X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Recelect
    MembersZone Subscriber
    • Sep 2009

New type of switch panel system

So my company, WIRED HDH, has just developed this switch panel system. We are marketing it for the off road and racing market currently, but we think there could be many uses is the fire industry as well. I would like to hear your opinions and what you would use it on.

Some specs.
    The panel itself is only 1/32" thick.
    It is made from a very hi grade material that withstands UV light, Chemicles, and is also water proof.
    The panel mounts to any flat or even slightly curved surface with the use of a high grade 3m double back tape.
    Once mounted, a harness quickly connects from the panel to a control unit. the control unit is full waterproof, and this is where you plug your lighting and other accessories into. The outputs are rated for 2.5 amps each so you can run low current accessories, or trigger wires for lightbars and relays. They are electronically fused so no need for an additional fuse block.
    Comes with a full installation kit, and a sheet of 600 legends.

After installed, it is programmable. You can program the switches to be toggle, or a momentary button, and also active only when the key is on, or all the time, and programming these functions is done on the fly, with out the need for a computer. It literally takes 10 seconds. See the video to get a true feeling of how this works.

There is also 3 aux input funtions that we could activate to work as an input for 3 way switching, so you could have a momentary button mounted remotely, and be able to push it and turn on any number of switches on the panel.

What I want is to hear:
    1: your opinion on the panel for use in emergency vehicles,
    2: how you would want it to work - We are not sure it needs to be programmable once it has been programmed for the emergency use. We can also make it have a master switch, progressive on, load sheading, and a "siren package", that would work with a remote mounted siren amplifier. 3 or 4 buttons would be taken up with this feature.
    3: any other comments you would like to make.

Thanks!
    Patrick

The most innovative switch panel on the market. Flat, Waterproof, Chemicle resistant, and programmble, lets you mount this panel anywhere, and have the funct...

This video shows that the keypad not only takes the abuse of soda spills and dirt, but also shows how easy it is to install the keypad in an area with no spa...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Recelect; 01-02-2011, 11:02 AM.
    Patrick - Former Fire fighter.
    WIRED HDH
  • islandfire03
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2006

Looks like spam to me.
    Suggest you read the terms of use for the site.!

Comment

• Recelect
      MembersZone Subscriber
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by islandfire03
      Looks like spam to me.
      Suggest you read the terms of use for the site.!
      Just trying to get some opinions on the use of this in Emergency vehicles. Hopefully we can get some good feedback on the system.

Thanks.

Patrick
      WIRED HDH

Comment

• CaptOldTimer
        Forum Member
        • Jun 1999

Originally posted by Recelect
        Just trying to get some opinions on the use of this in Emergency vehicles. Hopefully we can get some good feedback on the system.

Thanks.

Patrick
        So my company, WIRED HDH, has just developed this switch panel system. We are marketing it for the off road and racing market currently, but we think there could be many uses is the fire industry as well. I would like to hear your opinions and what you would use it on.

Some specs.
        The panel itself is only 1/32" thick.
        It is made from a very hi grade material that withstands UV light, Chemicles, and is also water proof.
        The panel mounts to any flat or even slightly curved surface with the use of a high grade 3m double back tape.
        Once mounted, a harness quickly connects from the panel to a control unit. the control unit is full waterproof, and this is where you plug your lighting and other accessories into. The outputs are rated for 2.5 amps each so you can run low current accessories, or trigger wires for lightbars and relays. They are electronically fused so no need for an additional fuse block.
        Comes with a full installation kit, and a sheet of 600 legends.

After installed, it is programmable. You can program the switches to be toggle, or a momentary button, and also active only when the key is on, or all the time, and programming these functions is done on the fly, with out the need for a computer. It literally takes 10 seconds. See the video to get a true feeling of how this works.

There is also 3 aux input funtions that we could activate to work as an input for 3 way switching, so you could have a momentary button mounted remotely, and be able to push it and turn on any number of switches on the panel.

What I want is to hear:
        1: your opinion on the panel for use in emergency vehicles,
        2: how you would want it to work - We are not sure it needs to be programmable once it has been programmed for the emergency use. We can also make it have a master switch, progressive on, load sheading, and a "siren package", that would work with a remote mounted siren amplifier. 3 or 4 buttons would be taken up with this feature.
        3: any other comments you would like to make.

Also, if anyone wanted to purchase the current model now, visit

And if you use the store checkout instead of paypal, you can enter the coupon code "firehouse" and get $30 off the retail price.

Thanks!
        Patrick

The most innovative switch panel on the market. Flat, Waterproof, Chemicle resistant, and programmble, lets you mount this panel anywhere, and have the funct...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mun4GERVy7w

It is in fact an advertisment.
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

• Recelect
          MembersZone Subscriber
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
          It is in fact an advertisment.
          I have taken down the coupon code and the website from my original post. I am interested in the sale of these systems yes, but i am trying to get feedback on the system so we can make sure when we do pay for the advertising on this site, the switchpanel meets the needs of the members viewing it.

Thanks for your input.
          WIRED HDH

Comment

• ATFDFF
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2007

Let me try to be a bit helpful here. I like it, but the main thing I see as a potential issue is the size of the buttons. Often when we would need to use this we would be responding to a run....and fire apparatus don't have the best shock absorbers. That combined with the fact some may have their gloves on during the response would lead me to believe that it may be difficult to hit the right button properly. So if there was a way to make the buttons themselves larger, it would probably be significantly more convenient.

Comment

• Recelect
              MembersZone Subscriber
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ATFDFF
              Let me try to be a bit helpful here. I like it, but the main thing I see as a potential issue is the size of the buttons. Often when we would need to use this we would be responding to a run....and fire apparatus don't have the best shock absorbers. That combined with the fact some may have their gloves on during the response would lead me to believe that it may be difficult to hit the right button properly. So if there was a way to make the buttons themselves larger, it would probably be significantly more convenient.
              Thankyou for your input. We were actualy thinking that we would have an emergency vehicle keypad specific for those reasons. The panel shown is for the guy putting in his wrangler. it needed to be small. but we could do a keypad with buttons as big as we wanted, we just need to be carefull of where it would mount. We would still expect this panel to go into command cars, and small brush trucks.

There is a video of the use of this with gloves on, and it deffinitly works. The buttons are far enough apart where you won't "fat finger" it, but they can be alittle hard to find with thick structure gloves...

Thanks again!
              WIRED HDH

Comment

• Rescue101
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2001

2.5 amps will run NOTHING on a modern day fire apparatus. In many cases it wouldn't be adequate to trigger many relays. I'd say back to the drawing board. T.C.

Comment

• Recelect
                  MembersZone Subscriber
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Rescue101
                  2.5 amps will run NOTHING on a modern day fire apparatus. In many cases it wouldn't be adequate to trigger many relays. I'd say back to the drawing board. T.C.

Most the automotive relays we have tested draw less than 500 milliamps, so we feel we can get at least 5 relays per output, and 40 relays for the entire panel. What relays are you using that draw more current then that? I would like to know so we can test them to advise people against their use with our system. We have seen some low grade solenoids that will draw close to the 2.5 amp rating, but would still work.

As far as running everything direct on a fire apparatus, that is not neccessarily the intent; and we expect this system to be used in the tahoes, trucks and smaller vehicles, not a full engine. We intend that relays would be used or most of the items used will have trigger wires. For instance, Whelen LED lightbars have a large positive and large Negative that is supposed to be run to the battery, and that is what carries the current. Then the bars lights are just triggered to activate by a signal wire. our switchpanel will work perfect for that. Also, Many LED lights we have tested have less draw than 1 amp per unit, especially when they are flashing. We have tested our unit for that as well with great success.

The unit was made with the "jeeper" in mind, and was meant to be Lower current so the average user does not need to bring a large 4 gauge wire into their vehicle to run stuff that will most likely be run on relays anyway. We have considered coming out with a higher amp unit, but we actually find in the markets we have tested that a lower current unit with a remote mounted relay assembly would be more usefull. We are in the process of coming out with a relay assembly that will be submersible, and it's intent is to be mounted on the outside in a frame rail. This unit can be used as just a relay assembly, or be attached to the control unit to give you 30 amp outputs up to 150 amps total.

Thank you for your input, and I hope I answered any questions you may have had.
                  WIRED HDH

Comment

• FIREMECH1
                    Forum Member
                    • Apr 2008

Most the automotive relays we have tested draw less than 500 milliamps, so we feel we can get at least 5 relays per output, and 40 relays for the entire panel.
                    Damn, ninja'd.

C'mon Tim, think about it. That's enough juice to power a 30w light bulb.

Recelect... There really are not places for your item on fire engines. Problem is, most are now V-Mux or ES-Key systems which are multi-plexed systems using nodes as the end communicator to the end load device. As for working as your "jeepster", I would think that would be a nice item to have for those that run POV's, or starting from scratch wiring up Battalion Chief buggies, etc. I just wired up my son-in-laws truck with LED's and strobe lights. Your item would have been a nice thing to have.

FM1
                    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 01-02-2011, 10:00 PM.
                    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

• Recelect
                      MembersZone Subscriber
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by FIREMECH1
                      Damn, ninja'd.

C'mon Tim, think about it. That's enough juice to power a 30w light bulb.

Recelect... There really are not places for your item on fire engines. Problem is, most are now V-Mux or ES-Key systems which are multi-plexed systems using nodes as the end communicator to the end load device. As for working as your "jeepster", I would think that would be a nice item to have for those that run POV's, or starting from scratch wiring up Battalion Chief buggies, etc. I just wired up my son-in-laws truck with LED's and strobe lights. Your item would have been a nice thing to have.

FM1

Thanks FM1. I have recieved advice from you before and it has always been top notch. I would agree, The system in it's current form would not really have a place in the larger apparatus, and again, it is built for the jeepster community, I am just testing the waters with this one with the emergency vehicle market.

I am no stranger to wiring emergency aparatus, and was a voly for 5 years; it is deffinitly built with the voly in mind. I also have worked on the weldon V-mux systems, and we are not even trying to compete with those. It is also tough to compete with something like the Whelen Cencom with our system, because ours is not a siren. It is just a neat, Low profile switch panel that works well for vehicles with tight spaces, and without the budget for the V-mux.

Thanks again!
                      WIRED HDH

Comment

• Rescue101
                        Forum Member
                        • Jun 2001

You asked. I answered. ALL the stuff I Spec, INCLUDING my Buggy's, is Super duty. Life critical items are USUALLY redundant. Don't/Won't use "jeepster" stuff. EVERYTHING I spec(vehicle electrical) has an anticipated SERVICE life of 25+ years. Some stuff obviously won't last that long but that is how WE spec it. T.C.

Comment

• MemphisE34a
                          Forum Member
                          • Jan 2004

1. If you are marketing this to the volunteer market, the problem I see is that most people direct wire stuff and rely on the switch to be able to handle the entire load.

As others have stated, 2.5 amps would only handle a single LED circuit unless people rewired their entire set up through relays.

Kinda takes away from the "you won't have to re-wire anything" concept.

2. Disregard any comments about buttons being too small to use with gloves on. In nearly 20 years I have not, nor do I know anyone who has had their gloves on while operating the lights or siren. If you have, calm down a little. Out your gloves on when you get there after you are suited up.

3. If you really want feedback, send one to the following address and I'll let you know what I think:

Robert Kramer
                          1918 Glen Turret Dr.
                          Cordova, TN 38016
                          Last edited by MemphisE34a; 01-03-2011, 09:35 PM.
                          RK
                          cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

• Tim1118
                            Forum Member
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by FIREMECH1
                            I would think that would be a nice item to have for those that run POV's, or starting from scratch wiring up Battalion Chief buggies, etc.
                            That's exactly what I was thinking. Especially with the newer vehicles not leaving a lot of room for switch panels, radio's, lights, etc. Also, there may be use for them on ATV's such as a Ranger or a Mule that needs a switch panel without wanted to add something that will get kicked when guys get in or out of it.
                            TruckCommittee.com

Comment

• FIREMECH1
                              Forum Member
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by MemphisE34a
                              1. If you are marketing this to the volunteer market, the problem I see is that most people direct wire stuff and rely on the switch to be able to handle the entire load.

As others have stated, 2.5 amps would only handle a single LED circuit unless people rewired their entire set up through relays.

Kinda takes away from the "you won't have to re-wire anything" concept.
                              Actually, that is not true. A single LED pulls in about 25mA (milliamperes) at 3 volts. So using a 48 LED light head would use less than a half an amp (.500 amps). So no, you wouldn't have to rewire anything. If you're running halogen or strobes, you should be running relays anyways. So your wiring shouldn't change there either. All the LED's I have wired up only require a 3 amp fuse, max.

FM1
                              I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                              "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...