IAFC - Chiefs Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAFC - Chiefs Show

Took a ride downtown to check out the exhibits. Was not suprised that American LaFrance wasn't there but didn't expect Seagrave to also be a no-show. They must also be on the downward slide.

LaFrance was there with at least two rigs.... Far east side of the hall.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Seagrave wasn't at the Fire Expo in Baltimore in late July either. I was told their absense from that show was due to the cost to display in Balto. I'm sure it was the same thing in Chicago. Things are getting very tight up in Clintonville and I'm sure their orders are down, especially since they've lost the recent FDNY contracts. I'm still hearing rumors (and that's all it is) that the company or LLC or whatever that owns Ferrara is interested in buying Seagrave. If this is the indeed the case, I would have to think that it would be to buy the capability to build "their own" aerial ladders so they can quit buying them from Smeal. They would also pick up the Aerialscope market which would fall right into their current situation in supplying the FDNY.
      Last edited by LeadOff; 08-28-2010, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by npfd801 View Post
        LaFrance was there with at least two rigs.... Far east side of the hall.
        LaFrance wasn't on the exhibitor's list. Were these two rigs there to show off some other products.

This would have been the most inexpensive show for Seagrave since the plant was only a 2 hour drive away.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredtruckman View Post
          This would have been the most inexpensive show for Seagrave since the plant was only a 2 hour drive away.
          I'm afraid there's a lot more to it than that.

Comment

Originally posted by LeadOff View Post
            I'm afraid there's a lot more to it than that.
            I too have to agree with this.

That company is slowly slipping away. Loosing the FDNY bid, which you can give them a share of the blame as well as the City of New York purchasing, they might get back on their feet.

If the present supplier of aerials doesn't live up to what is expected, the NYC may end up going back to that company.

I sure wouldn't want to be in that car or fire apparatus with you driving from Clintonville to Chicago in that is only two hours away.

A little further than that by highway!

Total Travel Estimate: 4 hours 3 minutes / 217.27 miles

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by retiredtruckman View Post
              LaFrance wasn't on the exhibitor's list. Were these two rigs there to show off some other products.

I'm sure that ALF was there as displays for ALF. The banners touted the ALF product.

Was I smoking crack? Anyone else at the Chicago show that saw them? I seem to remember one of the trucks being yellow.
              "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

Not Ripe yet? T.C.

Comment

Yes, ALF had a Squrt, engine (the yellow one mentioned, Ventura County, CA), and an antique there. See attached crappy cell phone pic:
                  Attached Files
                  Career Fire Captain
                  Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Not BAD.......for a Cell phone. T.C.

Comment

Pierce had a big booth with a lot of nice trucks but I think Crimson had the most impressive booth with a lot of interesting trucks including a Chicago ladder they just built and a Chicago pumper.
                      Last edited by ladderman; 08-29-2010, 10:08 AM.
                      cp

Comment

Originally posted by npfd801 View Post
                        I'm sure that ALF was there as displays for ALF. The banners touted the ALF product.

Was I smoking crack? Anyone else at the Chicago show that saw them? I seem to remember one of the trucks being yellow.
                        They were there. Talked to their national sales manager and service manager. Looked like last minute deal as old display at far end of the floor from the other apparatus. Said operating all out of the SC plant and PA plant so I guess the LTI plant is still planned at some level.

Rosy only had one apparatus on hand. What's up with that? Pierce and E-One had large displays. Went over for the giveaway of the E-One pumper. Some happy guys. The consoliation prizes for the next 6 FD were not so bad either.

Comment

ALF continues to remain an enigma wrapped in a riddle. Just when you think they're about to be pronounced dead, they pop up at a show like everything is just fine. Same thing happened in Harrisburg in May. Hard to figure. It doesn't look like they have much of a future in operating out of the old LTI facilities in Ephrata, PA. Crimson Aerials is about to move into the main building up there. ALF is still operating in one of the smaller buildings with a hand full of employees but not for much longer from what I've heard. Maybe they will continue to build pumpers at the SC facility but seriously doubt they will build aerials down there. Maybe they will buy aerials from Crimson and put them on their chassis. Now that would be a real twist!

Comment

Originally posted by neiowa View Post
                            Rosy only had one apparatus on hand. What's up with that? Pierce and E-One had large displays. Went over for the giveaway of the E-One pumper. Some happy guys. The consoliation prizes for the next 6 FD were not so bad either.
                            What were the consolation prizes, just outta curiosity?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                              I too have to agree with this.

That company is slowly slipping away. Loosing the FDNY bid, which you can give them a share of the blame as well as the City of New York purchasing, they might get back on their feet.

If the present supplier of aerials doesn't live up to what is expected, the NYC may end up going back to that company.

I sure wouldn't want to be in that car or fire apparatus with you driving from Clintonville to Chicago in that is only two hours away.

A little further than that by highway!

Total Travel Estimate: 4 hours 3 minutes / 217.27 miles

I don't think he was talking about anything with Seagrave, I think he was talking about the massive cost associated with displaying anything at these shows. The cost of driving apparatus to the shows is nothing compared to the costs payed to the show and the hall to have the booth, move in equipment, carpet, electrical, etc.

Not saying why anyone was or wasn't there, just not sure how many people realize the cost involved in actually being a vendor at one of these shows.
                              Just a guy...

Lieutenant - Woodbury, MN FD (Retired)
                              Road Captain - Red Knights MC, MN4

Disclaimer: The facts and opinions expressed above are mine, and mine alone, and are not intended to represent the views of any company I have ever worked for, past or present.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X