Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with Spartan A/C Units

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Problem with Spartan A/C Units

    I read this forum frequently but have never posted to it before, so here it goes. We operate 5 vehicles on the Spartan Gladiator Chassis. 3 Engines and 2 Aerials all delivered during 2008-2009. The Spartan roof mounted A/C units have a very poorly designed system to remove the condensation/mositure. Frequently the water ends up spilling out of the unit and into the cab. Has anyone heard of a permanent "fix" for this problem. I know Spartan has re-designed a new system with a pump to remove the water and dump it on the street but that wont help these units with the older system. We have been in touch with Spartan but I'm just curious if anyone on this site may have something to add.

  • #2
    I'd talk to Joe Sullivan at Spartan. Our 04 does it but only occasionally on real humid days. Make sure you keep the drain tube clear. Joe is a Great resource at Spartan,he can get you info on everything they're doing. T.C.

    Comment


    • #3
      mine had a crack in the condensate tray.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NFDE6 View Post
        I read this forum frequently but have never posted to it before, so here it goes. We operate 5 vehicles on the Spartan Gladiator Chassis. 3 Engines and 2 Aerials all delivered during 2008-2009. The Spartan roof mounted A/C units have a very poorly designed system to remove the condensation/mositure. Frequently the water ends up spilling out of the unit and into the cab. Has anyone heard of a permanent "fix" for this problem. I know Spartan has re-designed a new system with a pump to remove the water and dump it on the street but that wont help these units with the older system. We have been in touch with Spartan but I'm just curious if anyone on this site may have something to add.
        Those Spartans that you have should have electric pumps to pump off the condensate. Our 2007 had a similar problem when it was new. Toyne's service dealer (also services Spartan) fixed it for us. I believe they repositioned the pick up tube so that it went farther into the condensate sump.

        I drove a new Gladiator about 800 miles a week or so ago. It has an air operated condensate pump system. Hot and humid outside, no problem in the cab.

        Comment


        • #5
          My dept had a similar problem with a herd of American LaChance chassis's a few years back. Reworking the drain tubes fixed the problems.

          Plus they added a pump that runs for a few after the truck is still shut down.
          Last edited by txgp17; 08-03-2010, 02:04 AM.
          The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

          Comment


          • #6
            I've had to replace 3 of the pump motors because they failed in less than a year on new rigs. All were replaced with the same motor. How long they will last, as well as the other 9, I don't know.

            @ Chief... Our 2009-10 rigs are still pumped by electric motors in the roof section with the A/C system. They turn on when first powered up for 3 minutes. After that, I'm not 100% sure what the interval is. Need to find that out.

            FM1
            I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

            Originally posted by EastKyFF
            "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
              I've had to replace 3 of the pump motors because they failed in less than a year on new rigs. All were replaced with the same motor. How long they will last, as well as the other 9, I don't know.

              @ Chief... Our 2009-10 rigs are still pumped by electric motors in the roof section with the A/C system. They turn on when first powered up for 3 minutes. After that, I'm not 100% sure what the interval is. Need to find that out.

              FM1
              So far, so good on ours. They seem to be on some sort of a clock. As you say, they begin pumping when first powered up, then periodically after that. I haven't paid attention to the interval, but it seems pretty regular. I do know that if I power up to work on something without starting the engine, I hear it come on every so often.

              This air operated system must be pretty new. As I was preparing to leave with the truck, I was told not to worry about the "air leak" I was hearing, it's the new condensate pump working. Try telling that one to a D.O.T. inspector during a roadside.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
                So far, so good on ours. They seem to be on some sort of a clock. As you say, they begin pumping when first powered up, then periodically after that. I haven't paid attention to the interval, but it seems pretty regular. I do know that if I power up to work on something without starting the engine, I hear it come on every so often.

                This air operated system must be pretty new. As I was preparing to leave with the truck, I was told not to worry about the "air leak" I was hearing, it's the new condensate pump working. Try telling that one to a D.O.T. inspector during a roadside.
                Why would DOT give a fire truck a roadside?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SFD_E73_RET View Post
                  Why would DOT give a fire truck a roadside?
                  Obviously you've never been to Connecticut. They DOT EVERYTHING! T.C.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi All,

                    Our 2008 Spartan had a "leak" issue and it was corrected. It was caused by the condensation pump motor being seized due due to the fact it had some how shifted and jammed the impeller. We also had to add "freon" to it this spring as it wasn't blowing any cold air.

                    The AC is working okay now. Both issues were warrantied by Sparton.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Be safe,

                    CaptLou
                    "GOTFOAM?"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                      Obviously you've never been to Connecticut. They DOT EVERYTHING! T.C.
                      And one of their inspectors is a member, too! After over 10 years, he still owes me a patch.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SFD_E73_RET View Post
                        Why would DOT give a fire truck a roadside?
                        I'm thinking in terms of when I move them for the factory or a dealer. Fair game, then.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
                          I've had to replace 3 of the pump motors because they failed in less than a year on new rigs. All were replaced with the same motor. How long they will last, as well as the other 9, I don't know.

                          @ Chief... Our 2009-10 rigs are still pumped by electric motors in the roof section with the A/C system. They turn on when first powered up for 3 minutes. After that, I'm not 100% sure what the interval is. Need to find that out.

                          FM1
                          This morning I was out with ours while the hose testing company was doing their thing. I had the main power switch on, engine off and the A/C off. The condensate pump cycled approximately every five minutes.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I was just going to post about this. Glad we are not the only ones.

                            Our 2009 Spartan Gladiator/Toyne just got back from a month long stay at the service center for this issue, among a few other Spartan issues. After the service center was in touch with Spartan about the water POURING out of the ceiling onto the dash, the radio, the firecom, and our map books they didnt get any word of a recall until the day before it was due to come back to us. We took it back anyway realizing that the parts would not be in for a few days. While they could not manage to get it to leak at the service center, or on the drive home, it was leaking again by the next day.

                            I just returned from a run and when I pulled up to the house a 1/4" stream of water came out of the ceiling onto the dash. It is also leaking through the ceiling mounted dome light. This is in addition to the constant dripping onto the doghouse. This is accumulated water as we have not had the A/C on at all today.

                            The recall notices we got in the mail are for the condensate pump and the actual pan where the water accumulates. I certainly hope this fixes the issue. Of all the things that can go wrong you would expect they would have perfected something as simple as draining water from a condenser.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The Spartan HVAC system uses a pump so that they don't have drain tubes running through the interior. The pump is a marine bilge pump.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X