Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomr
    replied
    The Ferrara website has pictures of the first Newark cab/chassis for the pumpers.
    ferrarafire.com

Leave a comment:

• sven73
    replied
    FWD- LOL! The stories I could tell!

Leave a comment:

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Originally posted by sven73 View Post
    Wow, secrecy surrounding a Newark, NJ bid. There's a shock! (sarcasm)
    Kind of like a Pierce bid!!!! And in New Jersey, too! (sarcasm)

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Interesting. Does NJ have sunshine act/right to know laws???
    I was thinking the same thing, has anyone filed a FOIA request?

Leave a comment:

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Originally posted by tomr View Post
    There is much secrecy regarding this bid and to my knowledge, no one has been able to get a copy of the bid.
    Interesting. Does NJ have sunshine act/right to know laws???

Leave a comment:

• sven73
    replied
    Wow, secrecy surrounding a Newark, NJ bid. There's a shock! (sarcasm)

Leave a comment:

• tomr
    replied
    I believe the original bid was for about $360,000. There were also upgrade options that I think were later ruled invalid. There is much secrecy regarding this bid and to my knowledge, no one has been able to get a copy of the bid. The third pumper is supposed to be a foam-pumper so one would think that it would be more expensive. Construction has just started, pictures should be available soon on the Ferrara page, and last I heard, delivery scheduled for sometime in February

Leave a comment:

• WoodbridgeFFII
    replied
    Bid Award

Anyone know what the bid award was for each pumper apparatus from Ferrara ?

Leave a comment:

• Nozzle nut 22
    replied
    Originally posted by npfd801 View Post
    The HME chassis is an alternative that some like, some don't. I have customers that are devout HME fans, other's don't like it. The same can be said of Spartan, KME, etc.

The price for admission to a custom chassis is substantially lower for the entry level HME than with Spartan. And no matter how much you dislike HME, I would consider it a vast improvement in many areas over a conventional commercial chassis.
    Ding ding ding!!! Well said. The automakers have been doing this for decades. Many of Chevy's compact cars are Japanese built to GM's specs. Same for ford and the Ranger series. It keeps the price of admission down, and allows them to offer a wider variety of models.

I don't know much about HME, we've never owned one, nor have any of our neighbors, until now. One of our most frequent mutual aid partners just got an HME rescue. Word on the street is that they've had issues with the chassis already. However, Chicago has used them for years, and they seem to like them.

My only beef is that one model, the SFO, I believe, looks like a box with wheels. Whether or not it is a good chassis, I don't know- just that I think it is ugly as sin...

Back on topic, FFA advertises the Ember as a lower cost customizable chassis. The Inferno is the flagship chassis. As the NFD bid seems to be based on $$ as the deal breaker, FFA would be dumb to bid pumpers on their most expensive option. Basing the bid on the ember lets them compete pricewise, and still have all the custom options Newark expects.

Imo, the problem with a low cost uber alles bid system, is that you end up with the cheap stuff. Granted, budget dollars are limited, and your chief has to stand in front of the city, town or commission and justify every stinkin dollar, but a little creativity, and a list of what you will compromise on and what you won't can help you get the rig you WANT at the price the bean counters will pay. If that means playing favorites, too bad.

FWIW, not every dept beats the snot out of their trucks like FDNY or Newark do. A rig that the brothers in the Bronx hand back to the manuf in pieces in 3 years may very well last most depts 15 years or more, lol. That kind of call volume over those "roads" tends to wear stuff down in a hurry!

Leave a comment:

• firefightinirish217
    replied
    Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
    What ever happened to the good ol' days when the name on the truck was the name of who built it. Jeesh.
    That's one of the reasons I like the Sutphen brand, most, if not all, of their apparatus are on Sutphen chassis. I say most because their commercial rigs are built on the chassis of whatever brand they use be it International, Freightliner, etc. But all of their custom rigs are built by Sutphen and on Sutphen chassis. Dang good rigs too.

Leave a comment:

• npfd801
    replied
    Much of HME's cab issues from the past seem to have been taken care of by switching to Marion to build their cabs, who happens to also build Spartan's.

Leave a comment:

• LeadOff
    replied
    We've always had very good luck with Spartan. Good product in our eyes. Never had any HME cab/chassis units. Balto County had a few years back but don't really know how well they liked them. Elkton MD has several HME's but now are going with Pierce. I've heard that they've had a lot of quality problems with HME but that's just hearsay. HME has to be better than the Simon-Duplex junkers that we had several years back.

Leave a comment:

• RFDACM02
    replied
    Originally posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    The only problems that I heard of with the budget HME Intruder is that a few years back, some units had weld cracks in the cab ?
    Our 1999 HME chassis had torn sheet metal in the floor of the cab, but this was replaced by a thicker gauge in later models. While overall we're not to pleased with the HME in general, they took care of our issues once we got past the Big "R" who was less than little help.

Leave a comment:

• WoodbridgeFFII
    replied
    Originally posted by npfd801 View Post
    The HME chassis is an alternative that some like, some don't. I have customers that are devout HME fans, other's don't like it. The same can be said of Spartan, KME, etc.

The price for admission to a custom chassis is substantially lower for the entry level HME than with Spartan. And no matter how much you dislike HME, I would consider it a vast improvement in many areas over a conventional commercial chassis.
    The only problems that I heard of with the budget HME Intruder is that a few years back, some units had weld cracks in the cab ?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• npfd801
    replied
    Originally posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    Is the HME chassis cab that bad that no one likes, or buys there product. I think that if you can only afford to spend so much on a apparatus and want a ( custom cab & chassis ) then you have to go with the low budget chassis. May it be a Typhoon, Metro, Intruder, Panther, Saber, Shields, etc. It is still much better than commercial cab with less room for firefighters and a better turning radius, shorter wheelbase, etc!

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X