Newark new jersey order ferrara pumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the clause in question:

"The operations at the subassembly facilities shall be located within the boundaries of one state and shall be no more than 60 miles from the final assembly facility of the bidding manufacturer. The purchaser must have the ability to meet with the engineers for all phases of construction, observe all aspects of construction, and inspect the facilities during the course of a single inspection visit to the final assembler to enable the purchaser to make complete and informed decisions. PROPOSALS WHICH REQUIRE TRIPS EXCEEDING 60 MILES FROM THE MAIN FACILITY OR REQUIRE TRIPS INTO NUMEROUS STATES WILL BE DEEMED NON-CONFORMING AND NOT CONSIDERED."

In the spec, the paragraph above this one allows separate subassembly facilities as long as both are wholly owned by the bidding manufacturer or parent company subject to the above restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by spec-tec View Post
      EVIS is reporting that the City of Newark New Jersey has ordered Three Ferrara Fire Apparatus Heavy Duty Pumpers. Anyone have any info?
      God help them...while we've had problems with our Seagraves....we've had many many more with those HP pumpers we got. They are junk...there just isn't any otherway to say it.

Best of luck to Newark..hope they have a good warranty like ours have...they will need it.

FTM-PTB

Comment

Amazing

Originally posted by tomr View Post
        Here is the clause in question:

"The operations at the subassembly facilities shall be located within the boundaries of one state and shall be no more than 60 miles from the final assembly facility of the bidding manufacturer. The purchaser must have the ability to meet with the engineers for all phases of construction, observe all aspects of construction, and inspect the facilities during the course of a single inspection visit to the final assembler to enable the purchaser to make complete and informed decisions. PROPOSALS WHICH REQUIRE TRIPS EXCEEDING 60 MILES FROM THE MAIN FACILITY OR REQUIRE TRIPS INTO NUMEROUS STATES WILL BE DEEMED NON-CONFORMING AND NOT CONSIDERED."

In the spec, the paragraph above this one allows separate subassembly facilities as long as both are wholly owned by the bidding manufacturer or parent company subject to the above restrictions.
        Amazing that a FD would put verbage in like that especially one in NJ where the economy must be hurting and rule out a reputable (not saying Crimson necessarily) compliant bidder.

Though a smart dealer would probably throw the bid package in the garbage after reading conditions like that.. Unless of course the dealer wrote the specs with the FD..

Amazing that other major city FD's can buy apparatus from non chassis building OEMS..

Comment

What's The Problem ?

Spartan Chassis, owns the Crimson Fire Apparatus company. I do not understand why they dumped the low bidder?

Comment

Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
            God help them...while we've had problems with our Seagraves....we've had many many more with those HP pumpers we got. They are junk...there just isn't any otherway to say it.

Best of luck to Newark..hope they have a good warranty like ours have...they will need it.

FTM-PTB
            What is an HP Pumper. I have three Ferrara's in my department and they perform awsome. We had all Mack's before that and they are all built old school just like the Mack but stop, turn better and are not run on computers. There must be a reason these big City's seem to like them, and it's certainly not low bid.

Comment

What is an HP Pumper.
              HP = High Pressure. Here's one of the rigs he's referring to. Engine 54.

There must be a reason these big City's seem to like them, and it's certainly not low bid.
              Fred works for a fairly large city.
              Career Fire Captain
              Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                HP = High Pressure. Here's one of the rigs he's referring to. Engine 54.

Fred works for a fairly large city.
                HD Heavy Duty

Comment

HD Heavy Duty
                  True, but since he wrote HP, I referred to High Pressure.
                  Career Fire Captain
                  Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

I have nothing for or against Ferrara. I would say any of the six bidders could build a satisfactory pumper that would meet the needs of the NFD. Its interesting that that 60 mile clause, which was not in any previous specs, would suddenly appear and only affects one bidder (who also happened to be the low bidder). Intentional? I don't know. How many other potential bidders did not bid when they saw that clause?
                    I always let some potential bidders see a draft copy of the specs to let me know:
                    a. any mistakes or problems with the design
                    b. any items unfavorable to them or favorable to another potential bidder
                    c. any items that were unclear or omitted
                    I always got good feedback and the potential bidders all knew they had a chance. You would be surprised how quickly they can spot favoritism in a spec and know which manufacturer was being favored.

Comment

Well, at least Newark is getting some much needed newer apparatus.
                      My Fire Apparatus Photos: x635Photos.com

Seth G., Round Rock Texas

Comment

Box Alarm is on the ball.

HP=High Pressure and they are garbage...this city, or at least the MPOs and the Mechanics (that I've spoke too) do not like this product.

FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
                          Box Alarm is on the ball.

HP=High Pressure and they are garbage...this city, or at least the MPOs and the Mechanics (that I've spoke too) do not like this product.

FTM-PTB
                          Well like I said something must be wrong if they are still buying them (FDNY) and they are not the low-bid. As stated in a previus thread the FDNY HP truck were a custom spec, one off chasis that didn't work out that well because of the spec.

Comment

I believe Ferrara was the only bidder for FDNY rear mount ladders & rescues. I don't know about pumpers.

Comment

Originally posted by tomr View Post
                              I believe Ferrara was the only bidder for FDNY rear mount ladders & rescues. I don't know about pumpers.
                              Seagrave Ferrara on the ladders with Ferrara being the high bidder. Ferrara only bidder on all five Rescues and Haz-Mat truck.

Comment

Well like I said something must be wrong if they are still buying them (FDNY) and they are not the low-bid. As stated in a previus thread the FDNY HP truck were a custom spec, one off chasis that didn't work out that well because of the spec.
                                They ordered more High-Pressure pumpers from this Ferrara? That I hadn't heard.

Everything we do is custom. That doesn't explain why these aren't the best rigs out there.

FTM-PTB

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X