Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGITCH
    replied
    We have one nearby department operating an old CJ5 with a tank on the back. They have another brush truck, but it was interesting to see this thing tearing across a field. No top, so would be way to cold to drive in the winter.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Where I grew up, there were a few departments that used jeeps as brush rigs. These were in areas where access was basically by 4-wheeler trails, and even a small pickup would have a problem gaining access.

In these situations, that 60 gallons represented a fair number of foot-borne Indian Tanks, so they were an answer to a very difficult problem. I'm sure there are still departments that face the same issue today and find the jeeps equally successful at gaining access on mule trails, where even the smallest 4WD pickup can't go. I am also sure that some of those departments have replaced their jeeps with Gators or larger capacity 4-wheelers and are finding them effective as well, and probably in the long run, cheaper to operate.

As far as this area, generally access isn't an issue that requires jeeps as an answer.

Leave a comment:

• LittleJoe7197
    replied
    Is 500 gallons (over 4,000lbs) of weight really needed?

Is an engine nearby that can fill your tank?

How do these companies get away with 60 gallon tanks in the back of Jeeps?

If Jeep comes out with a JK Wrangler Truck in 2012 it could help with the size issue, though it would not hold 300 gallons.

If Jeep would sell the J8 in the states, the Jeep Wrangler which is built on a 3/4 ton drivetrain, it would be better.......and diesel.

You can also take a 04-06 Wrangler Unlmited and add a half top to get a small "bed" for your tank - still limited in size though.

If someone wanted to convert a 97-06 Jeep Wrangler to an AEV Brute it would make a nice Brush truck also, though you would be limited on tank size. Of course, you would have a smaller chance of getting stuck.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mitchkrat
    replied
    Nice looking trucks

Originally posted by rescueraver View Post
    Here another single wheeled 550 with 500 gal

http://www.gfebrushtrucks.com/brush-truck-media.php
    Looks like they do quite a bit of work to the suspension.

All the 550's with 500 gallons around us have stock suspensions and dual rear tires - get stuck a lot.

From what I've read I like the super singles.

I have talked to a manufacture about the posibility of super singles on a F700 or similar chasis with maybe a 1000 gallons for a brush truck.

Those of you with high pressure pumps - any solutions for a remote mounted monitor for a high pressure pump?

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    I've had an inner or outer tire catch a rock, blow out and still drove out to the road for repair...

I'm not familiar with these types of single wheels, are they a drive flat style?

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    That's one hell of a rig, though I would have reservations about 500 gallons on a single wheel.

Leave a comment:

• rescueraver
    replied
    Here another single wheeled 550 with 500 gal

http://www.gfebrushtrucks.com/brush-truck-media.php

Leave a comment:

• N2DFire
    replied
    Aside from the Blanchat Mfg trucks that Mitchkrat posted a link to; I've always liked these as well.

http://firematic.com/brat.htm

Leave a comment:

• firefightinirish217
    replied
    I wouldn't go with anything less than a 1 ton SRW truck. I'd stick with the F-350, 3500 series trucks. AS far as a brand, that would be up to you guys. I'm biased towards Ford, mainly because they didn't ask for a handout, didn't go bankrupt, and are military friendly. But shop around.

Leave a comment:

• fireturk41
    replied
    just a suggestion, i work on trucks alot and have an offroad truck i play with as well as a dually to pull with, you may not be able to increase your turn radious by much but one thing that can help you out vastly off the pavement and not affect you much on the payment id looking into a electric or air locker for the rear differential, these are priceless when it comes to traction off the road but to switch back to the usual open differential when its time to go back home

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    Originally posted by wvfd322 View Post
    Hey all-

I have seen on here before when I was researching a pumper (of which you guys did a great job helping me with) that there was a discussion of Dually brush trucks V. SRW. We currently have a dually and are considering changing to a srw. does anyone have and do's or don't's about this? Our truck now is an 04' f-550 and its to heavy in most cases. To long in alot of cases, and to wide in some cases. Its manoverability is crappy. Please help me with any imput! Thanks! Pics would be helpful also.
    Here in NJ, we run both... although we are taking most of our SRW slip on units out of service (for various reasons).

Its a giant fleet of close to 90? of these type vi engines. Our terrain in NJ varies from hardwood to sandy pine barrens.

I have to say, there isn't much we can't get through.

http://www.njffsa3.org/apparatus

Leave a comment:

• rescueraver
    replied
    We have a F 550 crew cab "brush" truck it has very poor off road performace. It really is more of a mini pumper/ water supply piece then a brush truck. A one ton regular cab with a flat bed and singles will let you carry 250 gal and you get good general off road performance. You could use a UTV with 70- 100 gal. I have worked with a few UTV's and they can go places you cant take a one ton sized pick up. To really anwser your question, single's for a "real" brush truck, with duals you have to break a new path for the tires, stuff gets stuck in them like rocks and sticks. The militay has gone to singles on all thier trucks. The plus side of duals is better stability and you can cripple a dually home with a flat.
    Last edited by rescueraver; 12-06-2010, 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• simpleguy68
    replied
    Here's another link for single-rear wheeled trucks.

http://www.1stattack.com/brush-fire-...ss-fire-trucks

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    replied
    Originally posted by wvfd322 View Post
    Hey all-

I have seen on here before when I was researching a pumper (of which you guys did a great job helping me with) that there was a discussion of Dually brush trucks V. SRW. We currently have a dually and are considering changing to a srw. does anyone have and do's or don't's about this? Our truck now is an 04' f-550 and its to heavy in most cases. To long in alot of cases, and to wide in some cases. Its manoverability is crappy. Please help me with any imput! Thanks! Pics would be helpful also.
    I've got this one figured out. Get one lighter, shorter, and narrower with better maneuverability.

Your welcome.

Leave a comment:

• mitchkrat
    replied
    Good Link

Littlejoe - thanks for the link, always need more options.

We are in the Flint Hills with vast open pastures - 6 foot tall Bluestem grass. Their are still lots of ex-military 6x6's out here but depts are starting to replace with commercial 6x6's because of the cost of parts and restrictions that the FEP program puts on the trucks.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X