No announcement yet.

Calling all fire buffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well.....since he has no e-mail here we go with more pics.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

More of E-142.

Happy now Chenzo ya freaking nit picker!
      Last edited by FyredUp; 09-19-2010, 10:43 PM.
      Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
        More of E-141
        Ermmm.... This is no Mack CF............................ Therefore, it CAN'T be more of E-141

She is a nice looking rig though.
        "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
          Not sure if you are referring to the link I posted... but.

It's a lower hosebed then 56, but those aren't full depth compartments.
          ChiefKN,

I was referring to a Co. near gwp026. Thanks for the info anyways. Sorry for the confusion

Comment

More of E-142.
            Definately 15 lbs in a 5 lb sack.

Comment

Originally posted by gwp026 View Post
              Thank you all so far. Perhaps I need to elaborate. The primary function here is engine company duties. We already have a light rescue/mini pumper that is primary for vehicle rescues & related incidents. This pumper will respond secondary to rescues, mvc's, etc. Currently we are carrying 1500' 5" LDH, about 400' 3" & 400' 1 3/4" (in the bed). This works for our needs. I am a little familiar with the "L" or "T" tank idea & feel that is probably the only way to accomplish our requirements.
              The hose you have specified will require approx. 81 cubic feet of space with an approx. weight of 2171 pounds. 1000 gallons of water will require approx. 133.6 cubic feet and weigh about 8345 pounds, not including tank.

Frame rails on class 8 chassis generally run about 38" high. Add 2" for a tank cradle and you will be starting about 40" from the ground before you have added anything.

Since you want full depth (24") compartments the area you can use for storage of water and hose will be 48" wide on a 96" wide body (max. legal width on most roads.) The water tank will only be about 46" wide for clearance.

With a 10' body (doesn't include pump compt.) and 1" clearance your water tank will be 118" long x 46" wide,will contain about 23.5 gallons per inch of height and would end up being 42.5" tall (Actually more since I have not allowed for material thickness or baffles). Already, the top of the tank is 82.5" from the ground and you don't even have hosebed decking. Since the hose can be stored in the full width between the side compartments the hose load will be about 3.33 cubic feet per inch of height thus, about 24" in height. for an estimated total of 106.5".

That is the basic process for the calculations. You can probably handle the rest but here are the estimated gallon and cubic feet per inch height figures:

12' long body Water 28.28 gal/in. Hose 4.0 cu.ft./in.
              14' long body Water 33.06 gal/in. Hose 4.67 cu.ft./in.

Bear in mind that these are simple estimates. Many things can change these numbers. Examples that could raise the height are: Ladders stored in tank pass through, discharge w/tank pass through, rear suction, special depth rear compartment.

Comment

Hey Fyred,

It seems that worrying about mounting tools in a more accessible location should be a moot point when it appears you have a step ladder strapped to your roof ladder. Never know when you may have to throw it in a hurry...

And I couldnt tell from the pics, but does that truck have traditional crosslays in addition to the bumper lines? Only reason I ask is becuase in my (limited) expirience with rubber hose, it sucks interior.

I am a huge fan of the Ahrens-Fox body. I share as much distaste for a HME cab. We have one HME/A-F truck in our fleet and the cab is cheaply built while the body is top notch. Just preference I guess. Oh and PowerArc warning lights...I wont even go there. I would rather just turn on the 4 way flashers.

Good looking truck though.
                Career Firefighter
                Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by donethat View Post
                  Definately 15 lbs in a 5 lb sack.
                  Seriously, what the heck are you talking about?
                  Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                    Hey Fyred,

It seems that worrying about mounting tools in a more accessible location should be a moot point when it appears you have a step ladder strapped to your roof ladder. Never know when you may have to throw it in a hurry...

I don't agree with the step ladder being there and will move to have that changed very soon.

And I couldnt tell from the pics, but does that truck have traditional crosslays in addition to the bumper lines? Only reason I ask is becuase in my (limited) expirience with rubber hose, it sucks interior.

Traditional crosslays? If by that you mean cloth jacketed, no it doesn't. It does have 2-300 foot 2 inch crosslays made of rubber. We have been using rubber hose now for over 10 years and have had no complaints or problems moving it. The biggest reasons we have it are no need for thousands of feet of spare hose, and rapid reload so guys can go back to work.

I am a huge fan of the Ahrens-Fox body. I share as much distaste for a HME cab. We have one HME/A-F truck in our fleet and the cab is cheaply built while the body is top notch. Just preference I guess. Oh and PowerArc warning lights...I wont even go there. I would rather just turn on the 4 way flashers.

Different strokes I guess. We love the rig. It is smooth and comfortable to ride in. Has a great turning radius. Heats and cools well. Great visibility and plenty of room inside.

As far as the Power Arcs go we have not had a single problem with them. We were skeptical at first and talked to the President of the company and he sent us a complete replacement unit to have in stock free of charge to calm our fears. The Power Arcs are very bright and eye catching. We like them very much.

Good looking truck though.

Thanks. We get compliments on it all the time. makes us proud.
                    Most of all, it does everything we designed it to do...so far anyways.
                    Maybe it's not too late

Comment

15 lbs in a 5 lb sack

Seriously, what the heck are you talking about?
                      Nothing derogatory. You have a lot of equipment stored in a relativly small space. Means good packaging! Like me packing the car for a trip verses my wife. I can always get two more suit cases in than she can.

Comment

Originally posted by donethat View Post
                        Nothing derogatory. You have a lot of equipment stored in a relativly small space. Means good packaging! Like me packing the car for a trip verses my wife. I can always get two more suit cases in than she can.
                        Ok, I understand.
                        Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by gwp026 View Post
                          I am doing some research for a new rescue engine (squad, pumper rescue,etc). I am looking for any fairly recent deliveries ('09 or newer) where the rig has both a 1000 gallon water tank, full heights compartments at least on one side & a low-style hose bed. I appreciate any help here.
                          Back to your original request. i'd be interested to hear if you get any pics or specs for an engine meeting both the tank capacity and low hose bed. As I stated before, we tried and found that in the end a compromise has to be reached or you need a very long body. I've seen many posts here that address two of the three criteria, of which should be simple, it's that third leg of the triangle that seems so hard to build.

Comment

http://www.ferrarafire.com/Apparatus...s/MVP/MVP.html

Look at the Ferrara M.V.P.

Comment

Very close

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
                              Back to your original request. i'd be interested to hear if you get any pics or specs for an engine meeting both the tank capacity and low hose bed. As I stated before, we tried and found that in the end a compromise has to be reached or you need a very long body. I've seen many posts here that address two of the three criteria, of which should be simple, it's that third leg of the triangle that seems so hard to build.
                              This unit looks very close to your interests. It has a 1250 gallon tank that could be reduced to 1000 gallons. That may lower the hosebed a little. I do not know if it carries hydraulic equipment.

http://www.4guysfire.com/indianriver.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 52shelby View Post
                                This unit looks very close to your interests. It has a 1250 gallon tank that could be reduced to 1000 gallons. That may lower the hosebed a little. I do not know if it carries hydraulic equipment.

http://www.4guysfire.com/indianriver.htm
                                4 Guys worked with us long and hard when we were speccing our rescue pumper only to not bid at the last minute. Of all the builders they may have been able to be closest to the low hosebed, 750 gwt, rescue compartments on oth sides for our needs. But alas, even their low bed really ended up with the top of the hose stacks above a workable height from the ground.

For all of us that ask for low hosebeds, ask yourself why this is needed? What are the parameters or tasks you want to accomplish with the low hosebed? I'm not saying you shouldn't want this, but be realistic the base hosebed height means nothing if it's only a few stacks wide and pushes the hose up out of reach.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X