Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireCoordinator
    replied
    My Department just put a new 2011 F550 4x4 with the 6.7 diesel on line. It is a light rescue with 300 gallons of water. This truck has tons of power but maxes out at about 85mph on the interstate. Guess you really don't need to drive any faster anyway. We have not had any issues with it so far.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Well, it's all well and fine to get all excited about a modified IscrewsU but WHAT are you going to put it in? GM isn't producing anything heavier than a 30/3500(1 ton). Which leaves you with junk,junk,and more junk. We don't run bone boxes so it won't affect my decisions any. T.C.

Leave a comment:

• k1500chevy97
    replied
    The 6.7 is still unproven. After Fords mess with the highly unreliable piles of garbage 6.0 and 6.4 we are going to wait at least 2 years until we even think about going back to a ford diesel. We still run the ford gassers with huge success and the duramax engines with 0 issues.

Leave a comment:

• txgp17
    replied
    Personally, I wouldn't get anything in it's first year. I've looked over the details of the new Scorpion engine, and it is insanely complicated. It has two independent cooling systems, reverse flow coolant, etc, etc.

If I was searching for a Ambulance chassis for this model year, I'd lean towards a Ford F-650/750 with a Cummins B series engine mated to an Allison automatic, a combination with a proven track record of success.

If that's too big, I'd look to GM's Duramax.

Leave a comment:

• fatman22
    replied
    Originally posted by eagle5473 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vedAc-nVDOY

The 6.7 with 400hp and 800lbs of torque is the best bet for fire service
    NICE!!! It's so nice to see folks that are thankful for the emergency personnel in their city/town. Thats a super nice truck for a very deserving crew!! Congratulations Eagle 5473!!!

Leave a comment:

• eagle5473
    replied
    Originally posted by fatman22 View Post
    How did you get lucky enough to have one donated to you?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vedAc-nVDOY

The 6.7 with 400hp and 800lbs of torque is the best bet for fire service
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• fatman22
    replied
    Originally posted by eagle5473 View Post
    We just had a 2011 F350 with the 6.7 Donated to us :-)

No problems so far... I can tell you that with 400hp and 850 lbs of torq this thing flies (empty). The 450 ann 550 will have the same 6.7
    How did you get lucky enough to have one donated to you?

Leave a comment:

• mitchkrat
    replied
    Rescue

We are currenlty looking at building a rescue with a 10' box, no water with the 550 4x4 crew cab with the V10 gas. We are fairly flat (Kansas) - sounds like the biggest issue will be the lack of low end torque?

Leave a comment:

• ctxffman
    replied
    From the Ford Commercial Truck website:
    F550 Chassis Cabs
    6.7 L V-8 Diesel
    6.8 L V-8 Gas

F450 adds the 6.2 L V-8 to the mix.
    F350 offers 6.2 L V-8 and 6.7 L Diesel.

The F450 CrewCab non-commercial truck offers only the Diesel. i.e. Crew Cab Dually Lariat with bed.

Leave a comment:

• Ledebuhr1
    replied
    I dident think you could get the f550 with the gas engine. Something that heavy needs the diesel. Remember the diesel has WAY more torque, its rated at 800ftlbs.

Leave a comment:

• RoaddoggAK
    replied
    Is that the 6.2 V8 or the 6.8 V10?

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Should have gotten a diesel...
    Although we did consider diesel during the early portion of the process, we evaluated the 7 brush trucks and 3 mini-pumpers we were using at the time, which are a mixture of gas and diesel, and decided that gas was best for our application. We didn't want the extra front end weight, additional price tag, two separate fuels on the vehicle, nor the worry about emissions standards.

When you're talking about about 2 brush trucks that will do less than 50 calls a year (each) across relatively flat response districts, there's no regret in getting gas. Our trip back home yesterday was from the manufacturer's plant, which is in the mountains, and the lack of low end power I found on those grades in no way mimics our jurisdiction at all.

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Should have gotten a diesel...

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Drove the 2011 F550 gas motor back to work from the manufacturer today. With the body, tank, and pump on it, I was pretty disappointed with the low end (like the above poster said). I've never been a Ford guy, so I might be a little biased, but I have more faith in some of the early 00's Fords we have.

Leave a comment:

• rvfd1145
    replied
    We just bought a 2011 F-350 4x4 for our light Rescue. Gasoline engine. Runs good. But nothing to brag about as far as get up and go. Looks good in red and black trim. Baker utility bed. stainless steel running boards. Nice truck overall, but needs more oommph.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X