            Looking at it First thing I do is get rid of the fold down steps and offer the crew a sensible and safe alternative such as a ladder assembly or staircase(power folding to offer a crypt style access for large items such as stokes, litters or backboards)

            Good luck to the house on the new truck

            Comment


            • #7
              Bccrs

              It's sad they won't have a Saulsbury anymore.

              It looks like the fold down steps are for service work on the hydraulic systems.

              I'll chime in on the door thing. I do not like roll ups you have to secure everything very well. If you have a slightly aggressive driver things can be thrown up against a roll up door making it inoperative. Now yes if thrown against a hinged door it can fall out but at least you can access the other stuff after you pick up the piece that fell out. Roll ups can throw a shoe and be inoperative and hinged doors can either have a rod of cable failure on the latches, at least with those you can unscrew the latch and hopefully the problem isn't at the striker part of the latch. Yes they offer a different kind of access but the hinged doors don't shrink the usable space in the compartment nor do they obstruct the placement of items in the upper portion of the compartment. The little things like matching paint with the same color used by the door manufacturer. Striping issues where the gaps don't line up and it throws the whole thing off. Okay that's my rant.
              Fyrtrks

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Fyrtrks View Post
                I'll chime in on the door thing. I do not like roll ups you have to secure everything very well. If you have a slightly aggressive driver things can be thrown up against a roll up door making it inoperative. Now yes if thrown against a hinged door it can fall out but at least you can access the other stuff after you pick up the piece that fell out. Roll ups can throw a shoe and be inoperative and hinged doors can either have a rod of cable failure on the latches, at least with those you can unscrew the latch and hopefully the problem isn't at the striker part of the latch. Yes they offer a different kind of access but the hinged doors don't shrink the usable space in the compartment nor do they obstruct the placement of items in the upper portion of the compartment. The little things like matching paint with the same color used by the door manufacturer. Striping issues where the gaps don't line up and it throws the whole thing off. Okay that's my rant.
                We have run into this problem with our rescue squad. It is a pain to try and correct. Luckily the compartments it has happened to were either transverse or we could get up enough to push the equipment back into place to open to door.


                I think this is part of their reasoning for no roll ups.... their current squads are packed to the gills. There is definitely no room for roll ups on the current squads.
                ------------------------------------
                These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
                ------------------------------------

                Comment


                • #9
                  http://www.deptfordfd.org/images/rescue_938.jpg

                  This is closest to a Beast of a Rescue!!!! Well at least that I have seen!!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My humble opinions on those issues are this. First, if you have to worry about an "aggressive" driver slingling equipment into the doors you probably need to secure your equipment better. Second, if you have to worry about how much space the roll up door will take in the compartment because you will be packing the truck as full as can be, maybe you should think about a bigger truck.
                    Career Firefighter
                    Volunteer Captain

                    -Professional in Either Role-

                    Originally posted by Rescue101
                    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Fire562 View Post
                      http://www.deptfordfd.org/images/rescue_938.jpg

                      This is closest to a Beast of a Rescue!!!! Well at least that I have seen!!!!!
                      From the looks of the picture it looks like its about the same size as the one in the drawings.... its the same cab I know that much.
                      ------------------------------------
                      These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
                      ------------------------------------

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Fire562 View Post

                        This is closest to a Beast of a Rescue!!!! Well at least that I have seen!!!!!
                        this is the beast I've seen and got to jump into.

                        http://www.town.richmond-hill.on.ca/...re_station_8_4

                        Nicknamed Squadzilla... She's a big Girl, sorry I don't have a better photo

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          What about this one that is for sale?

                          http://www.fentonfire.com/rescue_tru...g.php?lid=2959

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Usually if someone says something about a crazy squad, this is the first truck that comes to mind for me:

                            Career Firefighter
                            Volunteer Captain

                            -Professional in Either Role-

                            Originally posted by Rescue101
                            I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
                              From the looks of the picture it looks like its about the same size as the one in the drawings.... its the same cab I know that much.
                              From what I can recall looking at the drawings, I believe the Deptford Rescue was something like 43'8" bumper to bumper (when finished versus the drawing length) which is 5' longer than the Rescue 1. My company had purchased their old rescue and I had the opportunity to see this the day it was delivered. It was a massive, but well thought out

                              rescue.http://www.svitrucks.com/imageupload...Drawing123.pdf
                              Last edited by Fire562; 02-27-2011, 08:59 AM.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X