Snorkel - Who is still using them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bronto

GTRider245 that is a Bronto not a Snorkel.

Comment

Originally posted by tomwnh View Post
      GTRider245 that is a Bronto not a Snorkel.
      Indeed, if we're expanding into all articulating aerials, I'm betting we can add hundreds to the list.

Comment

Not that I'm not interested in the articulating aerials, but I'm more interested in the Snorkel product.

Back when I was still selling apparatus, I had a customer who was interested in a refurb. Because of a possible lack of parts and qualified people to service the device, it limited the life span of the unit. So, the customer opted not to do it.

I'm thinking that these vehicles that we still see in service are the last of the breed. I did find them interesting and useful for their time. But they will be history in the very near future. Much like the steamers.

What do you think?

Comment

I think Philly still has two on KME chassis.

Comment

Indeed it is, good catch.
            Career Firefighter
            Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
            I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
              Indeed it is, good catch.
              Slippage,hehe T.C.

Comment

Here is Lawrence, MA's Snorkel off of firenews.org

Comment

Originally posted by rmcatee1 View Post
                  Not that I'm not interested in the articulating aerials, but I'm more interested in the Snorkel product.

Back when I was still selling apparatus, I had a customer who was interested in a refurb. Because of a possible lack of parts and qualified people to service the device, it limited the life span of the unit. So, the customer opted not to do it.

I'm thinking that these vehicles that we still see in service are the last of the breed. I did find them interesting and useful for their time. But they will be history in the very near future. Much like the steamers.

What do you think?
                  I think Rob is right. The problem with the Snorkel line in my opinion is that to re-engineer them to keep up with current competition and standards, for how few are sold, would never make sense financially.
                  "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

When you at the two pictures it's obvious why the Snorkle product is fading away.
                    A 100' Bronto that is considerably shorter in road mode than an 85' Snorkle.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I sent a message to ALF asking when the last unit was built and where it went. This is the response I got:

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 11:30 PM
                      To: Customer Support
                      Subject: Question about the snorkel

Hello,

I have a question about the snorkel. When was the last unit built and which department purchased it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Hi Rob,

There were three 55’ Snorkels built for Chicago IL roughly 10 years ago. I believe these units are still in-service today.

Thanks

Scott D. Hackman

Design Engineer

American LaFrance LLC.

[email protected]

Phone: (717) 859-7321

Comment

Minden, LA is still running a snorkel mounted on a Mack CF chassis.

I've been told it's been in service since the early 80's.
                        Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Thank you

To all that responded to my post, thank you! I really do think that we are seeing the end of the Snorkel. Although I will miss her, I do think the fire service is better off. As Joel stated, financially, it just doesn't make sense to do anything more with the concept.

So, my next question: What's next to go?

Comment

The multi-stage pump (except in areas that serve high-rises).

C6

Comment

Front mount pumps. I believe Waterous discontinued theirs.
                              "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Seagrave Snorkel

The city of South Amboy, New Jersey has a 1990 Seagrave 85' Snorkel with a 1250gpm pump.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X