Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2ivswo
    replied
    Nice edge protection on the rear of your cab there Rescue101.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Here's ours
    Last edited by Rescue101; 02-19-2011, 04:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by HuntPA View Post
    My biggest issues with the lights that were posted are the colors. Almost half of my deparmtent is color blind (most are related). If the lights do not all stay on, it will look to them like it is at 1/4 all of the time. We use the simple red led gage like you can order through Darley.

Sorry, I tried to add the picture, but the file is too large.

My other issue is with these lights operating while the vehicle is in motion. The large lights like the ones shown may be in violation of vehicle codes. We actually have a county department that got a warning for this and had to get the parking break switch added.
    I've got colorblind folks too. No issues, if all the lights are lit you're full. If only the bottom is lit or flashing you are EMPTY, same deal as colorblind folk driving. Bottom traffic light is GO. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 11-21-2010, 08:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    replied
    Originally posted by laddertruckgoes View Post
    Our new rig has the tank lights on the cab behind the crew cab doors. We chose 500 Whelen LED's.......
    Wow!!!! Now that's precision! For us that would be (1) led light per gallon.

In all seriousness, I can the the practicality of this in rural, volunteer or under-staffed departments where the Driver may have to leave the immediate are of the pumper in order to assist with other tasks.

In the bustling metropolis however, it is nothing more than an idea that has bee successfully marketed due to the "neat" factor. In this environment, it is a $2000 dollar option that I would rather keep for something else that served a better function.

Leave a comment:

• ejfeicht
    replied
    We have the Whelen PSTank lights on each side of the cab and the FRC TankVision on the Operator's Panel. We also have an FRC TankVision Class A Foam on the Operator's Panel. The PSTank lights are only activated when the maxibrake is set and the FRCs on the Operator's Panel come on with the battery master switch. The colors on the PSTank lights tend to blend together in bright sunlight depending on what angle you are viewing them from.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 93Cobra
    replied
    We have the Whelen PSTANK lights on the side of the cab - behind rear crew doors, and at the top of the cab:

These were originally wired in to be on all the time. This was a mistake made by us spec'ing it that way. The only positive is that they are so bright that they work nearly as scene lights at night. However, lately I have noticed that traffic is stopping or pulling over for me as they think my tank level lights are warning lights. I will have to fix these lights so that they are tied into the air brake rather than staying on all of the time.

Leave a comment:

• HuntPA
    replied
    My biggest issues with the lights that were posted are the colors. Almost half of my deparmtent is color blind (most are related). If the lights do not all stay on, it will look to them like it is at 1/4 all of the time. We use the simple red led gage like you can order through Darley.

Sorry, I tried to add the picture, but the file is too large.

My other issue is with these lights operating while the vehicle is in motion. The large lights like the ones shown may be in violation of vehicle codes. We actually have a county department that got a warning for this and had to get the parking break switch added.

Leave a comment:

• RoaddoggAK
    replied
    Originally posted by txgp17 View Post
    No one in my county has had their apparatus rear-ended either, but we're still getting chevron patterns.
    And when the NFPA police begin to tell us what style of pump control we can or cannot use, then we've really jumped the shark. If it was really a problem, the they would have over regulated it by now.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. I'm simply saying that we see a lot more snow than most of the country and do not have many issues with slips and falls from the top mount. I like the ability to not have to run around the truck to get to either side and also the fact that I don't have the possibility to "ride" LDH when I'm pumping.

Leave a comment:

• txgp17
    replied
    Originally posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
    Nearly half of the departments in Erie County have top mount pumpers, and I have never heard of somebody slipping or falling of of the apparatus.
    No one in my county has had their apparatus rear-ended either, but we're still getting chevron patterns.

Leave a comment:

• FIREMECH1
    replied
    Deleted............
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 10-22-2010, 01:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Originally posted by txgp17 View Post
    Amen.
    Top mounts never made any sense to me. Add 3' to the wheelbase and increase the chances of falls, all in one swoop.
    That's nice.

However, this isn't a top mount versus side mount debate. Those of us who like them and continue to buy them like them. Others don't. They can keep buying side mounts.

For the record, these lights have thier place on either pump configuration.

Leave a comment:

• txgp17
    replied
    Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    So would side mount pumps!
    Amen.
    Top mounts never made any sense to me. Add 3' to the wheelbase and increase the chances of falls, all in one swoop.

Leave a comment:

• Weruj1
    replied
    Ours is like this :
    When full ALL lights are on
    Green-full
    Blue- 3/4 tank-green light out
    Amber-1/2 tank-blue light out
    Red-1/4 tank only light on and as it runs out the red flashes.............there is also a more detailed gage on the pump panel for the operator.

Leave a comment:

• ATFDFF
    replied
    Quick Question...I've seen two different set ups for these. Let's say it's Green (full), Blue (3/4), yellow (2/4), orange (1/4), and Red (empty). Now, for some i've seen where it's full ALL the lights are on, and in some other only the Green one would be on. Or if it's half full, Red, orange, and yellow ones would be on...or just the yellow. Which do you use and why?

Leave a comment:

• Weruj1
    replied
    we used the Whelen PSTANK gauges ............some people ask us about them .....but 2 things are for sure..............1 you can see them 2 very handy to see how much water ya got left !

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X