WHY???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY???

My question is one that alot of folks are probably thinking, but might be to afraid to ask.My question is "Why must departments insist on hiring off of affirmative action?" I personally feel that no matter what race or sex someone is, if they can adequately perform the job----they deserve it. So if this is the case why should someone have preference on in a testing procedure just because they are a minority. I am sure many of you feel the same I do , but just wanted some other comments.
    K.A. Dempsey
    [email protected]
    "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow"

I agree with ya, but also this matter is somtimes above the department. Many times this is not the departments choice, but the practice of the City itself. Although this hiring practice may not effect other city jobs with the same dramatic effects as it does with the fire service. My sugestions are to simply find out what you can do to put the advantage in your court. Examples could include, working for the city in another field and transfer, Military points, reciving additional training such as EMT, Medic, Firefighter 1, firefighter 2, A degree in Fire related studdies. Rather than butting my head against a wall I have accepted these obsticles and have proceeded to counter, to put the ball in my court. These practices may change, however, if you want to be hired in the near future we just need to move on and over come.
    just trying to help
    pat
    let me know if im not clear

pat

Comment

It's called politics and it has permeated every aspect of our lives. I've had many a discussion regarding AA (esp having to do with college enrollment) and have heard decent arguments on both sides. However, if it were me lying in the back of a burning building, I'd want the best person for the job coming in after me. Just my humble opinion...
      "...you're such a gentle soul, it's killing me to know, when will i see your face?" -Vince Gill

Comment

well I am going to dive in here and just have at it. ihave seen many that can do the job but,BUT there are those that just want it for the time off and all the perks.IF YOU CANT DO THE JOB DONT APPLY!!!!I have no problem with any race or gender being firefighters(if they can do the job no problem)AA really helps some but sometimes it hinders others. like us dedicated men women black white asian whatever that can do teh job and LOVE the job.

Comment

I feel AA is like saying that a group of people are not as good as everyone else, so they need to be divided and get special prviledges. Why would anyone want to be a part of that. Sounds pretty degrading to me.

I definitely agree with the best "person" should get the job. We are living in the 2000's, not the 50's or 60's.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X