No announcement yet.

Buying a new Tanker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Rescue101;1235728] In OUR "spring" I'd put our frost heaves against anything Pa can produce.

In my two trips to Maine, I was a lot more worried about hitting a Moose, than any frost heaves.

Comment

[QUOTE=donethat;1235824]
      Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
      In OUR "spring" I'd put our frost heaves against anything Pa can produce.

In my two trips to Maine, I was a lot more worried about hitting a Moose, than any frost heaves.
      Come on up in the SPRING (late Feb thru early April). Bring your spring loaded hat you'll need it. Get OFF the Interstates,they don't count. Moose don't move much in the spring. They're only a problem if the FALL over on your car(after you hit 'em). Hehe T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by nhfd350 View Post
        Our area is rural and 120 square miles with limited hydrant avails. Looking for 2000 gals or so. Have looked at Midwest, Four Guys, Deep South, and Fouts. Need to keep the truck at 2 axles with 750gpm per our grant. Looking to get the most bang for the buck. Thanks for any ideas.
        We've had our Mid-West for a year now and have been very happy with it. We too are rural, with no mutual aid... downside to being an island! Our neighboring island, Pender Island, has a single axle from them. I'm sure they can work with you and your budget to make sure you get the bang you're looking for.

"We accept great personal risk to save another person's life; We accept moderate personal risk to save another persons property; We accept no personal risk to save what is already lost"

Visit us on the web @ www.saltspringfire.com

Comment

just my 2 cents worth

only thing i can add to this disscussion is a mutual aid dept has a fourguys tanker/pumper that is aprox 20 yrs old now and still not giving problems seems they build a good product. also others around here have some danco units that seem ok. one dept has a deep south truck and it is true to statement here, POS!! they had it back to them 3-4 times and still not all to there spec but servicable i guess as they gave up the fight and are putting up with final product, you do not need that problem. our dept had a local tanke builder remove the old fire body from a alexis we had and install a 1800 gal with compartments and hose bed that holds 800 ft 21/2 in 1994 and has been a no frills no problem unit for its age. the tank and remount was done at midstate tank in sullivan illonois and i would not be afraid to use them in the future.
          Randy Meyer Chief S.T.F.P.D.

Comment

Quick google search

I found this unit on quick google search. They build nice units and their pricing looks pretty good.

http://www.danko.net/trucks/view/347

Comment

He may have a size issue. I only have 28 feet in length, and that is pointing us towards a single axle. There are a very few tandem axles that fit that, but mainly singles.

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                He may have a size issue. I only have 28 feet in length, and that is pointing us towards a single axle. There are a very few tandem axles that fit that, but mainly singles.
                Although I don't have the OAL for this one, this International chassis with body work by US Tankers is carrying 3000 gallons with a 750gpm pump. It's not really evident in the photo, but this is a really compact package for high-capacity tank.

Rustburg VFD; Campbell County, VA
                (Photo by me)
                Attached Files
                Career Fire Captain
                Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                  Here's a picture I took a couple months ago of a Deep South tanker built on a 2001 Freightliner FL70 chassis. I felt like this photo might be one of the best ways for people to appreciate the engineering on their product.

Shown are the accelerator and brake pedals. What's the cable for, you ask? The cable attached to the accelerator is run through the firewall, under the cab, and back to the pump panel where it's attached - get this - to the throttle on the pump panel. Not to worry, it's all done with equipment from the spare parts bin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about manual controls over electric when available, but I think this probably isn't the way to do it.
                  Are you kidding me? Is that for real?

Comment

We've had 2 "twin" elliptical tankers in the past 10 years, both 3200 water & 300 Foam, 1500 GMP with foam all around. Both were on Kenworth T-800 chassis... thats about where the "twin" part ends. The first was built by Pierce and was an awesome rig. It had a few teething problems at first but they were due to the way Kenworths electrical system is wired that caused the computer to send funny codes once the "fire truck" stuff was added to the chassis (KW rigs are wired in a way that will some how allow them to start up with only 8 volts...or something like that) So aside from that the rig was great. Our latest tanker was build by KME, we chose them because it saved us about $12K over Pierce, and I can tell you that there isn't one guy in that firehouse that would gladly go back in time and pay double that to get the Pierce. The KME had the same low voltage issue, but that was fixed fairly quick....thats where it all stops. We've had the pump shut down on us on a call......after KME insisting that it was a KW issue, we took it to KW twice and both times they traced it out to how KME wired something...that took about 6 months to get fixed.... shortly after that we developed body cracks, one each side at the same weld on each side.....only took KME 8 months to come look at it then another 3 to have it fixed. Last week it came back from KME from having the second set of body cracks fixed...this time they were in the same general area on both sides of the body only it wasn't welds, it was the actualy aluminum sheet goods used to make the body that cracked....it took almos a year from the time we noticed to the time they fixed it. I could go on and on about this god damn lemon, but you get the point. Best of luck to you.
                    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Comment

This is a 3000 gal tanker. Love it.

http://fire-46-photography.smugmug.c...56175911_yetJk
                      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X