No announcement yet.

E-One makes some layoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard from several reps from some of Seagrave competitors (so take this news for what it is worth) that Seagrave did not display at the Fire Expo in Baltimore last week due to cost. It's rather expensive for the apparatus manufacturers at the Fire Expo as compared to the Harrisburg PA show in May which is much cheaper. Seagrave is not in good shape right now and money is tight. I wouldn't doubt at all if they did file Chapter 11 or are about ready to do so. Around these parts, when Seagrave has provided a bid they have usually been the high bidder. The only companies that have bought new Seagraves are staunch Seagrave customers that didn't have to go with the low bidder. I heard recently that Kentland in PG County just placed an order for a new Seagrave Aerialscope to replace their old one. I doubt that they really wanted any other type of aerial tower so Seagrave probably had a lock on this one. I don't think Seagrave can stay afloat on Aerialscope orders alone!

Comment

Seagrave

10 House, you seem to have the crystal ball their in Marydel..........I love these guys whom said they heard, heard from who? Typical firehouse kind of guy.

Comment

IF it were true i feel comfortable saying the ol FDNY warranty could be a contributing factor

Comment

Originally posted by InIttowinit View Post
          IF it were true i feel comfortable saying the ol FDNY warranty could be a contributing factor
          It's called mis management.

Comment

Originally posted by InIttowinit View Post
            No doubt, this has to be a huge expense that could easily break the bank. Also, wasn't the last rounds of scopes extremely late with insane penalty clauses?

Comment

E-One

The Scopes were 90 days late, I hope Ferrara is ready for the warranty claims.........

Comment

Now we'll have to see if Ferrara can satisfy the FDNY. Good luck Ferrara, you'll need it.

Comment

Originally posted by aerialbabe View Post
                  As promised,

E-One lays off employees at 3 Ocala plants

By Carlos E. Medina...

E-One specializes in aluminum vehicles, which are not as popular in areas that routinely get snowfall, because the salt used to melt ice and snow causes corrosion...

The author obviously doesn't know ..... from shineola. Perhaps works for Pierce?

Company is debt free (what other mfg can claim thiis?), recently purchased and is reopening a factory to build a new product line (SS bodies), recently purchased the leading building of vac tankers.

Dumped a couple hundred dead wood when they seperated from FedSig.

Yeah, sure signs of going out of business.

Comment

E-One

Not sure about the relevance of the Pierce comment however I think your right on target, E-One will be back soon.

Comment

The rumor mill is also saying that they are planning on shutting down for a week or two sometime soon. I know that Pierce shuts down for a week every summer so there may not be much to this.
                      Last edited by sven73; 07-30-2010, 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I think alot of large companies (GM, Ford, Pierce, E-One, etc) shut down for a week for the 4th of July. If it was longer, then I would associate this with slow production, low orders, etc. I worked at a tool and die shop for a few years and we had a shut down around July 4th.

The same holds true for shutting down around Christmas and New Years. I think the main thing to look at is the length of the shutdown and if it falls around a holiday.

Comment

When I worked for a large tool , hardware, electronics, manufacturing conglomerate with over 60 plants in North America, they shut down the entire operation for two or three weeks every August so that the majority of employees could have their family vacations while the kiddies were on summer break. It also allowed the company to keep the production systems running without vacations leaving sporadic gaps in needed personnel.
                          The only division that didn't shut down was transportation, we kept most of our trucking fleet busy doing interplant moves, and picking up from vendors across the nation.

Slow downs in production/orders where usually adjusted by lengthening the Christmas / New years closing a few days either side.

Comment

Can anyone tell me why E-One no longer has a dealer in the Baltimore Wahington Area. Will they have a new dealer soon as it has been nearly 2 years since they had a dealer.They used to sell quite a few rigs in this area, now not so many, if any.
                            Last edited by totheroof; 07-30-2010, 10:48 AM.

Comment

To date, there is still no E-One dealer for MD, DE, and the eastern half of VA. The dealership that used to have this area, American Fire that was located in Woodbridge VA, abruptly folded but I'm not sure what the reasons were other than financial. One of E-One's bigger customers in these parts is Anne Arundel County who has purchased quite a few E-Ones over the past years. I'm sort of suprised that E-One has not established a new dealership in this area. I've heard rumors (and that's all they are!) that AA Co. may switch to Pierce if E-One doesn't get a new dealer/service center in the Balto/DC area. There is another rumor floating around that the current Crimson dealer in this area may be switching to E-One but it hasn't happened and who knows if it ever will. That's all I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by LeadOff View Post
                                I'm sort of suprised that E-One has not established a new dealership in this area.
                                I am surprised that the area is still selling factory direct myself. But keep in mind that dealerships are independent owners/operators and it takes a lot of cash to start one from scratch. Good luck finding investors who want to sink money into an industry that is suffering from the tightening (or strangling) of municipal budgets that MAY start to recover in another couple of years. Not to mention, sell a truck today, get paid a year from now. Best bet, find an established dealership who is willing to jump ship.
                                I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X