Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Engines

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Engines

    We are looking at purchasing two new Class A engines. One of the manufacturers we are considering is Ferrara. I was not impressed with their older stuff, but the new units seem like they are very well built. Does anyone out there in cyber land have newer Ferrara's (2005 and newer) and if so, how are they holding up and what is your opinion of them?
    Thanks

  • #2
    I don't know much about Ferrara except what I've heard from departments that ran them, and none of it was good. My old department ran Sutphens, excellent apparatus, but pricey as well.

    Comment


    • #3
      My suggestion would be go to Ferrara's website and look at recent deliveries and contact some of them. I know Houston is a repeat buyer so they should have some valuable information for you. The FDNY is a repeat customer also. I noticed looking on their website that they have a pretty good mixture of large and small department customers.

      I wouldn't just talk to one guy in any department some people have a jaundiced eye and even if a rig is doing okay for them if it isn't the brand they wanted they will tell you it is junk.
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

      Comment


      • #4
        Our Ferraras have been working out fairly well for us.
        I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

        One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
        "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
        -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by IronsMan53 View Post
          Our Ferraras have been working out fairly well for us.
          Would you mind telling me what Ferraras you have?
          Thanks
          David

          Comment


          • #6
            My department has 2, a 2006 quint and an 09 rescue w cascade. I know the Quint was a night mare for the first 2 years with all kinds of stuff going wrong. From lifting out riggers while working off the ladder to it even catching fire twice. they have since had most of those bugs worked out but it still has electrical bugs. The Rescue has had some issues, mainly electrical. From what i'm told by Municipal mechanics, its next to impossible to get it serviced for warranty work.
            My station is on its 3rd e-one ladder and its 2nd e-one truck. The only major issue we ever had was on our E-One Hush. Turns out it was the main computer and E-one stopped using that make of computer about a year and a half after delivery so it was replaced free of charge. They were great to work with when specking the rig and were able to make changes to all of them to fit our needs, including a total redesign/engineering of their tiller, our latest purchase.

            Fire trucks are like pick up trucks, everyone has their favorite, and what works for me might not for you. Best of luck.
            It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

            It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

            Comment


            • #7
              Any new fire apparatus that is purchased today with all the electrical garbage on them, the most important thing to remember is ( SERVICE AFTER THE SALE ). All dealers love to sell for the $$ commission, make sure they have a good service department for warranty work! Make a few phone calls to other past buyers.

              Comment


              • #8
                We run an all Ferrera fleet of 1 custom engine, 1 custom rescue, 3 commercial engines, a tanker and 2 commercial tanker-pumpers.

                I moved down here 8 years ago from a department in VT that was transitioning into an all Stuphen fleet. At the time they had 2 Stuphen engines and a Stuphen 95' tower.

                While they are not, IMO, quite as top of the line, like the Stuphens, they are a reliable truck with a fair amount of durability.
                Train to fight the fires you fight.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post
                  My station is on its 3rd e-one ladder and its 2nd e-one truck. The only major issue we ever had was on our E-One Hush. Turns out it was the main computer and E-one stopped using that make of computer about a year and a half after delivery so it was replaced free of charge. They were great to work with when specking the rig and were able to make changes to all of them to fit our needs, including a total redesign/engineering of their tiller, our latest purchase.
                  Ya'll had problems with your Hush too? My department i was at had 3 of those suckers. The '89 model wasn't too bad, but the '93 and '97 models were garbage. The '97 would be going down the road and all of the lights would just go out, no reason. E-One could never figure it out either. But E-one's other apparatus are top quality. I think the Hush was just a bad egg all together, didn't they stop making them?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Seagravesstick View Post
                    Would you mind telling me what Ferraras you have?
                    Thanks
                    David
                    8 Intruder-2 pumpers ranging from 2006-2009 models. This is the latest one. (they are all very similar)

                    http://www.ferrarafire.com/NewDelive...pers/4430.html

                    We also have 5 2000 model Ferrara Trucks. 2 75' sticks and 3 104' platforms. They are on Gladiator chassis and have RK Aerials. The chassis, bodies, and 75' sticks are fine but the 104' RK platforms blow. I unterstand that Ferrara now utilizes Smeal aerials. That is a good move on their behalf.
                    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

                    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
                    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
                    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
                      Any new fire apparatus that is purchased today with all the electrical garbage on them, the most important thing to remember is ( SERVICE AFTER THE SALE ). All dealers love to sell for the $$ commission, make sure they have a good service department for warranty work! Make a few phone calls to other past buyers.
                      My thoughts exactly. As far as the commissions, everyone has to earn a living and keep the lights on, but service after the sale is primay. The brand of truck today doesn't matter as much as the dealer. Everyone makes a good truck (yes, there probably are a few exceptions), and they will all have problems eventually, but how the dealer takes care of said problems is what counts. I would ask for dealer references before I would ask for truck brand references.
                      TruckCommittee.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by IronsMan53 View Post
                        8 Intruder-2 pumpers ranging from 2006-2009 models. This is the latest one. (they are all very similar)

                        http://www.ferrarafire.com/NewDelive...pers/4430.html

                        We also have 5 2000 model Ferrara Trucks. 2 75' sticks and 3 104' platforms. They are on Gladiator chassis and have RK Aerials. The chassis, bodies, and 75' sticks are fine but the 104' RK platforms blow. I unterstand that Ferrara now utilizes Smeal aerials. That is a good move on their behalf.
                        Nice looking engine, are you happy with the Intruder chassis cab ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
                          Nice looking engine, are you happy with the Intruder chassis cab ?
                          They're re-branded HME's. Yeah, we're happy with them but the cabs are a little on the noisy side (hence our headsets). They're not top of the line but they serve the purpose. My rig (the 2007. job #3673) has a nice low engine tunnel but the newer rigs are higher more than likely caused by emissions.
                          I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

                          One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
                          "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
                          -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yes, all of the new emissions stuff is making the doghouses bigger, and giving the driver and officer less room... unless you go with wider cabs. You'd think they'd come up with a better solution for this. Less room in the cab, can't use the officers side PTO...
                            TruckCommittee.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Pumper bodies

                              Anyone out there know what the price difference is going from formed aluminum, to a upgrade stainless steel body for a pumper apparatus?

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X