starting out-want to know about getting a full-time job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting out-want to know about getting a full-time job

This could seem like a funny question, i dunno. How do you get started like career-wise firefighting. Is it pretty much whatever states are testing and/or accepting applications, or do you just go to the city and apply anytime? NOW, the most important part, what all about training. all or most firefighters have to be trained paramedics right? what else do you have to know. I've wanted and needed to be a firefighter all my life, and i want to make sure i can be one. Can anyone please tell me what you have yo go through to be one. Im very physically fit w/no health problems or anything, i dont drink or anything, never had any traffic violations, or committed crimes etc. I do wear glasses (is that alright)? and finally, i dont know if there is a choice or not, but, it is possible to JUST be a fireman, your not like forced to move around dept. jobs are you? Should I go to college for it? I don't want to because i want to start or start applying ASAP. what is the usual min. age? im 17. THANKS VERY MUCH. -LOGAN

Well there are alot of answers for your questions, about as many as there are departments..

Each state has their own requirments, and each department has their own.. not all require you to have training up front, and not all require Paramedic or even EMT. You need to look in the paper, call each department ask for information on when they are hiring and what their requirements are. you can also look up www.usajobs.opm.gov/a6.htm and chose series 081 for federal firefighting jobs. (Be advised the pay is not as low as they show) they are showing only for 40 hours a week and you would work 72 a week.. ALso www.ajb.dni.us and job seekers look up Fire or firefighter and that lists public jobs also various city and countys all over the US... plus your local employment office.

beyond all that, any education and training that you have will help you get that career. try volunteering for a local department, get some experience in.. that usually helps alot more, plus alot of the departments will pay for some of your training up to at least the minimum for the area/department.

hope that helps..

Comment

In New Jersey the best advice I could give is as follows:
      1)Find out which departments have residency requirements.
      2)Get prepared for the test. Get into shape and take any study course you can, to give you the edge.
      3)Having your EMT is always a plus when it comes down to the final review.

Keep taking the tests, even for experience so you know what to expect for the next time.
      I can honestly say whoever wants the job the most and will work for it, will get it.

------------------
      NJ/FMBA is good.
      Go NY Yankees!!!!

Comment

After 28 years in the fire service, my advice to you is to go and get your Associate of Fire Science Degree. Most Community Colleges offer this. Then go and get your EMT certification, this takes about 4 to 5 months depending on who gives the course. If you have a volunteer or on call dept near you, join that. Then start writing the various cities you might want to consider. Many will take your name and advise you when applications are being accepted. Also keep looking in the employment section here in firehouse. You should also check out any schools that offer firefighter 1 and 2 courses, most smaller departments do not want to pay for those courses. If you choose not to that just try applying to the larger cities with thier own academys. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by FireLt1951 (edited 01-22-2001).]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X