No announcement yet.

Light Rescues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking at the new Navistar Terrastar light duty truck (class 5) the other day on the lot of the dealership. I was very impressed, flip up hood, big cab,low frame height, aluminum fuel tank, big door handle, great visabilty. The truck looked to be well suited for light duty applications. The truck cab impressed me the most I wish they had a 4 door. They said they are comeing out with a four wheel drive version this year.
    Sounds like you have a nice layout, I would add a third reel and have a combi and a small gas powered unit. We have the hurst MOC combi, we hardley ever pull out the spreader the third real with a combi will allow you to have two seperate operations going at once, cutter/ spreader at one combi on the other Invest in some rescue jacks we use them more then airbags.

Comment

Where would the ideal spot for the third reel be? Which hydraulic tools would be best suitable for a light-medium rescue?

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
        It may be a medium duty chassis, but it is not a medium duty rescue. Rule of thumb is that anything on a chassis like we are talking about is considered light. Medium would be a commercial chassis and heavy would be a custom chassis. At least that is the way I have always looked at it, and appearantly so do the manufacterers.

http://svitrucks.com/rescues.asp
        From the site you linked:

"Medium Rescues are typically built on Medium Duty 2-door, extended cab, or 4-door, 4 x 2 or 4 x 4 Commercial Freightliner, or Navistar cab/chassis in body lengths from 14' to 20'."

Note the word, "typically" and the fact that they state they build medium duty rescues on medium duty chassis.

The Ford F550 is a medium duty chassis. They might use literary license to call it a Superduty but their published body builder books refer to it as a medium duty. Class 5 chassis are medium duty. You can call them light duty but the truck industry doesn't.

If Spartan were to build a chassis in the 16,000 GVWR range it would also be a medium duty since custom and commercial have no bearing on the matter.

I have worked for body and chassis builders for over thirty years and never heard of your rule of thumb.
        Last edited by firepundit; 03-01-2011, 09:16 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X