Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to tie AM/FM radio to siren speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to tie AM/FM radio to siren speaker?

Sorry - this has nothing to do with the core operation of fire apparatus, but is there a way to tie an AM/FM/CD radio in the cab to the siren speaker? We were looking into trying to have the music from the radio play through the external siren speaker at Christmas events mainly. The sound quality is not an issue... just looking into how I can switch the music from playing in the cab to have it play just outside via the siren speaker.

Yes...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
    sigpic
    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Oh, you wanted to know how?

Most (not all) siren/PA units have an input to put the radio on PA. Granted, it's intended for the public service radio but you can attach it to any output level audio source.

If your siren/PA isn't configured that way, you'd need to run your source through some other amplifier to drive a high wattage speaker like that. You'd probably be better off jury rigging something with a set of car speakers.
      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
      sigpic
      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Cobra View Post
        Sorry - this has nothing to do with the core operation of fire apparatus, but is there a way to tie an AM/FM/CD radio in the cab to the siren speaker? We were looking into trying to have the music from the radio play through the external siren speaker at Christmas events mainly. The sound quality is not an issue... just looking into how I can switch the music from playing in the cab to have it play just outside via the siren speaker.

Get a qualified radio technician to do this for you. You don't want to screw something up electronically!!!
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Thanks - I appreciate the help!

Comment

Tried this on out newest engine

Cobra, we tried this on our newest engine for the same reason (Christmas music). Had the factory wire it up for us. Never sounded very good and kept blowing out the fuse for the siren unit. We had them diconnect it. Good luck!

Comment

A neighboring department wired their external speaker to the AM/FM/CD in their engine, and quite honestly, it would give a Good Humor truck a run for it's money in audio quality.
              Career Fire Captain
              Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by 93Cobra View Post
                Thanks - I appreciate the help!
                Yup. Costs a nickle.Rubber band around the PA mic switch. Problem solved! T.C.

Comment

wire the radio to the siren speaker, get an animated controller to hook up to your mobile laptop and then you can have your very special LED Headlights flash to the music.

Comment

Actually it's pretty simple. Simply plug a headphone jack into your sound device (cd, ipod) and then connect the stripped wires to the radio input terminals on the rear of the siren.

The biggest mistake people make when playing anything through a amplifier is turning the input device (cd, ipod) up to loud. This distorts the sound coming out of the speakers. Regulate the volume thru the volume knob on your siren head.

You could leave the wire connected thoughout the year and simply plug in your device when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                      Yup. Costs a nickle.Rubber band around the PA mic switch. Problem solved! T.C.

This could burn up the amp in the siren head by hold the mic down like that. It was designed to do that.

Beside IMO the sound coming forth sounds cheesy!!

Comment

For the duration of a PARADE? Nope,won't happen. Siren Boxes are designed to do PA broadcasts all day or drive 100 watt speaker all day. If you wanna go to the aggravation of hard wiring it,go for it. Either way,it's the same "load" on the amplifier. T.C.

Comment

It isn't that hard to do, if you have someone with a basic understanding of car stereo wiring. All you need to do is run one set of speaker outputs to the input lines on the siren (if equipped with a radio repeat function). That is all they do with your E-band radio to do the same.

Comment

I KNOW it isn't hard,my shop SPECIALIZES in Automotive electric. The OP asked for ways to do it. I gave him one. That we have used SUCCESSFULLY before. If you prefer hardwire and the Dept doesn't object,knock yourself out. T.C.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X