what is a speedlay or crosslay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a speedlay or crosslay?

OK, cant really find this, I must be slow.
    I'm pretty sure I know what a crosslay is, our engine has 2-1.75 & 1-2.5 of them above the pump panel that transverse the cab.
    What is a speedlay and how is it different? The terms seemed to be used together but refer to different lays. Pictures would help.
    Thanks

I don't know if it's a regional difference or what. There are some different hoselays that are a little quicker to deploy, such as the Baker Load.
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

speedlays are lower than crosslays typically
      Originally Posted by madden01
      "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Comment

Speedlays have pull-out trays.

Comment

And...... Not to be confused with the term "Mattydale" coined after the Mattydale, NY FD.

As far as I know we have never called crosslays Mattydales.

I am from the old school and like the rear preconnected lines, next to the main hose bed. This puts the pumper or wagon pass the building and the hose plays out better. Plus it gives the front of the structure to the Truck Co.

Comment

Crosslay - Speedlay

Originally posted by FireRescue61 View Post
            Speedlays have pull-out trays.
            Not all speedlays have pull out trays but most of the time they do. Speedlays on a top mount with cutouts do not always have the pull out tray.

Crosslay in photo one
            Speedlay in photo 2 (with the pull out tray)
            Speedlays on a side mount in photo 3
            Attached Files

Comment

tomwnh summed it up. Some trucks have one or the other, some trucks have both.
              TruckCommittee.com

Comment

I always wondered about the mechanics of those pull out trays. How the heck do you preconnect something that pulls out like that, and how come they don't bind up when you slide them back in? It looks like you'd need a bionic arm to connect a pony length to the center swivel...

The only speedlays we have are in our old rescue pumper. They have no trays- they are located under the crew cab's bench seat, and you remove the seat cushion to repack em. If you try to add 1 length too many and/or use a TFT handline w/pistol grip, they get wedged very easily. A bit of a pain, but they are easily reached by even the shortest firefighter, and it sure beats climbing on top of a slippery, ice/slush covered pumper to repack the crosslays!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnee View Post
                  And...... Not to be confused with the term "Mattydale" coined after the Mattydale, NY FD.

As far as I know we have never called crosslays Mattydales.

I am from the old school and like the rear preconnected lines, next to the main hose bed. This puts the pumper or wagon pass the building and the hose plays out better. Plus it gives the front of the structure to the Truck Co.
                  I've seen several new pumpers with no crosslays/speedlays. Maybe we are going "back to the future."

C6

Comment

Above the hose load

[QUOTE=Nozzle nut 22;1229602]I always wondered about the mechanics of those pull out trays. How the heck do you preconnect something that pulls out like that, and how come they don't bind up when you slide them back in? It looks like you'd need a bionic arm to connect a pony length to the center swivel...

The chicksan swivels are at the top above the hose load. If you look at the photo of the speedlays in the side mount panel you can see one hanging down on in the upper speedlay opening.

Comment

When I design a truck from a specification I consider crosslays go horizontal across a truck and speedlays go vertical. You can get both crosslays and speedlays with a top-mount pump.

Comment

So I take it my 2 adopted Pierces with top mounts with the hose under the pump panel are actually Speed-lays and not Cross-lays?? As for getting to them, they are in a type of niche/hole under the pump panel, and not on a tray.

Why the need for the 2 different names, when they are used to do the same thing???

FM1
                        I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                        "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
                          Why the need for the 2 different names, when they are used to do the same thing???

FM1
                          Good question. One might assume that after so many years of rear hosebeds, when some places started having them laid crossways to the rear bed, they were dubbed "crosslays"? I'm betting "speedlay" was just a marketing name by some builder who wanted to promote them. I know our Central States has both styles and they were labelled "speedlay1 &2" and crosslay 1&2" by the builder, not us. None have the removable trays.

Comment

[QUOTE=tomwnh;1229605]
                            Originally posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
                            I always wondered about the mechanics of those pull out trays. How the heck do you preconnect something that pulls out like that, and how come they don't bind up when you slide them back in? It looks like you'd need a bionic arm to connect a pony length to the center swivel...

The "chicksan swivels" are at the top above the hose load. If you look at the photo of the speedlays in the side mount panel you can see one hanging down on in the upper speedlay opening.
                            Why are they called "chicksan swivals"?? Not just an elbow swival. I've heard them called that before, but don't know why.

Comment

FIREMECH1: You are correct. The ones under the pump panel would list as "Speedlays" and if you have hose behind the top mount panel those would be the "crosslays". It may be as simple an answer as manufacturers needing a way to differenciate between the two locations for design purposes.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X