No announcement yet.

Rescue Strut Mounting Ideas ? ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toolboards work out pretty well for struts as long as you have the height needed. Our toolboard compartment on our new rescue engine holds what used to be in three compartments on the engine we replaced as well as a lot of other things.
    Attached Files

Comment

Foam inserts?

Not to hijack, but...

We're currently storing our Paratech struts in an under-body tray, but they're not mounted at all and so are subject to bouncing around. Does anybody know of a good source for the type of "foam inserts" that come in a sheet a few inches thick, and can be cut to accommodate whatever equipment you want to drop into it? Can't think of a better way to describe the stuff.

P.S. - Little Joe - awesome job on the equipment mounting. Did you guys do it yourselves?

Comment

LittleJoe,

Those are some impressive pictures of the tool boards. We are in the process of spec'ing out a rescue and have been trying to find good pics of how to have things mounted and such. It looks like you have everything worked out well on that rig. Who is the manufacturer of the truck, and does your fire department have a website so I can look at more pics of the truck? Thanks in advance...

Comment

Originally posted by volff1170 View Post
          LittleJoe,

Those are some impressive pictures of the tool boards. We are in the process of spec'ing out a rescue and have been trying to find good pics of how to have things mounted and such. It looks like you have everything worked out well on that rig. Who is the manufacturer of the truck, and does your fire department have a website so I can look at more pics of the truck? Thanks in advance...
          The truck was manufactured by 4-Guys in Meyersdale, PA. We have a website but detailed pictures of compartments are not up yet. PM me your E-mail address and I will send you a link to Snapfish where I have pics up.

Originally posted by BlitzfireSolo View Post
          Not to hijack, but...

We're currently storing our Paratech struts in an under-body tray, but they're not mounted at all and so are subject to bouncing around. Does anybody know of a good source for the type of "foam inserts" that come in a sheet a few inches thick, and can be cut to accommodate whatever equipment you want to drop into it? Can't think of a better way to describe the stuff.

P.S. - Little Joe - awesome job on the equipment mounting. Did you guys do it yourselves?
          Thanks Blitzfire. You and I have conversed over E-mail, but I can't remember your address.

I think struts and jacks are ideal in underbody trays. I would suggest you get some sort of "cradle" make out of HD plastic made so the strut rests in it but is only secured with gravity.

We did a lot of the mounting ourselves but had 4-Guys do some also. We had ordered our pickets from a tent company and had them shipped directly to Meyersdale. They made the mount to hold them. Our Hi-Lift Jacks we had mounted, but they have since been modified to be a "mirror image" of each other to gain the space between them. This allowed us to mount a 1.5 ton floor jack on the board.

The tripod lights were mounted as well as the AMKUS rams.

The hardest toolboard to design was the one for our rams and struts. We knew we wanted them mounted vertically, but we also needed a poly bin to hold tips and straps which had to be able to be slid out from the front.

We decided to mount the rams on the boards and not with the other tools as they are not used as much and PAC had a nice mount for the bases. This toolboard was also moved to the far right position at 4-Guys in order to give us a void under the AMKUS handles where you can reach in and move the handle for our stay dry handle - the chute goes down between the compartments (notice the little extra body width?) and discharges under the body.

The struts are held using Paratech clips and PAC sells the aluminum "Z" which is perfect for holding the bases. These are mounted at an angle to prevent the bases from sliding into the roll-up door. Since this time we have purchased 6"X6" bases for use on asphalt and keep them in the poly bin.

We need to purchase some Jeep rollbar handles to put on the struts to aid in carrying them. The 12"X12" bases are for soft dirt and ironically the 1" pickets fit perfectly through the 1-1/16" holes in the bases.

Comment

Not to hijack, but...

BlitzfireSolo

When researching mountings for our Struts I came across this company which can pretty much fabricate anything you want out of poly.

Plastix Plus
            http://www.pptexas.com/

These are some custom trays they did for Dallas FD for their Paratech Struts
            http://67.99.203.142/mm5/gallery5.html

Comment

Plastix Plus is awesome! I have had many custom mounts made there including one for our AMKUS Rope Rescue Device. Highly recommended.

I would make a cardboard template of what you want or if you have drafting or CAD skills send them what you want made. I drew up something to scale and E-mailed it to them and it came back perfect.

Comment

Not to hijack, but...

This is the stuff I used.
                http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...oductId=300993

Farmtek is located nearby and have a warehouse store so could pickup odds and ends to fit compartments very cheap. Worked great as pads/protects yet also allows drainage, ventilation/drying.

Turtle tile is around $5/ft2 I think.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X