Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would the type of furniture in your day room encourage recruitment and retention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would the type of furniture in your day room encourage recruitment and retention?

Would the type of furniture in your day room encourage recruitment and retention? Would you want to volunteer more if you have $700 chairs to sit or would you volunteer the same without them?
    Yes
    6.25%
    No
    85.42%
    Maybe
    8.33%

Originally posted by Firefighter6034 View Post
    Would the type of furniture in your day room encourage recruitment and retention? Would you want to volunteer more if you have $700 chairs to sit or would you volunteer the same without them?
    I'd volunteer all the same without them. Then again, if you had a big, plush couch that reclined out and had cup holders at each seat, with a mini-fridge in the middle that kept a nice supply of beer co.... oh, sorry, thinking of my dream living room at home instead. Nevermind

Comment

We're getting ready to buy some of those $700 recliners for our station under construction. It's not being used as a recruitment and retention tool, rather as a way of thanks for the guys who work hard to keep our station and company in good shape.

I don't think we'd lose any members if we didn't get them, but at the same time, I don't think we'll have applications flying in becuase of the squishy chairs in the day room.
      Career Fire Captain
      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Probably not. I would like to get rid of the loveseats in one of our stations however.

I wish I was kidding.
        Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Comment

I nominate this for dumbest opinion of the month post.

No offense to the OP, but if anyone really believes that the type of furniture would do it... well... bizarre.
          I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

I guess I'll disagree with most of the posters and say that yes, nice furniture in the day room may encourage volunteers to spend time at the station.

And it could be a determining factor in the mind of a prospective volunteer as well as it shows him that the department places value in their volunteers, and takes the time to reward them with a nice place to hang out.

The simple fact is that the more comfortable we make the station, the more likely it is that folks will spend time there. This also includes nice TVs, playstations, workout areas and nice kitchen with pots and pans that encourage them to cook a meal rather than run and eat at the local McNastys.

One of the key, and few, advantages that a career department gives it citizens is a rapid response from the station. If a volunteer department has the funds available once they provide reasonable training, PPE, communications and apparatus to make the station a nice place to spend time, it's certainly a reasonable and justifiable expenditure as it will shorten response times.

Yes, it will have an affect on morale and likely the time that volunteers will spend there.
            Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

A better question would be would you really want someone who was motivated by dayroom furniture volunteering with you?
              Career Firefighter
              Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
              I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

i've always been motivated by departments with good tools, you know, things I get paid to work with. I sit on a plastic lawn chair at my department when I'm reading or studying and our beds are hand me downs from the prison. We don't care about it because we worry more about the things we use while working and not sitting on our *** all day.
                ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                  Yes, it will have an affect on morale and likely the time that volunteers will spend there.
                  A $700 dollar recliner as opposed to a $200 recliner will make a difference for your morale?

I don't know, we spent something stupid like $80k on our "day room" and the morale was not better, in fact, it got worse in some ways.

BS
                  I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                    I guess I'll disagree with most of the posters and say that yes, nice furniture in the day room may encourage volunteers to spend time at the station.

And it could be a determining factor in the mind of a prospective volunteer as well as it shows him that the department places value in their volunteers, and takes the time to reward them with a nice place to hang out.

The simple fact is that the more comfortable we make the station, the more likely it is that folks will spend time there. This also includes nice TVs, playstations, workout areas and nice kitchen with pots and pans that encourage them to cook a meal rather than run and eat at the local McNastys.

One of the key, and few, advantages that a career department gives it citizens is a rapid response from the station. If a volunteer department has the funds available once they provide reasonable training, PPE, communications and apparatus to make the station a nice place to spend time, it's certainly a reasonable and justifiable expenditure as it will shorten response times.

I don't agree with you at pretty much anything u post on here I think you views are a little insane at points. However I have to agree with you on this one. I volunteered on a dept that didnt have much of anything one bunk older than I care to think about no even able to sleep on nor would I want to. Our couch was hand me down prob from the 60's and in general the station was run down and never taken care of. Now I am paid at a different combo dept that has nice chairs and is cleaned up and taken care of. We have a decent kitchen with all the essentials to cook anything we like. There is a huge difference as to the amount of people that actually come out and hangout on our shift. At the other department if it wasn't a call or training night you would see one person there.

Comment

Originally posted by tajm611 View Post
                      We don't care about it because we worry more about the things we use while working and not sitting on our *** all day.
                      Our guys don't sit on their *** all day either, we just want them to have comfortable place to do it once at the training, chores, and calls are done with.
                      Career Fire Captain
                      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                        Our guys don't sit on their *** all day either, we just want them to have comfortable place to do it once at the training, chores, and calls are done with.
                        The OP didn't say anything about comfort... he asked about $700 recliners.

Yes, if you are sitting on egg crates and sharing space with the horses then it will affect morale.

But if the furniture is comfortable not covered in stains and there is a TV, most guys are cool with it.

Comment

Idk, maybe I'm weird but I've never fought a fire with a recliner or any furniture for that matter. Nor have I had time to dwell on the comfort of a mattress. Your job is firefighter, not sleeper. If it's not your job, lounge at your house.
                          ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Comment

Originally posted by tajm611 View Post
                            Idk, maybe I'm weird but I've never fought a fire with a recliner or any furniture for that matter. Nor have I had time to dwell on the comfort of a mattress. Your job is firefighter, not sleeper. If it's not your job, lounge at your house.
                            C'mon now, I think you're taking things out of context. I'm well aware of what my job is, as are the personnel I volunteer and work with. I know you're not so naive to think that we're going to spend the ENTIRE day and night training, running calls, doing inspections, reading trade journals, watching that leftover 1987 American HEAT on VHS, eating, running more calls, cleaning, running more calls, etc. There IS going to be down time, and we might as well provide some level of comfort to the personnel during those times.

I've never faught a fire with a recliner either, though my curiosity is piqued now.
                            Career Fire Captain
                            Volunteer Chief Officer

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                              C'mon now, I think you're taking things out of context. I'm well aware of what my job is, as are the personnel I volunteer and work with. I know you're not so naive to think that we're going to spend the ENTIRE day and night training, running calls, doing inspections, reading trade journals, watching that leftover 1987 American HEAT on VHS, eating, running more calls, cleaning, running more calls, etc. There IS going to be down time, and we might as well provide some level of comfort to the personnel during those times.

I've never faught a fire with a recliner either, though my curiosity is piqued now.
                              Well said I was getting ready to post a similar message.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X