Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neiowa
    replied
    Add a "+" switch to replace a joystick as on an Elkhart Sidewinder monitor.

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    replied
    Originally posted by ATFDFF View Post
    Not to hijack the thread...but speak for yourself. I know of plenty of my guys who put their gloves on while we are en route. If I'm assigned to OV for the day, and we get a job, I know I'm going to be working for quite a while before I need to mask up....if I do at all. Same thing if I'm going to the roof. As far as engine guys go, while not as common, I know of many who will put their gloves on en route, so they'll be on when they are stretching.
    I did speak for myself. Additionally, if your doing those jobs, hopefully you are not riding up front worrying about switches. In fact, nearly ALL apparatus I have seen has the primary light controls on the Driver's side.

I wouldn't market a switch panel based on whether or not you could use it wearing firefighter gloves.

Leave a comment:

• rmcatee1
    replied
    Might also look at the law enforcement market as well. Cop cars are small and airbag deployment is a concern there.

Leave a comment:

• firepundit
    replied
    Originally posted by Recelect View Post
    We are working with the marine market now, except with a different color panel.

As far as logic, yes it is possible, but not currently active, which is one reason we are asking questions about what you would like to see it do. I can see interlocks used for park signals, and for neutral safety, is there anything else that would be interlocked? or anything else an input would be used for?

we can see 3 way switching
    black out
    turn on
    and interlock.

and these would be assignable to 1 or all switches through the programming mode.

Thanks for your input.

Patrick
    Other interlocks might include:
    Deployable equipment racks (ladder, folding tank, etc.)
    Light Towers
    Tailgates
    Masts
    Roll-out Trays

Who knows what else a customer might want? Having the ability to do so easily rather than wiring a series of relays to perform binary logic from parts on hand would be nice, if the price is right. There are other companies that make similar products, just not as compact so price would definitely be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Recelect
    replied
    Not to hijack the thread...but speak for yourself. I know of plenty of my guys who put their gloves on while we are en route. If I'm assigned to OV for the day, and we get a job, I know I'm going to be working for quite a while before I need to mask up....if I do at all. Same thing if I'm going to the roof. As far as engine guys go, while not as common, I know of many who will put their gloves on en route, so they'll be on when they are stretching.
    I have responded to calls with my gloves on as well, Usually it was when it was 2 degrees outside in the ice cold POV, or engine. Our station was kept at 50 degrees just to keep the water from freezing. it happens. The panel does work with gloves though....

Leave a comment:

• Recelect
    replied
    Originally posted by firepundit View Post
    It looks like it would have application possibilities with light and medium rescues as well as wildland units and Chief's cars. I don't know of too many reputable upfitters that run the actual load through a switch anymore so the current per circuit is more than enough. The relays we primarily use only draw 350 milliamps and I cannot think of any circumstance where we would need to power 10 relays from a single switch circuit.

I see where the switch functions can be programmed but, can any logic be programmed into the system? If so then interlocks become a distinct possibility.

Obviously it would only be redundant in any multiplexed system.

Since you seem to be going all out on water resistance, don't forget to market to boaters and boat builders. The marine market is always looking for ways to save space. Or, to save time and trouble, you might think of vending it to Paneltronics.

Good luck.
    We are working with the marine market now, except with a different color panel.

As far as logic, yes it is possible, but not currently active, which is one reason we are asking questions about what you would like to see it do. I can see interlocks used for park signals, and for neutral safety, is there anything else that would be interlocked? or anything else an input would be used for?

we can see 3 way switching
    black out
    turn on
    and interlock.

and these would be assignable to 1 or all switches through the programming mode.

Thanks for your input.

Patrick

Leave a comment:

• firepundit
    replied
    It looks like it would have application possibilities with light and medium rescues as well as wildland units and Chief's cars. I don't know of too many reputable upfitters that run the actual load through a switch anymore so the current per circuit is more than enough. The relays we primarily use only draw 350 milliamps and I cannot think of any circumstance where we would need to power 10 relays from a single switch circuit.

I see where the switch functions can be programmed but, can any logic be programmed into the system? If so then interlocks become a distinct possibility.

Obviously it would only be redundant in any multiplexed system.

Since you seem to be going all out on water resistance, don't forget to market to boaters and boat builders. The marine market is always looking for ways to save space. Or, to save time and trouble, you might think of vending it to Paneltronics.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    I am a mid volume upfitter in Missouri. Want a real produce evaluation send me one.

I have a Chiefs vehicle right now that IF it works it would be slick in.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied

In all my years on the job, I never put gloves on while inside the cab. That was one of the last things that went on after the breather and face piece.

If then!

Leave a comment:

• ATFDFF
    replied
    Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post

2. Disregard any comments about buttons being too small to use with gloves on. In nearly 20 years I have not, nor do I know anyone who has had their gloves on while operating the lights or siren. If you have, calm down a little. Out your gloves on when you get there after you are suited up.

Leave a comment:

• FIREMECH1
    replied
    Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    1. If you are marketing this to the volunteer market, the problem I see is that most people direct wire stuff and rely on the switch to be able to handle the entire load.

As others have stated, 2.5 amps would only handle a single LED circuit unless people rewired their entire set up through relays.

Kinda takes away from the "you won't have to re-wire anything" concept.
    Actually, that is not true. A single LED pulls in about 25mA (milliamperes) at 3 volts. So using a 48 LED light head would use less than a half an amp (.500 amps). So no, you wouldn't have to rewire anything. If you're running halogen or strobes, you should be running relays anyways. So your wiring shouldn't change there either. All the LED's I have wired up only require a 3 amp fuse, max.

FM1

Leave a comment:

• Tim1118
    replied
    Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    I would think that would be a nice item to have for those that run POV's, or starting from scratch wiring up Battalion Chief buggies, etc.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Especially with the newer vehicles not leaving a lot of room for switch panels, radio's, lights, etc. Also, there may be use for them on ATV's such as a Ranger or a Mule that needs a switch panel without wanted to add something that will get kicked when guys get in or out of it.

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    replied
    1. If you are marketing this to the volunteer market, the problem I see is that most people direct wire stuff and rely on the switch to be able to handle the entire load.

As others have stated, 2.5 amps would only handle a single LED circuit unless people rewired their entire set up through relays.

Kinda takes away from the "you won't have to re-wire anything" concept.

2. Disregard any comments about buttons being too small to use with gloves on. In nearly 20 years I have not, nor do I know anyone who has had their gloves on while operating the lights or siren. If you have, calm down a little. Out your gloves on when you get there after you are suited up.

3. If you really want feedback, send one to the following address and I'll let you know what I think:

Robert Kramer
    1918 Glen Turret Dr.
    Cordova, TN 38016
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 01-03-2011, 10:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    You asked. I answered. ALL the stuff I Spec, INCLUDING my Buggy's, is Super duty. Life critical items are USUALLY redundant. Don't/Won't use "jeepster" stuff. EVERYTHING I spec(vehicle electrical) has an anticipated SERVICE life of 25+ years. Some stuff obviously won't last that long but that is how WE spec it. T.C.

Leave a comment:

• Recelect
    replied
    Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Damn, ninja'd.

C'mon Tim, think about it. That's enough juice to power a 30w light bulb.

Recelect... There really are not places for your item on fire engines. Problem is, most are now V-Mux or ES-Key systems which are multi-plexed systems using nodes as the end communicator to the end load device. As for working as your "jeepster", I would think that would be a nice item to have for those that run POV's, or starting from scratch wiring up Battalion Chief buggies, etc. I just wired up my son-in-laws truck with LED's and strobe lights. Your item would have been a nice thing to have.

FM1

Thanks FM1. I have recieved advice from you before and it has always been top notch. I would agree, The system in it's current form would not really have a place in the larger apparatus, and again, it is built for the jeepster community, I am just testing the waters with this one with the emergency vehicle market.

I am no stranger to wiring emergency aparatus, and was a voly for 5 years; it is deffinitly built with the voly in mind. I also have worked on the weldon V-mux systems, and we are not even trying to compete with those. It is also tough to compete with something like the Whelen Cencom with our system, because ours is not a siren. It is just a neat, Low profile switch panel that works well for vehicles with tight spaces, and without the budget for the V-mux.

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X