Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep...........

Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
    Hey Chief, I'd be curious to know what you guys do to recruit down your way. Obviously word of mouth is big but do you do anything to try to recruit locally?

We do the usual stuff, attend a lot of Community Functions, Banners, Signs, etc.......... A neigboring Company tried something at their Fire Prevention Open House last Month, and got an unexpected payback. Auto accidents are a big chunk of our work in this area, and everyone sees us working at some point. So, Along with the Usual Demos, etc, they had a row of Junkers to cut on...... Citizens attending the event could put on a set of Gear and pick up a tool and cut, or pop a door, etc....... Ratio of instructors was like 3 for each citizen. No Problems whatsoever. Of the Dozen people who Tried the Tool, Four have applied to join...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
      We do the usual stuff, attend a lot of Community Functions, Banners, Signs, etc.......... A neigboring Company tried something at their Fire Prevention Open House last Month, and got an unexpected payback. Auto accidents are a big chunk of our work in this area, and everyone sees us working at some point. So, Along with the Usual Demos, etc, they had a row of Junkers to cut on...... Citizens attending the event could put on a set of Gear and pick up a tool and cut, or pop a door, etc....... Ratio of instructors was like 3 for each citizen. No Problems whatsoever. Of the Dozen people who Tried the Tool, Four have applied to join...........
      We were going to do a similar thing at this year's Open House but we had staffing issues, so it was one of the activities that got scrubbed.

Will make note that it seemed to work elsewhere and maybe move it higher on the priority list for staffing next year.
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

this thread is interesting, I want to volunteer soon also.

Comment

Ok..................

Originally posted by gssjr11 View Post
          this thread is interesting, I want to volunteer soon also.

What part of the World do you live in?? Things are different from place to place.....
          In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
            We were going to do a similar thing at this year's Open House but we had staffing issues, so it was one of the activities that got scrubbed.

Will make note that it seemed to work elsewhere and maybe move it higher on the priority list for staffing next year.
            How come nobody does real demonstrations such as forcible entries, piercing nozzles, etc. Everyone just does extinguisher training and extrication. Yes, we have more mvc and entrapments than we do with fires, but why not show the stuff rescue workers go through, put a dummy in the drivers seat and demonstrate tunneling or how to avoid further injuries from glass penetration and such. Or demonstrate shoring, or airbag use, collapses are rare and once they occur, does your department know what to do? It could pan out to be a good training and demo for open houses. Create a roof prop and and demonstrate cutting techniques or ladder placement?
            Benton Fire District Four
            Ladder One
            First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
            Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
            Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
              How come nobody does real demonstrations such as forcible entries, piercing nozzles, etc. Everyone just does extinguisher training and extrication. Yes, we have more mvc and entrapments than we do with fires, but why not show the stuff rescue workers go through, put a dummy in the drivers seat and demonstrate tunneling or how to avoid further injuries from glass penetration and such. Or demonstrate shoring, or airbag use, collapses are rare and once they occur, does your department know what to do? It could pan out to be a good training and demo for open houses. Create a roof prop and and demonstrate cutting techniques or ladder placement?
              As a rule, we have at least 2 live fire demos beyond extinguishers at our Open House. This year, because of the burn ban, we felt that it was better that we cancel all live fire demos.

We have also discovered that an effective demo should take a maximum of 15 minutes, with an optimum time of 10 minutes, so most of our demos are centered around one or two quick, primary topics.

In addition, we are often hamstrung by manpower limitations, and much of what we plan is based around that.
              Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire View Post
                Come visit this area. Stand in the doorway from the dayroom to the bay area when a box alarm goes out and start counting. See how many seconds before you're trampled. I guarantee even at 3am when everyone is asleep, you won't get to two digit numbers. Geared up, in the truck, rolling out the door in <60 seconds is quite normal around here. I'm tellin' ya, this is another world down here. It ain't like back home
                Sorry, but I've actually done research in that area. In studies involving two large counties in that area, they didn't meet the NFPA 1710 standard either in a simulated response scenario nor in a review of one year's actual response time records. At 3 am, almost nobody meets the standard.
                "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                sigpic
                The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Recruitment

We like many Departments have problems recruiting Volunteers. Lately we have been having a blood drive with tables set out looking for Volunteers along with radio spots during the event. This year they had to turn people away at the door because of the response not to mention we picked up a boat load of applications. This Saturday we're having a food drive at a local supermarket with donations to the food bank and tables set up to collect the food and also sign up potential Volunteers . There will be a raffle for the people signing up to Volunteer with the winner receiving a gift card for groceries at the store. With this all said we're starting our Academy in January to teach the new Volunteers how to do their job.
                  Respectfully,
                  Jay Dudley
                  Retired Fire
                  Background Investigator
                  IACOJ-Member
                  Lifetime Member CSFA
                  IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Our issue's has been 1) Finding volunteers and 2) When we do. They usually turn out to be there just so they can call themselves FF and are usually no good to those of us that are there because we love doing the job.

So for us. Finding people has been a struggle in every way!

Comment

Well.........

Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post

Our Auto Crash Rescue Demos are done with Victims that are made up to look the part. The Demo starts with the Apparatus driving up and carries all the way through to the "Patients" being loaded into the Ambulance. With other Equipment on Display, and with the Display Equipment staffed by people who know how to use it, and explain why and how we do things, we make out pretty well.....
                      In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

finding voluntares is really a tough job , we once were on finding voulntares or making voluntares . it actually was like a campaign . and a person once said to me who the h on earth have time to being a voluntare . that thing really hurts me and i was under a shock.

Comment

Understaffed

We are in the same boat. Right now we run about 400 calls/yr between EMS and Fire. We only have two full-timers and about 15 paid-per-call. We also have no sleeping quarters so we have to respond from home to night time calls. This has added up to be a HUGE headache!

Comment

Volunteers needed

We are in a rural farm area 85 sq.miles and Volunteers are hard to find or like was said in a earlier form they are there just to be called a FF and can't be depended on .We have 44 on the roster and about 10 % show up . Now we have new rules as of the first of the year you have to be a FF I . What we have found is it hard to be a volunteer and go to class, to be a firefighter I and be a volunteer ( no Money paid ) Nobody has the extra money to do this and with budget cuts our dept surely don't have any ! We have 3 months left on our year and we are allready out of fuel money for our equipment and we have 15 trucks. We Ran over 400 calls last year and looks like we will break that this year !

Comment

Our department has a residency requirement. You must live within the town lines and for at least 6 months. You also cannot be on another department (ambulance service excluded). We have about thirty volunteers and three paid FFs. I find it strange that you can't find local volunteers. Benefits or incetives always work if you have the resources, but finding people that really love the fire service makes a huge difference. But I'm also not in your shoes. Good luck.

Comment

Like Harve we don't have a residency requirement at least there isn't one that I know of otherwise I wouldn't be with the department I am with now.

We run alot of MVA's and when we do have a volunteer staffing day, we normally get enough people to staff the engine or squad. The career staff usually staffs the medic unit and we can use them if we are short staffed.

Getting people to become volunteers is getting difficult. People don't want to do things for free and some think that if they do join the volunteers, that they will get paid or can become career fire fighters. They don't realize the amount of training that's involved to actually ride. Before you can step foot onto a rig you need FFI otherwise we'll leave you at the station.

We did have an open house last year and we got a decent turn out. I'm hoping we will do one this year and maybe get a few more people to show up and perhaps some will be interested in joining without getting paid to do it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X