X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RoofTopTrucky
    replied
    Originally posted by ffp20 View Post
    wasnt there a sutphen somewhere that fell over on top of a fire station???

What other aerials did you research (if you researched others)? smeal, pierce, lti, metz, rk, seagrave, crimson, etc?

Didnt research Metz or RK for one reason or another, as far as Smeal, found a Ferrarah that failed (smeal built aerial). But, with all "dual built" trucks they blamed each other as to who was at fault, but neither would get into what happened and why. From what we could figure it was a hydraulic failure of some sort. They both did tell us no one was injured

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    And that is my only complaint on the Smeal rigs. I have to have a second guy on the ground to override the interlocks, while in the shop. PITA sometimes.

FM1
    Justifies extra help,hehe T.C.

Leave a comment:

• RFDACM02
    replied
    And that is my only complaint on the Smeal rigs. I have to have a second guy on the ground to override the interlocks, while in the shop. PITA sometimes.

FM1
    It's the same on our ALF/LTI tower. While there's no accidental overrides, when things go too hell, it'll be the same time we have the least personnel to spare. At the onset, a turntable operator is a luxury and finding a second member after a fashion is not going to be easy. I'd prefer a key switch or some other positive mechanism that required specific intervention, though I suspect there are those who'd override the override all the time, just cause.

Leave a comment:

• FIREMECH1
    replied
    Originally posted by Rescue101
    True dat. But in the case of our Smeal,it takes TWO to do. In other words ONE guy alone isn't going to wreck the truck. There are EXCEPTIONS,of course. T.c.

FM1

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    I certainly didn't say the controls were any better, but wonder how it is that they've not had an aerial touching the ground. The "engineering" may or may not be the factor? Maybe you can explain the difference between E-One and the others? No one ever stated that no injuries have occurred on E-One apparatus, merely just pointing out he aerial/ground contact issue.
    Maybe their TRAINING program is better,hehe T.C.

Leave a comment:

• RFDACM02
    replied
    Originally posted by pfdlt41 View Post
    The other post was stating that Eones controls where better then all others while these weren't direct issues with Eone my point was in many cases niether where the other insidents involving many other manufacturers mentioned here. I ment no disrespect at all. As for the RI incident that to my knowledge the cause has not been published.
    I certainly didn't say the controls were any better, but wonder how it is that they've not had an aerial touching the ground. The "engineering" may or may not be the factor? Maybe you can explain the difference between E-One and the others? No one ever stated that no injuries have occurred on E-One apparatus, merely just pointing out he aerial/ground contact issue.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by JMac73 View Post
    Even on new Truck you can override an interlock.
    True dat. But in the case of our Smeal,it takes TWO to do. In other words ONE guy alone isn't going to wreck the truck. There are EXCEPTIONS,of course. T.c.

Leave a comment:

• JMac73
    replied
    Originally posted by ffp20 View Post
    How old was that truck? old enough to not have interlocks that prevent rotation without stabilizers set?

I worked on a a platform from the same manufacturer where those pesky microswitches always seemed to act up at the most inopportune time. Every day during the equip checks a guy would go around the unit and flip the arms of the switches to make sure they operated freely. if we had that unit long enough, im sure someone would have figured out how to get around them. No, not me.
    Even on new Truck you can override an interlock.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    The other post was stating that Eones controls where better then all others while these weren't direct issues with Eone my point was in many cases niether where the other insidents involving many other manufacturers mentioned here. I ment no disrespect at all. As for the RI incident that to my knowledge the cause has not been published.
    IIRC the RI incident was caused by operation in EXTREMELY tight quarters. ANYONES hydraulics can be problematic if you don't know how they work and practice with them regularly.Todays Aerials are VERY powerful machines that hurt you in a heartbeat if you don't respect their power. T.C.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    No disrespect to Brothers LePage, Perkins, and Galloway, but how the does fact that they were on/in an E-One contribute to their deaths?
    It DOESN'T. A BAD tactical decision that got compounded by product unfamiliarity. Could have been avoided but unfortunately.........wasn't. T.c.

Leave a comment:

• pfdlt41
    replied
    That is BS putting E-One as the fault of the 3 LODD's. Operator/operational error were the causes of those deaths. Throwing E-One under the bus is inaccurate and irresponsible.

FM1

Leave a comment:

• FIREMECH1
    replied
    Originally posted by pfdlt41
    They may not have hit the ground but lets not forgot the 2 LODD's in Texas and 1 LODD in RI while operating an Eone in the last 2 years.
    That is BS putting E-One as the fault of the 3 LODD's. Operator/operational error were the causes of those deaths. Throwing E-One under the bus is inaccurate and irresponsible.

FM1

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    They maynot have hit the ground but lets not forgot the 2 LODD's in Texas and 1 LODD in RI while operating an Eone in the last 2 years.
    No disrespect to Brothers LePage, Perkins, and Galloway, but how the does fact that they were on/in an E-One contribute to their deaths?

Leave a comment:

• pfdlt41
    replied
    Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Like I said, while you cannot fault the manufacturer for operator error, one must ask why you can't find an E-One on the ground for any reason? No this isn't a challenge to go dump an E-One on it's side, but it seems particularly interesting that we've not run across a single one touching the ground, regardless of fault? Again, have they always engineered better controls into their work?

Come on, someone must know of one out there? If not, I'd say the bar is set pretty high...
    They maynot have hit the ground but lets not forgot the 2 LODD's in Texas and 1 LODD in RI while operating an Eone in the last 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by firepundit View Post
    Well, I was close at least.

So, it isn't just me. I thought the first PAL I got ahold of ran all 3 functions simultaneously and feathered like a dream. It didn't "feel" like anything else at the time. I also remember that feeling with Smeals when they came out on their own. But now everything is electric/hydraulic and mostly feel the same.
    We've got "fast idle" on ours. Ladder speed doesn't change much if it's fast idle or dead idle. Three functions at once,no problem. AND being built by Nebraska corn farmers you can ACTUALLY fix something without a bunch of special tools. Being a mechanic by trade,I appreciate that. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-21-2010, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X