New truck spec's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New truck spec's

Hello, I am a firefighter/EMT at a small department, we are a combination department. We run approx. 750 calls a year. We have a 24 hour station and an 8 hour day station. This gives us 10 full-time firefighters, not counting chief and asst. chief. And we have 10 or so volunteers. We are currently looking at putting a new truck out to bid to replace our 1996 custom smeal. It has been a good truck, however we want to make sure we do the next one right and not just of the fly buy the cheapest truck out there. To do this we have a truck commitee in which I am on. putting the specs together we have hit a block several want a federal Q. I am in favor and with others pushing for. I need help on finding material on the benifits of a federal Q. All the big cities around us them and the clear the intersections with greater ease than a electric siren. Several of the firefighters are concerned that a federal Q pulls to much amp's and is going to run and kill the electrical system. How do professionaly show the benifits and educate oneself on this subject? Any help would be much appreaciated.

Originally posted by llieutard View Post
    Hello, I am a firefighter/EMT at a small department, we are a combination department. We run approx. 750 calls a year. We have a 24 hour station and an 8 hour day station. This gives us 10 full-time firefighters, not counting chief and asst. chief. And we have 10 or so volunteers. We are currently looking at putting a new truck out to bid to replace our 1996 custom smeal. It has been a good truck, however we want to make sure we do the next one right and not just of the fly buy the cheapest truck out there. To do this we have a truck commitee in which I am on. putting the specs together we have hit a block several want a federal Q. I am in favor and with others pushing for. I need help on finding material on the benifits of a federal Q. All the big cities around us them and the clear the intersections with greater ease than a electric siren. Several of the firefighters are concerned that a federal Q pulls to much amp's and is going to run and kill the electrical system. How do professionaly show the benifits and educate oneself on this subject? Any help would be much appreaciated.
    Do a search on the forums and you will probably find lots of info for your questions.

As for a Federal Model Q, they do have a serious amp draw, but the new NFPA 1901 standards pretty much make sure you are getting enough alternator to deal with the intended load you are specifiying. With enough Group 31 (If I remember correct) batteries and a big alternator you can get (2) Q's if you wanted. (Some have.... )

Make sure the committee has a list of what you must have, want and would be nice.

Have fun...

Comment

Blasphemy about to be written:

Or you can simply get an eQ2b. The sound is very similar, in my opinion anyways, the amperage draw is way less, and you can do more than have the standard one siren sound.

We have one on our newest engine and no one has said a bad word about it.

I am fully aware that the purists will pound me for such comments. Fire away.
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Q2b, does the b stand for "buff" for "buff siren"?

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
          Blasphemy about to be written:

Or you can simply get an eQ2b. The sound is very similar, in my opinion anyways, the amperage draw is way less, and you can do more than have the standard one siren sound.

We have one on our newest engine and no one has said a bad word about it.

I am fully aware that the purists will pound me for such comments. Fire away.
          'Cept it sounds like you are trying to strangle a cat when you use the siren brake. I'd have rather gotten a Carson, etc and saved the $2000+ we spent on the eQ and put it towards other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ffp20 View Post
            Q2b, does the b stand for "buff" for "buff siren"?
            Q2b. You got Top Shelf and you got B's(bottom shelf).To run a Q2 I recommend at LEAT a 320 amp alternator and six(6) group 31 batteries. Use a little discretion using the Q(keep it rolling and don't peak it ALL the time,you'll have no issues. We've been running them since 1972 and they are STANDAD spec on our apparatus. NOTHING else clears traffic like a Q and that is the way it is. The EQ2b is close but no weeyo. You REALLY wanna wake 'em up add a Powercall in with the Q2. T.C.
            Last edited by Rescue101; 09-24-2010, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Most of the new deliveries come thru with LED warning lights in place of incandescent, halogen and motorized warning lights..etc. All used to be big amp draw items. As mentioned before, make sure you spec and get the upgraded battery package.

Comment

The Q or QB is a mechinical siren.

The E-Q2B is the electronic version of the Q

See below......

http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/...2B%20Siren.pdf

http://www.cellsea.com/ringtone/deta...8244218646.htm

http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/...-Q2B_Siren.pdf
                Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Ya missed the 2 in there COT. The Q or the Q2B. the E-q is ELECTRONIC not a wind up. T.c.

Comment

The Q is a very beneficial tool - well worth the expense.
                    If you are having Sutphen bid it, they can put it in the grille nicely too

Comment

The "B" in the part number stands for brake. The brake is an option.

The Q2B draws approximately 100 amps. 270 amp alternators are available on most commercial chassis. Customs offer much more.

Since the siren will not be running full time, a single 270 amp alternator should be sufficient. If you cannot get at least that big of an alternator due to an off brand chassis then additional battery reserve can make up for it.

I have seen Q's on the old F800 and F8000 chassis with no more than a 190 amp alternator but four group 31 batteries and they never had a problem caused by the siren. (Take away the two additional batteries and the sucker probably would have killed the engine.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                        Ya missed the 2 in there COT. The Q or the Q2B. the E-q is ELECTRONIC not a wind up. T.c.

Look at the links I provided.

One is for a Q2B - the other is for a EQ2B

Yes the B does stand for Brake.
                        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Brake? We don't need no stinking brake,hehe T.C.

Comment

Brake? We don't need no stinking brake,hehe T.C.
                            They certainly do take away the fun of the wind down. A well broken in Q2 can take several minutes to wind down and I can listen to it to the very end. On older trucks a well worn Q will start to howl at 45 mph. I love the low growl.

It's only anecdotal, not scientific, but every firefighter I know on a department, with units Q equipped and not Q equipped, says a real Q is the best weapon in the arsenal.

To me, I always know its a fire vehicle when I hear the Q. Police cars haven't run mechanical sirens since the 1960's (and they were lower power whiney little things). And, most of the areas I have lived in have not had Q equipped meat wagons. The sound of the Q means fire apparatus to me.

Q sirens.

Red trucks.

Black hat. (Sorry, officers.)

Comment

NOTHING else clears traffic like a Q and that is the way it is. The EQ2b is close but no weeyo. You REALLY wanna wake 'em up add a Powercall in with the Q2. T.C.
                              And that's about all there is to it. AMEN.

The Q is the only real fire apparatus siren, the rest are for medic rigs and blue canaries.
                              Just a guy...

Lieutenant - Woodbury, MN FD (Retired)
                              Road Captain - Red Knights MC, MN4

Disclaimer: The facts and opinions expressed above are mine, and mine alone, and are not intended to represent the views of any company I have ever worked for, past or present.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X