Raise the requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TNFF319 View Post
    WTF? That makes my head hurt. I laughed when I saw " you have the duties." Is that like poopy pants?
    I had not checked on this thread in a day or two and when I read your post I laughed my arse off. I hope Hector has gotten over "the duties" by now or at least has taken some Imodium.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

How do you guys handle experienced, certified volunteers, who have either served as senior firefighters, or even company-level officers, who move into your district and join? I ask because our department has encountered this before.

Obviously, making them repeat the academy is redundant, though there is something to be said about training with the department to build bonds and teamwork. Do you have a 'fast track' program or other method to accomodate these valuable volunteers without making them feel like complete and total newbies?

Comment

Originally posted by FyrnResQ View Post
        How do you guys handle experienced, certified volunteers, who have either served as senior firefighters, or even company-level officers, who move into your district and join? I ask because our department has encountered this before.

Obviously, making them repeat the academy is redundant, though there is something to be said about training with the department to build bonds and teamwork. Do you have a 'fast track' program or other method to accomodate these valuable volunteers without making them feel like complete and total newbies?
        In my department they do what is called "audit the Academy." They show up on particular days of the Academy to learn department-specific things and then also show up on testing day for those skills to show they've learned them. This way they don't have to go through an entire Academy all over, but they become a part of our system and how we do things in our world.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Axe View Post
          In my department they do what is called "audit the Academy." They show up on particular days of the Academy to learn department-specific things and then also show up on testing day for those skills to show they've learned them. This way they don't have to go through an entire Academy all over, but they become a part of our system and how we do things in our world.
          I totally agree. I myself have been on a department previous to the one I am currently on, and I have to say no two departments are the same, they have their own ways and traditions of doing things. Also what you learn in the book is not always what the Chief or task calls for.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X