Rosenbauer Chassis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosenbauer Chassis?

I had a little birdie tell me that Rosenbauer is going to make their own chassis in the near future so they can be sole source and go after customers that do not care for Spartan and HME. Anybody else heard anything?

Who does not care for Spartan or HME? I think Spartan makes a great chassis. Doesent Rosenbauer make their own chassis in Europe?

Comment

I like Spartan also, but some people do not like them for whatever reason. I heard they wanna be sole source and they were going to manufacture their own chassis. Kind of makes sense since they are one of the top producers according to sales. I guess we will see......

Comment

its a bad time in this economy for them to do this since the market is off so much. if if does happen, that will put a hurt on spartan since rosy is a big account for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ledebuhr1 View Post
          Who does not care for Spartan or HME?
          Lots of people that I meet in my travels.
          Career Fire Captain
          Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
            Lots of people that I meet in my travels.
            .......and the same goes for all of the rest, Pierce, Seagrave, E-One, etc., etc. There's not one cab/chassis that EVERYBODY likes. So what else is new?

Comment

Originally posted by LeadOff View Post
              .......and the same goes for all of the rest, Pierce, Seagrave, E-One, etc., etc. There's not one cab/chassis that EVERYBODY likes. So what else is new?
              Precisely.
              Career Fire Captain
              Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by captainchaos View Post
                I had a little birdie tell me that Rosenbauer is going to make their own chassis in the near future so they can be sole source and go after customers that do not care for Spartan and HME. Anybody else heard anything?
                Also does not Marion make a lot of Chassis Cabs for Spartan.
                As well as this compamy http://www.truckcab.com/category/fire-cabs/

So are they classed as sole source providers even if Marion built the cab for Spartan and shipped it to them.

Comment

To some, the term "sole source" means something, to others is does not. There can be a very broad definition of sole source manufacturer or a very narrow one, depending if you're trying to exclude a bidder or two from an apparatus purchase. I think we're it comes into play more significantly at times is in the service after the sale arena. If your truck is truly sole source (e.g., Pierce, Seagrave, E-One), then there shouldn't be any issues in getting any part of the apparatus repaired by the local service center, if you have one. With some of the other guys, there is always the possibility of "finger pointing" between the cab/chassis manufacturer and the outfit that finished the truck. We had a lot of this years back between Simon-Duplex and Saulsbury on some pumpers. I think things are better these days on this issue but I'm not positive.

Comment

Originally posted by LeadOff View Post
                    If your truck is truly sole source (e.g., Pierce, Seagrave, E-One), then there shouldn't be any issues in getting any part of the apparatus repaired by the local service center, if you have one.
                    I think many people dont realize that a "sole source" custom truck has about 85% of its components come from other manufacturers. The engine, suspension, warning lights, tires, pump, transmission, seats, all the way down to the auto eject battery charger come from outside sources. Your local dealer may be able to track down the problem, but it doesnt necessarily mean that they can fix it or wont do finger pointing. I see an awful lot of trucks sitting in Cummins, Detroit and Allison repair shops.
                    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Comment

Do some departments really only buy from sole source manufactures? Is being a sole source manufacture really that big of a deal?

Comment

The bottom line is manufacturers want all the sales they can get. And if we cut to the chase, Brand P s the biggest and if you send out there spec it always says the the cab has to manufactured at the same place as the body, blah, blah, etc....

I think another brand is now saying the chassis and body has to be built withing so many miles on one another.

I think the bottom line is that volunteer fire companies are more profitable than municipalities. Most VFC do not write their own spec, they use the manufacturer's. Hence, why Brand P is doing so well. They are full of caveats in their spec. I know some of us know better but the majority (90%) in america do not.

I am not bashing just Brand P, all manufacturer's do the same thing. My personal preference is a General on a Spartan Gladiator or an E-One on a Cyclone Chassis any day.

Different strokes for different folks. Just do your homework and weed through the BS and as Firepiper said 85% of the materials on any brand come from the same vendors.

Comment

Do some departments really only buy from sole source manufactures? Is being a sole source manufacture really that big of a deal?
                          No, like stated above nobody builds all their components and a lot of them get them from the same place. I'd say 85% is low.

I have had expierience with most chassis. I prefer Spartan over the rest. All they build is chassis (I know they own Crimson) and they build more than anyone else and they do a damn good job.

Comment

So want to bet that Rosenbauers new chassis cabs will be built by Marion, and have the same parts as Spartan. So the only difference will be name.

It takes a fair amount of money and [email protected] to develop a chassis, will they sell enough to justify the cost?

Comment

Do some departments really only buy from sole source manufactures?
                              Absolutely.

Is being a sole source manufacture really that big of a deal?
                              To some purchasers, yes, it is. To some purchasing agents, it is. To others, the fact that the the chassis, cab, and body are built by different manufacturers is of no significance, and they have (and will continue to) buy non-"sole source" apparatus.

I'm currently fighting this with my volunteer county now. Due to some past mistakes by other departments within the county, they're insisting that our rig be spec'd for sole source. I'm doing a lot of work to show that many, many manufacturers can build on a Spartan chassis that's as good as any sole source vehicle, and many times, we the purchaser can come ahead in money. Hopefully we'll find out soon.
                              Career Fire Captain
                              Volunteer Chief Officer

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X