Snorkel - Who is still using them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by npfd801 View Post
    Front mount pumps. I believe Waterous discontinued theirs.
    I hope not! We still need those in some places.

Comment

Originally posted by rmcatee1 View Post

I'm thinking that these vehicles that we still see in service are the last of the breed. I did find them interesting and useful for their time. But they will be history in the very near future. Much like the steamers.

What do you think?
      With luck, lack of parts and lack of support from ALF, these useless dinosaurs will finally die off.
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Indeed they will die off. To further clarify with ALF, I asked once again IF the Chicago Snorkels were the last one's built. The email below confirms this:

Rob,

The three Chicago units were the last of the Snorkel units built. Telesqurt and Squrt products are still manufactured to this day.

Thanks
        Scott D. Hackman
        Design Engineer
        American LaFrance LLC.
        [email protected]
        Phone: (717) 859-7321

Comment

our snorkel is still in use

edit..... thats me on the right in the top photo.....we took the snorkel out to attend a firemans festival and won 1st place for best kept and outfitted snorkel in the show
          Attached Files
          Last edited by nrembis; 10-03-2010, 07:15 PM.

Comment

edit..... thats me on the right in the top photo.....we took the snorkel out to attend a firemans festival and won 1st place for best kept and outfitted snorkel in the show

Tell me a little about your preconnects.

Are your a rural, suburban or urban area?

Reason I ask is my rural VFD has and E-One Hush they recently bought from Huntington Beach, CA.

It has 4 mattydales over the pump - 2 live and 2 deadloads. It also has 2 pre-connect bumper lines which we currently have a 100' 1.75" trash line and a 200' 1.75" car fire line, primarily for interstate operations.

We are debating how to utilize the mattydales.

Anyone else feel free to chime in.

Note: We have a handful of commercial structures. majority of the homes are single familiy ranch and mobile home with some setback issues.
            Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator;

They are used by aggressive firefighters for rapid deployment in order to gain tactical advantages during interior firefighting operations, nothing that you would be interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post

Reason I ask is my rural VFD has and E-One Hush they recently bought from Huntington Beach, CA.

It has 4 mattydales over the pump - 2 live and 2 deadloads. It also has 2 pre-connect bumper lines which we currently have a 100' 1.75" trash line and a 200' 1.75" car fire line, primarily for interstate operations.

Note: We have a handful of commercial structures. majority of the homes are single familiy ranch and mobile home with some setback issues.
                Ummn,To FIGHT the fire? They're a HOSE LOAD mounted transversely. Depending on configuration there are ENDLESS possibilities. All of ours are 200' triples but you can set them up any number of ways. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post

Our dept is a rural dept, we respond to approx 300 fire and 1100 ems runs per year...

For in village fires, snorkel is our first out truck, then engine, outside village the engine goes first......

our snorkel as with most im sure have small tanks, ours is around 300gallons, so unless you have a hydrant to hook to or a tanker right on your *** your gonna run out of water in a hurry.

to answer your question on the crosslays, all 4 of ours are live and connected at top with nozzles already to go.

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                    They are used by aggressive firefighters for rapid deployment in order to gain tactical advantages during interior firefighting operations, nothing that you would be interested in.
                    Someone's home from vacation...
                    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Speaking of Chicago's Snokels - they are selling theirs, the one on the Spartan Chassis... 2 days left on the auction and it's $102.00!

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auc...iew?auc=486600

Comment

AND.........RESTED UP,Hehe T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by npfd801 View Post
                          Someone's home from vacation...
                          Actually, as I type this, I am sitting at breakfast in O'Hana inside the Polynesian resort, waiting for the food. The views of space mountain and the magic kingdom are incredible. We leave for the airport around 1330 today. I can't stand it when a coward thinks he is covering cowardice by asking intelligent questions.

Comment

How much money did the mouse take out of your pocket? I'm still paying for my trip there.

Comment

Originally posted by lexfd5 View Post
                              How much money did the mouse take out of your pocket? I'm still paying for my trip there.
                              Ummmm, Yes!!!!

This was an expensive one, as we were/are (I am typing this in the cafe of the All-Star Movies resort, while waiting for our 1330 Magical Express bus to the airport) here for 9 days, plus we flew this time instead of driving. Have to give credit where it is due- the wife knows how to beat up Walt's trip advisors/reservation folks pretty badly. She knows many ins and outs about booking trips here, and knows a lot of good websites where they teach you how not to get raped too badly by Walt and the mouse. We stay in the All-Star resorts (aka the "ghetto resorts) because we don't spend much time in our room... Were out there doing it!!! One more credit to SWMBO: she worked boo koo overtime so that we could pay CASH for the trip.

Comment

Memphis still has two in front line service as heavy rescue companies, one reserve heavy rescue / snorkel, and one longer snorkel that was recently taken out of front line service as a truck company.

Res2cue

Old Res3cue

FTM-PTB

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse